US to outlaw 'common sense' patent applications

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
US to outlaw 'common sense' patent applications

The glut of seemingly obvious patents granted in the US in recent years could be invalidated by a Supreme Court decision last week.

In a ruling that shocked patent lawyers, the court said that a patent application should not be granted if it is "the product not of innovation but of ordinary skill and common sense".

Although the decision merely reaffirms code 103 of the US Patent Act, which outlaws patents on obvious inventions, the Supreme Court says lower courts have let this principle drift. In 1999 Amazon was infamously granted a patent on a system to "buy online with one mouse click".

The ruling was seized upon by internet phone firm Vonage, which was recently found to have infringed rival Verizon's patents. While denying Vonage a retrial, a federal court said it could use the ruling in its upcoming appeal.

From issue 2603 of New Scientist magazine, 11 May 2007, page 27

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/mg19426035.700-us-to-outlaw-common-sense-patent-applications.html

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dunno what to make of

I dunno what to make of this.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: In a ruling

Vastet wrote:
In a ruling that shocked patent lawyers

...because it means they loose much of their business...

Personally, I think the Supreme Court made a really good decision here.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Me too. People were going

Me too. People were going around looking at things that had been used for years, noticing there was no patent, and filing one themselves. Patents were being granted far too easily.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.