Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes.  Watch the selection

Yes.

Watch the selection at the top left.  It counts down, not up.  Starts at 5:53, and at the end of the video it's at 5:51.  It means they spliced three segments together, but blink the top left frame, so sometimes it blinks the same time, and you don't notice it changing.  They change scenes in the context of the flashing lights, so your eyes don't notice the pattern is broken, you think you're watching one continuous footage instead of spliced footage.  It was excellently done. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
nice catch, rook. how did

nice catch, rook. how did that slip by the "court tv" editors? or did they just not care?

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
people are more inclined to

people are more inclined to believe things at face value then look at things more critically.  I wonder if it was, in fact, the editors of the show who editted that footage in the first place.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote: Yes.

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

Yes.

Watch the selection at the top left. It counts down, not up. Starts at 5:53, and at the end of the video it's at 5:51. It means they spliced three segments together, but blink the top left frame, so sometimes it blinks the same time, and you don't notice it changing. They change scenes in the context of the flashing lights, so your eyes don't notice the pattern is broken, you think you're watching one continuous footage instead of spliced footage. It was excellently done.

Nice catch.

I certainly didn’t believe any supernatural explanation, but on initial viewing it’s certainly weird/puzzling

I think with these things people tend to focus on specifics (in this case: the car, the fence) and forget about the whole.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote:

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

Yes.

Watch the selection at the top left. It counts down, not up. Starts at 5:53, and at the end of the video it's at 5:51. It means they spliced three segments together, but blink the top left frame, so sometimes it blinks the same time, and you don't notice it changing. They change scenes in the context of the flashing lights, so your eyes don't notice the pattern is broken, you think you're watching one continuous footage instead of spliced footage. It was excellently done.

I dunno...

I don't see any evidence of splicing. That timer is counting down throughout the video, and the time is counting up. It's all consistent and chronological (except for that one part). So, I don't see how that top left could be evidence of tampering at all. If someone replaced the top left part of the video so not to make the splicing obvious -- in which case they did an amazing job -- it would still make the readings on those timers irrelevant to the question of whether or not the video has been messed with. The timer counting down goes from 5:54, then to 5:52 after they skip like a min, then changes to 5:51 on its own.

As far as the splicing during the flashes, it could be. But they don't seem bright enough to me. But then again, maybe the bursts are so short that I don't notice them. So, I watched the surrounding in the video, like the street lights and anything I can make out in the darkness. I make sure everything passes by the camera, nothing suddenly disappears and nothing suddenly appears. I went over the few really bright flashes a few times to make sure everything was the same before and after the flash.

Though, I don't get that part where they say the car just appears again in the blink of an eye. Surely they don't mean to say that that was continuous footage when they skip more than a min of it and the cops are on an entirely different road all of a sudden. It wasn't spliced during a flash, it was just too obvious.

But when it comes to the fence, the fleeing car does turn a good bit before the cop car. I mean, the cop has to hit his brakes and cut it pretty sharp to bring it around, bringing him to face the fence right on. The "ghost car", on the other hand, turned sooner and easier, bringing him to a different part of the fence than is shown by the camera, and at a different angle. Maybe there was a gate or opening there that the driver knew about. All we see, after losing sight of the car, are tail lights on the other side of the fence, meaning that the driver had turned away from the fence after clearing it.

Now, if we got to hear the cop yelling "WTF" or something, then it might be a bit more convincing. But the cop doesn't seem to be too surprised. But who knows, maybe he was in shock.

But really...

The real answer is that 'godidit.'

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Krehlic wrote: Maybe there

Krehlic wrote:
Maybe there was a gate or opening there that the driver knew about. All we see, after losing sight of the car, are tail lights on the other side of the fence, meaning that the driver had turned away from the fence after clearing it.

I was thinking something like this originally.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
Play from about 1:29 and

Play from about 1:29 and look at the top bar of the left fence as the lights illuminate it, does not look like something normal, it could be perspective, but it looks like its sloping downwards, might watch it a few times because the cops stop too close to get a full idea of the slant. The soundtrack has been mixed up all different ways so we can't hear weather or not there was a crash of a car running trough a fence.

In fact, playing 1:33-1:35 over and over again it looks like the horizontal pole is not connected to the vertical one on the far left. It looks like the guy might of just busted trough the gate. The supernatural speed and 'in a blink of an eye' things are painful edits. IMO, they made a ghost story out of GTA and Property damage.

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

Anonymous 234gf (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
late reaction

mayby its a late reaction.

but he can drive AROUND the fence right?

because before hes trough the fence hes out of sight

Tadgh
atheist
Tadgh's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you watch the time count

If you watch the time count above where it says "GardCityPD" you will see that it starts at 23:34:57 and then at around 23:35:57 it speeds up a little and jumps to 23:36:43 and a few seconds later it happens again.

Good eye there, Rook.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 The car could have also

The car could have also hit a partially open gate that then slammed back and closed...  I believe the video is sped up so that it's less boring.  There are a lot of logical explanations we just don't have a lot of data.  Editing the video just seems like too much trouble, I would have hopped for more of a WOW moment if that were the case.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
At 3:37:58, it appears that

At 3:37:58, it appears that the section of fence that we see in the frame, is the final section of fence.

The turning circle of the cop car prior to arriving at the fence, is huge, indicating the paved area near the fence is much, much larger than a normal 2 lane road.

By the angles, it appears that the lead car was able to turn just before the last section of fence, while the cop car wasn't.

In any event, the fact that they did not go back during the daytime, and film the area, tells me that there is nothing but the 'illusion' that something 'unexplainable' occurred.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris