ok, i need some insight

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
ok, i need some insight

i'm wondering what everybody's thoughts are on the romney issue.

specifically, could a mormon win the presidency?

is there a notable conflict between mormons and, say, catholics?

i admit that i know very little of mormons and how other religions view them.

go easy on me, i already feel stupid for having to ask. 

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
well, crap. i didn't think

well, crap. i didn't think it was that boring of a topic!

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Time will tell, it was said

Time will tell, it was said at one time a catholic would not win, but he did. I am seriously afraid of a mormon in the white house. I am not real familiar with Romney so I can't comment on him directly. I think McCain, Guiliani will be front runners at the RNC and Hillary and Barack at the DNC. But that is just my bass ackwards opinion.

{edit for clarity} 

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
i'll admit that all i

i'll admit that all i really know of mormons is the stereotypical bad stuff that you see on 60 minutes such as multiple teenage wives and militant prison-like communities, etc. i have no idea what a "moderate" mormon stands for.

i really, really don't like the idea of mccain of guiliani being in the white house. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, when I was a

Well, when I was a Christian, Mormons seemed to be a laughing stock amongst the rest of the religious that I included in my circles. But, looking back on it, what I called absurd then, is really no less believable than what I believed, myself. Though, I still kind of feel like the Mormons are perhaps a bit more gullible than the rest, simply because they take a few extra steps past the bible and make up new nonsense to add to an already ridiculous theology.

As far as a Mormon president goes...
Bush is bad enough, but I have no idea whether having a Mormon president would be better or worse. I guess it really matters on how much the person in question allows their religion to influence their judgment. I'm just praying to the almighty FSM that no republican will win the next presidency.

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Easy there tiger, were you

Easy there tiger, were you expecting a 5 page thread in those 30 minutes?  Not everyone reads the site at the exact same time as you do, that's why forums are used rather than a direct chat system like irc or stickam.

Mormons are given more respect than they deserve, but they're not overly far off what we have now so I don't really see why not.  At the moment from my perspective (someone on the other side of the planet) it looks like Barack is in the lead.  I hope he doesn't get it though, I lost all respect for him when he seriously accused Australia of only being interested in Nuclear power for weapons and we were the next threat after Iran/North Korea.  Double-ewe tee eff, mate? o.O  US??? 

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
sometimes i think that with

sometimes i think that with the damage Bush has done, there's no way our next prez will be a republican. then i look at the stranglehold that the religious right has on america, and i realize that it's entirely possible that americans are stupid enough fall for it, again.

i can't give a sparkling endorsement to hillary or obama, but i'm crossing my fingers that one or both of them starts to shine.

i think if there's any kind of bigotry, whatsoever, towards mormons by christians, that will kill romney's chances. because sadly we all know what a dominating force evangelical christians can be on election day.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
sorry for being impatient!!

sorry for being impatient!! Smiling

i've been home on medical leave for 2 months, and sometimes i literally have nothing better to do than post and hit the refresh button for an hour Smiling