Friday the 13th is unlucky

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Friday the 13th is unlucky

It's timely to put this today. Believing that a certain date/day of the week is somehow "unlucky" is pretty irrational.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:It's

MattShizzle wrote:
It's timely to put this today. Believing that a certain date/day of the week is somehow "unlucky" is pretty irrational.

I agree. Superstitions are pretty silly.
Add to that the fact I've never had a bad friday the 13th EVER. I think people who ALREADY believe it's unlucky tend to overexaggerate little bad things that do happen on Friday the 13th.

The nocebo effect in action. LOL

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Good point. I have a cousin

Good point. I have a cousin who is 3 years younger than me named "Jason" and he always acted weird on Fri 13th to fuck with people.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's a good article about

Here's a good article about the belief of 13 being unlucky along with the phases of the moon:

http://www.cicap.org/en_artic/at101023.htm

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Brownyman
Brownyman's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL

I was born on Friday the 13th Laughing out loud

Razorcade
ModeratorRRS Core Member
Razorcade's picture
User is offlineOffline
Friday the 13th

Well that sort of begs the question, on that day, "what if I walk under a ladder, step on a crack, all while a black cat crosses my path"?

neon
neon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Or what if you make it

Or what if you make it through Friday the 13th fine, and you think you're all cool and everything, and you're so happy you're whistling and looking up at the sky on Saturday the 14th, and you step off the curb and get hit by a bus?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I remember reading about

I remember reading about this club that would meet every Friday the 13th, and at their meetings they would break mirrors, walk under ladders, have black cats cross their paths, open umbrellas indoors, etc.

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
FSGP (Margaret Dowmey's

FSGP (Margaret Downey's group) does that every year or two.

They do it down at the Ethical Society in Philly.Here are the details

I go every time. This year I was the "non-prophet" at the party. Dressing like Moses and carrying a big staff gets you some respect, especially with the ladies.

Shaun

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.