Atheist Volunteers coming soon, will you help break the stereotype?
I'm proud to announce (early) that the Rational Response Squad will be heading up a project to help break an incorrect stereotype that atheists aren't charitable or giving. We constantly hear the ridiculous claim that not only are atheists less charitable but they're less moral, even though we have scientific stats on our side to prove quite the contrary. Since theists don't want to embrace the science, maybe they'll get the message clearer if they can actually see us at work, doing good as atheists, not just as people (which has been our preferred method of charity in the past). Our own "Tomcat" will work as Manager of the entire project. This'll be his baby, and he'll be the main man to address concerns, and our face in the media when the time comes. A big kudos and thanks to Tomcat for his strong interest and dedication to this project.
This is a longterm project for us, look forward to us to break the mold, and engage in a variety of charitable causes. And we'll want your involvement! The various chapters of the Rational Response Squad that have been popping up (more details on how to start one soon) will be getting involved in these projects. If you're a fan of this idea or have ideas to help show the world how giving and caring we really are, please strike up conversation in this thread.
Here are some things we're thinking about:
- We have shirts for our activities in public like "Atheist Volunteer" and "I do good things, and I don't believe in a God" AV STORE IS UP: http://www.cafepress.com/respondrational/2535158
- Donation drives to assist in helping victims of natural disasters (a theist must believe these atrocities are committed by a God).
- Engaging in environmental cleanups
- Hands on assistance for natural disasters.
- Clothing drives and toy drives for the needy
- Assistance at homeless shelters
- As we grow in size and find the right people, we want to go to impoverished nations to assist (hands on).
- All of our charity work will be tracked, records kept, pictures taken and available permanently for viewing.
Good ideas that have come from this thread:
- A book drive for libraries with our old books. (idea: un0)
- Donation of frequent flyer miles to soldiers so they can see their families. (idea: un0)
- YEAH!! A secular org that helps victims of war! Short video on victims (idea: Chad - philly atheist, Chad appears halfway through that virst video for a moment) Also: Abdul Hakim
- http://www.foodnotbombs.net/ (idea: Chad)
- Another plug for http://www.nomorevictims.org/projectguides.php
- your idea?
- your idea?
KoRnYAtheist wrote:You've gotten all my idea's.
Why did you post that picture? Exactly what are you trying to say by posting that?
It's in his signature. It's cool bri.
Quote:whatever you decide to do, i want to be on record as saying that any contributing financially to any faith-based organization by the RRS is highly counterproductive, damaging, and dangerous, and in general just a really bad idea.
i agree. the christian based organization my home health nurse suggested i donate my supples too required the recipients "accept jesus christ as their lord and savior." so, if you're in a third world country you can get free medical treatment as long as you convert? great.
Thats all well and good, but I'm not seeing a better option from either of you. So tell me, what do I do witht he bags of clothes, shoes, jackes, toys...etc? Throw them away?
We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins