The Myth of Nazareth:
The Invented Town of Jesus

by René Salm

• Wholesale coverups have taken place in Nazareth archeology,
including the mislabeling, invention, and supression of evidence
• Nazareth came into being after 70 CE
• Where the angel Gabriel allegedly visited Mary
was in fact a Late Roman tomb
• and much more that will shock the Christian world!

For more information on this controversial title, please visit the website
http://www.nazarethmyth.info

where you will find the following:

-- An Interview with René Salm courtesy of DogmaFree America

-- Scandal Sheets documenting coverups in New Testament archeology (by priests and scholars alike)

-- an entertaining and educational Nazareth Quiz

-- a Comment Page where you can register YOUR opinion on this ground-breaking issue

-- and, of course, if you haven’t already read The Myth of Nazareth,
information on ordering this important work is available on the website.

“By demonstrating the fictive nature of Jesus of Nazareth, Mr. Salm has done a great service for science and civilization in general.”
—Frank R. Zindler, Ph.D

-------------- 

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you happen to know

Do you happen to know anything about this René Salm guy? I can't find any peer reviewed articles by him or perhaps where (if) he received his Ph.D. 

ttdm.blogspot.com

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unfortunately I came to the

Unfortunately I came to the same conclusion after I posted this.. I will keep looking, I thought I'd throw it out there..

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://dogmafreemerica.libsy

http://dogmafreemerica.libsyn.com

has an interview with him on Episodes 4 and 5 

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
I do not think Rene' Salm

I do not think Rene' Salm is claiming to have a PhD, however Frank R Zindler supports his claims....

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/frank_zindler/ 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote:•

LeftofLarry wrote:

• Wholesale coverups have taken place in Nazareth archeology,
including the mislabeling, invention, and supression of evidence
• Nazareth came into being after 70 CE
• Where the angel Gabriel allegedly visited Mary
was in fact a Late Roman tomb
• and much more that will shock the Christian world!

I doubt it will shock the the world, it's a claim that's been around for a while, and I think that it overstates the case. I think that Nazareth did exist, but in some very humble form (unlike its description in the gospels). Anyway, I check with Richard Carrier on this... not sure off the top of my head....

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:   I doubt

todangst wrote:

I doubt it will shock the the world, it's a claim that's been around for a while, and I think that it overstates the case. I think that Nazareth did exist, but in some very humble form (unlike its description in the gospels). Anyway, I think Richard Carrier doesn't consider it to be a good argument.

Well I'm sure the scholars will hash it out.... 

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I studied a little bit of

I studied a little bit of archaeology at A level (the level you do at about 17/18 years old). I would have to say that it is very hard to date a site as specifically as saying 70 CE, a site of that time could quite easily be from the year 0, unless of course there was a change in the styles of building or technologies found in the lowest strata of the settlement which could more specifically date it.

There are also disputes about whether or not Jesus was actually born (if he lived at all) in the year 0. Apparantly some early Christian scholar made a massive mistake in the date that has stuck ever since.

I'm not arguing either way, simply because I don't know the facts about the site of Nazareth. Given the way that religion and mythology work it wouldn't really surprise me if the title Jesus of Nazareth came later. In the Odyssey for example, Homer describes iron swords in some places, iron work did not exist in 1100-1300 BCE, but it did in 700 BCE when Homer was telling his tales. If authors of certain cultural tales (including religious tales) don't completely know the history then they may be inclined to ad lib and change the tales, they may not even consciously change it. If indeed Nazareth didn't exist in Jesus' time, it isn't really that surprising that he became known later as Jesus of Nazareth, especially if Nazareth became a symbol of liberation from the Romans.

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Makes for a good discussion

Makes for a good discussion I think.  Personally, I'm not too familiar with this.

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote: I do

LeftofLarry wrote:

I do not think Rene' Salm is claiming to have a PhD, however Frank R Zindler supports his claims....

But (no offense) Zindler's PhD seems to be in Biology. We all know how we dislike physicists that cross over into the realm of evolutionary science (Dembski anyone?), I'd unfortunately say that the same goes with archeology and history. You can't take seriously people who are not interacting with the particular area of interest they are reviewing. As far as Salm, I know nothing of him and until I see him either get a little more recognition or perhaps know what organizations he’s published with and what scholars he’s worked with I wouldn’t really consider his claims worth the time (once again no offense this is just the way my mind works).

ttdm.blogspot.com

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
cslewisster

cslewisster wrote:
LeftofLarry wrote:

But (no offense) Zindler's PhD seems to be in Biology. We all know how we dislike physicists that cross over into the realm of evolutionary science (Dembski anyone?), I'd unfortunately say that the same goes with archeology and history. You can't take seriously people who are not interacting with the particular area of interest they are reviewing.

They can be taken seriously if they rely on the proper experts in the field, but otherwise, yes, I agree in principle. 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would like to see Rook and

I would like to see Rook and Rich's take on this as it has been a discussion that has come up several times on whether Nazereth existed or not.  Tongue out

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gizmo wrote: I would like

Gizmo wrote:
I would like to see Rook and Rich's take on this as it has been a discussion that has come up several times on whether Nazereth existed or not. Tongue out

I have emailed Rook to get his take on this, hopefully he'll pitch in what he thinks.  This was sent to me through my secular organization's email.  So I decided it was interesting enough to post it here and see what people had to say. 

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
It's certainly an

It's certainly an interesting subject, I think it's just a question of reliability. It may or may not have something valid to say. I may look into it further.

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: They can

todangst wrote:

They can be taken seriously if they rely on the proper experts in the field, but otherwise, yes, I agree in principle.

Perhaps, but anyone can manipulate the experts to say what they'd like them to. I think peer review is the best way to know for sure that the ideas that you have are not incredibly un-credible. 

ttdm.blogspot.com

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
This claim is absolutely

This claim is absolutely ridiculous. Not only is Salm's book not Peer Reviewed, but it reaks of motive, and I've had dialogs with Salm, who is nothing more then another Joseph Atwill trying to sell books on the conspiracy train. Seriously.

There is absolutely no reason to doubt the towns existence even into the 200 BCE. All the archaeological evidence and manuscript evidence we have supports the towns existence, and even the name, it is incredulous to think that the town was renamed later on by Christians when the town had been a haven for the Jewish Priests during the Diaspora, when no pius jew would live in a town named after the hometown of a false messiah - that's just crazy.

I do not condone nor do I accept the possibility of this claim as valid, or even possible. This is just sensationalism at its best and makes Mythicists who take their work seriously, like myself and Carrier, look bad. I would never recommend Salm's book.

Zindler is even worse - they're both frauds as far as I'm concerned.  Every authority on this subject from the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, to Jewish Encyclopedias, to the Archaeological Encyclopedia of the Holy Land by Negev,everyone agrees that thetown exists, and there is no reason to doubt it.  No supernatural claims exist to make the claim suspicious in any sense, the town was not some floating orb, it's not Atlantis!  It's just a small little Roman polis.  Why not just pretend everything in the Gospels are false and fictional and made up - let's start doubting Pilates existence as well, and why not Herod too?  Or what about Peter and James, because they aren't talked about in Josephus!

Seriously, this is nonsense.  And this isn't against you, Larry - I'm just really irritated by the level of scholarship displayed by Zindler and Salm, it reminds me of people who hopeless are trying to dig for the city of Atlantis all over the world, its not even like Nazareth was discovered by Christians!  Two german - SKEPTICAL german - archaeologists discovered the site!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Well that's that sorted.

Well that's that sorted.

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote:

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

Seriously, this is nonsense. And this isn't against you, Larry - I'm just really irritated by the level of scholarship displayed by Zindler and Salm, it reminds me of people who hopeless are trying to dig for the city of Atlantis all over the world, its not even like Nazareth was discovered by Christians! Two german - SKEPTICAL german - archaeologists discovered the site!

The guy sent the link and email to my VCU secualar alliance address.  I know nothing of this but I'm glad it got sorted out.