"You're an atheist because _____"

MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

How many of us have been told be believers that we're atheists because we just want to be rebellious, or we don't want to live under the restrictions of a god, or we're just immoral, or some other stupid reason (feel free to say other you've heard)? No, how about because your religion is self-contradictory, not very moral when you really look at it, and contradicts science and common sense! Laughing out loud

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
Posts: 256
Joined: 2006-04-13
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

God cannot be true because it beyond sense.
I'm an atheist because once my brain had devloped enough, I thought about it properly.
Ohh, only time I think I saw some bad associations made was that "atheists are just atheists to be agnsty".

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.


LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I was once told by a theist that the reason why I don't see god is because of my logic and reasoning. I said...bingo. He said if I just shut out my logic, I would see god. I said, I can't just stop thinking, you on the other hand still have time to wake up. He gave up trying to convert me. I think you may know him as Truth Dealer on Myspace. and other forums.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Yeah, and if I shut of my logic, I might believe that I was Napoleon or that pouring ice cream into computers makes them work better. Of course neither of these things is true, but hey! Laughing out loud

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


qwak
Posts: 124
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

fucking rebellious ass atheists.

yeah, I hear it from my mom all the time.

so I just start quoting, and she shuts up

music

http//www.myspace.com/antiqwak


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

My mom gives me shit too, even though I haven't fully told her. When she saw my copy of Freethought Today, I told her I was Agnostic. Technically, this was true. I considered myself Agnostic since I was about 16. This was about a year and a half ago. I am now 32, and have only considered myself an atheist about a year. She told me I was going to hell. She got kind of mad when I laughed.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


qwak
Posts: 124
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I went through that when I was 15.

My mother sitting on the couch, after I started laughing, she started crying and then threatened to call the police on me if I didn't go to church.. I just laughed harder. But at least she didnt waste her time calling the police.

On my 18th birthday, after getting home from work, sitting down to dinner by myself I heard her say to my sister "Jesus won't love you if you don't clean your room".

I began laughing so hard I had to leave the house.

fortunately enough, my sister is now also an atheist.

music

http//www.myspace.com/antiqwak


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I'd have replied "The Tooth Fairy will get mad at you if you don't stop talking about Jesus!" Laughing out loud

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


qwak
Posts: 124
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I'll have to keep that one in mind.


shorty
Posts: 120
Joined: 2006-05-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

im lucky, my mom is a rare breed, Laughing out loud a TOLERANT christian which is willing to listen to reason believes in evolution, and allows me to openly express my atheism. she thinks people that KNOW their going to heaven are morons, and admits that you cant prove jesus or god or the holy spirit existed. in fact she enjoys atheist talk radio as i do and when i said "i want to see the god who wasnt there" she told me she wants to see it too.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


BethG
BethG's picture
Posts: 83
Joined: 2006-02-24
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

My mom was a tolerant Christian too. Well, with one atheist daughter and one lesbian daughter, how could she not be? Laughing out loud

Actually, I kind of felt bad about it when she was sick (cancer) because she didn't feel like she could talk to me about some things. Like her belief in an afterlife. (I know this because she told me.)


HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
Posts: 256
Joined: 2006-04-13
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Oh, heh, my mom is the one most torn up over my atheism, she thinks its a failing as a monther, and I guess thats what happens when you get raised catholic in rural Ireland during the 1940s-60s by a devout mother and father (my grandparents).

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.


qwak
Posts: 124
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

1640's to 60's?

do you come from a family of irish vampires or something? Eye-wink


Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
Posts: 1390
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I'm an atheist because I think and I'm not afraid of where those thoughts take me.

Hard to explain it any differently, really.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Yeah, if you really think logically, atheism is the only explanation that makes sense.


Klarky
Klarky's picture
Posts: 70
Joined: 2006-04-10
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Always been one, an atheist that is, despite going to a church school, (didn't seem like it though). I never really thought too hard about the whole thing until I was in my mid 20's. Then it was only because I became interested in Anthropology, Psychology and Science in general.
As long as I can remember religious people gave me the creeps, and their opinions and explainations always seemed counter-intuative.

Long and short of it is; Theism just doesn't add up and it's not in my nature to believe something just to conform.


shorty
Posts: 120
Joined: 2006-05-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

part of it for me was that i found it illogical another reason im an athiest is my morality the old testament show a violent evil god

26 So he stood at the entrance to the camp and said, "Whoever is for the LORD, come to me." And all the Levites rallied to him.

27 Then he said to them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.' " 28 The Levites did as Moses commanded, and that day about three thousand of the people died.

caring loving and moral god eh?

24 I myself will be hostile toward you and will afflict you for your sins seven times over. 25 And I will bring the sword upon you to avenge the breaking of the covenant. When you withdraw into your cities, I will send a plague among you, and you will be given into enemy hands. 26 When I cut off your supply of bread, ten women will be able to bake your bread in one oven, and they will dole out the bread by weight. You will eat, but you will not be satisfied

this isnt our fault... god apparently has an obsession with the number seven

also wouldnt that make god the ultimate sinner after all he commits all sinx7 just a thought

Deuteronomy 21
Atonement for an Unsolved Murder
1 If a man is found slain, lying in a field in the land the LORD your God is giving you to possess, and it is not known who killed him, 2 your elders and judges shall go out and measure the distance from the body to the neighboring towns. 3 Then the elders of the town nearest the body shall take a heifer that has never been worked and has never worn a yoke 4 and lead her down to a valley that has not been plowed or planted and where there is a flowing stream. There in the valley they are to break the heifer's neck. 5 The priests, the sons of Levi, shall step forward, for the LORD your God has chosen them to minister and to pronounce blessings in the name of the LORD and to decide all cases of dispute and assault. 6 Then all the elders of the town nearest the body shall wash their hands over the heifer whose neck was broken in the valley, 7 and they shall declare: "Our hands did not shed this blood, nor did our eyes see it done. 8 Accept this atonement for your people Israel, whom you have redeemed, O LORD, and do not hold your people guilty of the blood of an innocent man." And the bloodshed will be atoned for. 9 So you will purge from yourselves the guilt of shedding innocent blood, since you have done what is right in the eyes of the LORD.

basically if you dont know who killed someone you should find a close person and kill them... yeah who needs detectives

A Rebellious Son
18 If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." 21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.
Various Laws

yes we should all stone our disobedient children a core point of morality

THIS IS WHY BELIEF THAT THE BIBLE IS A GOOD SOURCE OF MORALITY IS IRRATIONAL

feel free to use these example when someone gives you all that morality shit

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


shorty
Posts: 120
Joined: 2006-05-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

oh forgot scary jesus quote

33But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.

34"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35For I have come to turn
" 'a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her motherinlaw?

WOW... they accept this guy as a personal savior... thats like having pat robertson as a biologist... or any other science for that matter

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


PennyTentury
Posts: 1
Joined: 2006-06-14
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

This is my first post. when i was in the sixth grade i attended a very creepy neighbohood baptist church, to visit with my great grandma, believe it or not. The minister Eric Miller has become a loathsome neocon in Indiana, and has harbored child molesters in their 'school' since i ws a kid. anyhow, I hightailed it out of there when my sunday school teacher argued against the existence of dinosaurs! things weren't making much sense before that and the sleepovers in the gymnasium and the ministers house were wierd. He was hot after my little brother to join, personally coming to our house every week to preach the gospels and try to persuade us through our screen door.

I was also beat up by two brothers in middle school for stating that i did not believe in god, not to mention I had feminist leanings that didn't sit well within our little working class clan.

Some of my best friens are white guys.


LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

PennyTentury wrote:
This is my first post. when i was in the sixth grade i attended a very creepy neighbohood baptist church, to visit with my great grandma, believe it or not. The minister Eric Miller has become a loathsome neocon in Indiana, and has harbored child molesters in their 'school' since i ws a kid. anyhow, I hightailed it out of there when my sunday school teacher argued against the existence of dinosaurs! things weren't making much sense before that and the sleepovers in the gymnasium and the ministers house were wierd. He was hot after my little brother to join, personally coming to our house every week to preach the gospels and try to persuade us through our screen door.

I was also beat up by two brothers in middle school for stating that i did not believe in god, not to mention I had feminist leanings that didn't sit well within our little working class clan.

Welcome to RRS, you will find friends here. Glad you could join. Smiling
I had a wierd Confession experience with a Catholic Priest one time when I was a kid..yeah..needless to say, it was the last time I confessed my sins.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2006-06-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Well, my task was quite very very easy... my parents were those who brought atheism into my life, after they were forced to have my grandparents grow me for a few years because of a revolution in my country (no, I'm not from US, if that's what you wonder), where I got a "solid" religious education.

I have to admit that was actually benefical, since I had to study every little concept of religion, before being told that it was "a big pile of ..." by my father. That's when the "big questions" finally had their answers in my mind, and that's when I started to notice how dumb and ignorant most people really are. And I had a head start in destroying their arguments.

I'm actually amused to read posts like "I was also beat up by two brothers in middle school for stating that i did not believe in god, not to mention I had feminist leanings that didn't sit well within our little working class clan" (no offense, PennyTentury)... when people found out that me and my parents were devout atheists, they said something like "OK, well, what can I say... are you gonna finish today that beer so we can have another?"

Conditions in my country are rather relaxed... nobody gives a damn about what your beliefs are, as long as they are not bothered in a social or financial way... and considering that atheism can do very little to bother anyone from a financial or social point of view, that kind of means that you can walk the streets with a T-Shirt with "Screw God, embrace Satan" printed in huge letters, all you MIGHT get are a few curious looks.

As for the question "why did I became an atheist", I can only say that it isn't in my nature to believe in something that should not be researched on. I converted to atheism when I was 8 years old, almost 15 years ago, so I can say I didn't exactly believe in God... what would you expect a 7-years old to believe?... Though I still cannot imagine me as a believer above that age.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/


LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
Well, my task was quite very very easy... my parents were those who brought atheism into my life, after they were forced to have my grandparents grow me for a few years because of a revolution in my country (no, I'm not from US, if that's what you wonder), where I got a "solid" religious education.

I have to admit that was actually benefical, since I had to study every little concept of religion, before being told that it was "a big pile of ..." by my father. That's when the "big questions" finally had their answers in my mind, and that's when I started to notice how dumb and ignorant most people really are. And I had a head start in destroying their arguments.

I'm actually amused to read posts like "I was also beat up by two brothers in middle school for stating that i did not believe in god, not to mention I had feminist leanings that didn't sit well within our little working class clan" (no offense, PennyTentury)... when people found out that me and my parents were devout atheists, they said something like "OK, well, what can I say... are you gonna finish today that beer so we can have another?"

Conditions in my country are rather relaxed... nobody gives a damn about what your beliefs are, as long as they are not bothered in a social or financial way... and considering that atheism can do very little to bother anyone from a financial or social point of view, that kind of means that you can walk the streets with a T-Shirt with "Screw God, embrace Satan" printed in huge letters, all you MIGHT get are a few curious looks.

As for the question "why did I became an atheist", I can only say that it isn't in my nature to believe in something that should not be researched on. I converted to atheism when I was 8 years old, almost 15 years ago, so I can say I didn't exactly believe in God... what would you expect a 7-years old to believe?... Though I still cannot imagine me as a believer above that age.

What country are you from?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2006-06-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Oops, sorry, I forgot to mention that... I'm Romanian.

Hope none of those present have any hard feelings against romanians... we do have quite a "reputation" outside of scamming, thievery, etc. The reason is that we have a lot of gypsies (more known as People of Rrom or "tsigan", originating, as is believed, from the area of northern India, do keep in mind that their origins are still more speculation than fact), which have an extremely low standard of living (and unfortunately a very low morale standard) thus resorting to bribery, theft, etc. to satisfy their needs and pleasures... Romanians, native ones, being tolerant and quite open-minded, simply do not have the necessary cold blood to just drive them away.

So I hope my presence here doesn't bother anyone... I've been an atheist, as I said, since about 8 years old, and I've recently found this site while browsing for more information on atheist- and humanist-related topics.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/


LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
Oops, sorry, I forgot to mention that... I'm Romanian.

Hope none of those present have any hard feelings against romanians... we do have quite a "reputation" outside of scamming, thievery, etc. The reason is that we have a lot of gypsies (more known as People of Rrom or "tsigan", originating, as is believed, from the area of northern India, do keep in mind that their origins are still more speculation than fact), which have an extremely low standard of living (and unfortunately a very low morale standard) thus resorting to bribery, theft, etc. to satisfy their needs and pleasures... Romanians, native ones, being tolerant and quite open-minded, simply do not have the necessary cold blood to just drive them away.

So I hope my presence here doesn't bother anyone... I've been an atheist, as I said, since about 8 years old, and I've recently found this site while browsing for more information on atheist- and humanist-related topics.

I seriously doubt anyone here is anti-romanian. Smiling welcome, you've found a good place to chat.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Anonymous
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I'm an atheist because I cling faithfully to the myth of evolutionary religion in order to justify looking at pornography.


todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
Posts: 2811
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I am atheist because it's possible to be one, which should not be the case in a world created by an omnipotent, omniscient god who requires that I know of his existence to be saved.

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I'm an atheist because I don't have a reason to be a theist. I'm an atheist for the same reason I am without belief in Re-alits, Snarfwidgets, Utopisats, and Invisible Pink Unicorns.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Sapient wrote:
I'm an atheist because I don't have a reason to be a theist. I'm an atheist for the same reason I am without belief in Re-alits, Snarfwidgets, Utopisats, and Invisible Pink Unicorns.

uh..come on now.. you know Snarfwidgets are REAL!!!! They hang out with Tulupas in antartica..with the yellow bellied gopher snatchers.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

LeftofLarry wrote:
Sapient wrote:
I'm an atheist because I don't have a reason to be a theist. I'm an atheist for the same reason I am without belief in Re-alits, Snarfwidgets, Utopisats, and Invisible Pink Unicorns.

uh..come on now.. you know Snarfwidgets are REAL!!!! They hang out with Tulupas in antartica..with the yellow bellied gopher snatchers.

Blasphemy! How dare you say Snarfwidgets are real when we know that the Flying Spaghetti Monster killed all of them off in the Great War of 602! Notice I said nothing about lacking belief in the great FSM.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2006-06-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Hey ! What's with the Flying Spaghetti Monster ? We're building a first church for him here in Romania, but it takes a lot of spaghetti, and Italy, under an order from Vatican, will not send us any more. Would you like to contribute?

OK, seriously now. What's with the FSM ?

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2006-06-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

That had to be one of the best laughs I've had in my life ! The idea is GREAT ! Smiling


spentley
Posts: 64
Joined: 2006-06-29
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

This is also my first post here too. I can remember quite clear, the time I became athiest. I was 15 or so at the time, and being raised protestant was always confused when it came to my religion. Thankfully, confirmation.. opened my eyes, [and i believe it was because i was already 13ish, at the time.. already learned quite a bit about evolution/general science in school]. After all the teachings in church, i was almost certain, that none of it could be true, if what I was learning in school was true..

naturally... I continued to think about what was happening.. and how two things that conflict each other could both be true. And still wonder to this day, how someone who knows this can be theist.

obviously, i came to the conclusion that there was no god, after several questions to my pastor and parents.. that could not be answered, or "would not be answered"

I was really lucky that even though my parents were protestant, they never really cared that I didn't believe in it anymore.

my family actually strayed away from the church as time went on, and my little sister didn't even take confirmation there. Now she is convinced that she is catholic, and told me that the reason why I'm atheist is because of pessimistic views occuring because of bad things that have happened to me

I think the level of extremism the catholic church uses, has brainwashed her deeply.

God is the omnimax creator by definition of major religions. If there is evidence that the religion is incorrect about the nature of reality, then there is evidence that the God the religion defines does not exist.


shorty
Posts: 120
Joined: 2006-05-18
User is offlineOffline
Re: "You're an atheist because _____"

of you!


CynageN
Posts: 101
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I'm an atheist because the thought of basing my life on theology makes me physically ill, and very angry. I couldn't lie to myself on a daily basis as is required for dogmatic religions.


shorty
Posts: 120
Joined: 2006-05-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

PennyTentury wrote:
This is my first post. when i was in the sixth grade i attended a very creepy neighbohood baptist church, to visit with my great grandma, believe it or not. The minister Eric Miller has become a loathsome neocon in Indiana, and has harbored child molesters in their 'school' since i ws a kid. anyhow, I hightailed it out of there when my sunday school teacher argued against the existence of dinosaurs! things weren't making much sense before that and the sleepovers in the gymnasium and the ministers house were wierd. He was hot after my little brother to join, personally coming to our house every week to preach the gospels and try to persuade us through our screen door.

I was also beat up by two brothers in middle school for stating that i did not believe in god, not to mention I had feminist leanings that didn't sit well within our little working class clan.

what nice people. ill invite them to dinner.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


shorty
Posts: 120
Joined: 2006-05-18
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

LeftofLarry wrote:
PennyTentury wrote:
This is my first post. when i was in the sixth grade i attended a very creepy neighbohood baptist church, to visit with my great grandma, believe it or not. The minister Eric Miller has become a loathsome neocon in Indiana, and has harbored child molesters in their 'school' since i ws a kid. anyhow, I hightailed it out of there when my sunday school teacher argued against the existence of dinosaurs! things weren't making much sense before that and the sleepovers in the gymnasium and the ministers house were wierd. He was hot after my little brother to join, personally coming to our house every week to preach the gospels and try to persuade us through our screen door.

I was also beat up by two brothers in middle school for stating that i did not believe in god, not to mention I had feminist leanings that didn't sit well within our little working class clan.

Welcome to RRS, you will find friends here. Glad you could join. Smiling
I had a wierd Confession experience with a Catholic Priest one time when I was a kid..yeah..needless to say, it was the last time I confessed my sins.

me confessing my sins would be like cartman confessing his sins on south park (the pastor would strangle me for what i did to his holy water...jk).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Serinya_Tooley
Posts: 5
Joined: 2006-07-09
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I'm an athiest because there is no proof that there is a God and until i see proof i will not believe.

Many have made a trade of delusions and false miracles decieving the stupid multitude.


peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
Posts: 539
Joined: 2006-08-14
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I think I've always been an atheist. I've never really accepted there being a god or whatever shit they pull out of their ass. Since I was little I went to this Hebrew school on weekends and starting in about 7th grade and up I'd argue with the rabbi and teachers about their bullshit. I even got through to one guy, who was like "Wow, I guess I always just believed what I was told".

it's good to make a difference

It was such crap. I hated having a Bat Mitzvah, because now everyone who remember it goes "oh, you're not jewish? but you had a Bat Mitzvah!"

I live in a jew/xtian community, where most are rich jewish kids. my dad's side of the family are complete jewish nuts, and it annoys me that i feel like if they knew i was a "nonbeliever", they wouldn't like me so much anymore.

sad, isn't it?

even my mom was like "well i think religion is bullshit, but i think you should just tell people you're nonreligious. people might take it the wrong way"

wtf? be true to your beliefs.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I'm an atheist because I was the only kid in an auditorium full of ~400 nine and ten year olds that was laughing when the 'creation scientist' was telling us about mankind and dinosaurs living together. It was at Hanging Rock Christian Academy summer camp in West Lebanon, IN.
When asked by the speaker why I was laughing, I responded with, "I guess Noah just didn't have enough room on the ark for them." (Nine year old humor is so droll. lol.) No one laughed with me, so I began to cry and left the auditorium.
Twelve hours later of debating science and religion with camp 'counselors'/Gestapho, I called my granddad and grandma to come and get me. Grandpa just asked me why I couldn't keep my mouth shut and enjoy camp. lol. I think Grandma regretted spoiling the kid with a good education and any book he wanted. She was still proud of me and I believe that I was the favorite grandkid for both of them. My mom was indifferent.
I never even heard the word 'atheist' until I was like 14 in history class. AND (believe it or not) that was the year that I first heard Lennon's song 'Imagine'.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Abandoned_Mind
atheist
Abandoned_Mind's picture
Posts: 56
Joined: 2006-02-15
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

I'm atheist because why not?

I'm anti-theist because they have gone too far.


peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
Posts: 539
Joined: 2006-08-14
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Not only am I very intelligent and love philosophy, ever since (maybe before?) 6th or 7th grade I starte to realize it was frankly bullshit to tell yourself someone cared about your every fucking move and that we should follow some ancient text thing and base our entire lives around it. I realized a lot, including that there are more valid, reasonable and interesting possible explanations for life than simply "God woke up, got bored and put us there".

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby


spentley
Posts: 64
Joined: 2006-06-29
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

peppermint wrote:
"God woke up, got bored and put us there".

haha. That brought something to mind.

So what exactly was God doing before he created everything?

(other than being bored, because there obviously was NOTHING.
AND why is that funny, but yet people seem to think its valid)

God is the omnimax creator by definition of major religions. If there is evidence that the religion is incorrect about the nature of reality, then there is evidence that the God the religion defines does not exist.


Serinya_Tooley
Posts: 5
Joined: 2006-07-09
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

peppermint wrote:
"God woke up, got bored and put us there".

Lol.You are so right.Its just too hard to belive someting like that.And yes,what was he doing before he put us here?I think its safe to say he wasnt watching American Idol or something...that is,if he even exists...

Many have made a trade of delusions and false miracles decieving the stupid multitude.


jester700
Posts: 105
Joined: 2006-06-27
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

What WAS he doing from the infinite beginning until 6,000 years ago? Pulling his godly pud? Maybe that's where the milky way comes from... Eye-wink


peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
Posts: 539
Joined: 2006-08-14
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

jester700 wrote:
What WAS he doing from the infinite beginning until 6,000 years ago? Pulling his godly pud? Maybe that's where the milky way comes from... Eye-wink

fucking ingenious. we must inform the christians.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

Reminds me of a joke:

What's white and rains from the sky?

The coming of the Lord. Laughing out loud

Christians think they'll go to Hell for telling that one.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Serinya_Tooley
Posts: 5
Joined: 2006-07-09
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because _____"

lmao!Never heard that one before.I will have to tell my boyfriend that.He will love it.


Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
Posts: 210
Joined: 2006-08-27
User is offlineOffline
ROFL!

ROFL!

I have always been an Atheist.
the first time I heard about god was in about grade 1. I was killling some ants, and another kid said "don't do that, or god will give it back to you" (i.e. squash you)

so I squashed some more ants, and nothing happened to me.

from then on, I have never believed in a god.

I think it also may be that I've always been a thinking person. I found maths really easy, and I wondered how everybody else was getting things wrong so often.
and I could also read and write competently at a very early age. I could read whole sentances when everybody else was struggling to understand single words. I could even read upside-down.

at an early age, I'd already decided that I wouldn't believe in a god, because it didn't make too much sense, even at that time, that a magical man in the sky was watching over everybody, watching for our every mistake.

I'm 17 now, and about as strong an Atheist as I've ever been.


MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
"I'm an atheist because",,,I

"I'm an atheist because"...I went to a lot of different kind of churches growing up and could never get down with the way people carry on and take away their own dignity. They make themselves cry and shake their heads with their eyes closed chanting, "Thank you Jesus, thank you jesus, thank you jesus."

Then, you are supposed to go around and shake people's hands. Strangers. So guess what? When you see them out somewhere like the grocery store or something, you gotta smile at them or make small talk. It's the fake talk, too. And neither of you really wants to do it because you know they saw you acting like a fool in church and vise-versa.

Then, if this stuff on the surface was not enough, it's the hypocrisy of the teachings. Well, I could go on here but I gotta go make dinner for my little heathens. Laughing out loud


highraven
highraven's picture
Posts: 16
Joined: 2006-10-03
User is offlineOffline
:claps:

I have become an atheist for preatty much the same reason.. I was raised in the church and for the most part was a devout follower..but now that im older and in college i did one simple thing that changed everything...I began to think... and when I started to think...my eyes opened to the truth of how "religion" pulls the wool over our eyes so to speak..but offering no proof just blind faith? what is up with that.my mom who is in her early 70's is a devout follower whenever we get into an argument about religion her responses are predictable..."Its in the bible so its true"...but if god doesnt exist that makes the bible just a book..."Well the preacher on t.v. said...." so you want to be a blind sheep following anything that offers something? How many of these preachers can you really trust? but anyways...thankfully I found this sight you have made me feel more....comfortable with my descion...Plus I have been to many different denominations and they are all the same...."only our beliefs get you to heaven...not theirs" wow I though god wanted us to be all forgiving and accepting? well guess they need some work on that. Until christians can get it together and offer some proof not some just believe crap but some rock hard evidence..I will stay Athiest

-----------------------------------------------------------------
And Jesus said to the sheep " I shall make you blind and lame, so you may never know the truth"