unwelcome visitors

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
unwelcome visitors

every once in a while i get religious solicitors at my door. the other day it was jehovah's witnesses. 10 years ago i would have stood in the doorway for half an hour criticizing their beliefs. nowadays i don't even get off the couch; i just wave at them and keep on playing my ps2 or watching tv, while they stand there with a dumbfounded look on their faces.
just curious as to how others handle this annoying solicitation?

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Take of my clothes, smear

Take of my clothes, smear grape jelly on my chest, grab a fireplace poker and run to the door.

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
ive always wanted to have

ive always wanted to have religious solicitators around here just so i could do that

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Someone (unfortunately I

Someone (unfortunately I don't remember who at the moment) made a deal with them.  He promised to read their literature if they promised to watch the brand new DVD of The God Who Wasn't There that he gave them.

They took the deal.  I wonder if they held up their end of the bargain. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
This

This brings back memories. 

I remember one time, my mom was going to work, when she started getting out of the driveway with our truck, she noticed that there were some Jehova Witnesses walking around the neighborhood.

With her cell phone, she called the house phone to warn me that they were coming. LOL!

But if they knock on my door, I don't even answer, I just ignore them. 

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
i do still get a kind of

i do still get a kind of sick enjoyment out of reading religious pamplets that are left on my door.

once my wife and i received one that had a "prayer cloth" in it. it was nothing more than a photocopied piece of paper with a cloth-like pattern printed on it. the info sheet that accompanied it had testimonials stating that some people had used it to wipe away warts and rashes, others had cured arthritis and cataracts.  we had a great laugh over that one before crumpled it and gave it to our cats to play with.

aww, good times.. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a sign on the door

I have a sign on the door that reads:

No Soliciting

or

Products

Services

or

Deities

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
djneibarger wrote: we had

djneibarger wrote:

we had a great laugh over that one before crumpled it and gave it to our cats to play with.

Maybe the cats were cured of something?  Wink

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
djneibarger wrote: every

djneibarger wrote:
every once in a while i get religious solicitors at my door. the other day it was jehovah's witnesses. 10 years ago i would have stood in the doorway for half an hour criticizing their beliefs. nowadays i don't even get off the couch; i just wave at them and keep on playing my ps2 or watching tv, while they stand there with a dumbfounded look on their faces.
just curious as to how others handle this annoying solicitation?

When I was christian, I'd debate with them for a long time. Hours on end. Eventually, they stopped sending JWs and Mormons to my house. Later, I saw one of the JWs I talked to often going to a christian church. I convinced him of a less crazy lie, which is a step up, I guess. I've not had any door to door proseletyzers since I moved from that house.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I answer the door in this

I answer the door in this getup:

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Answer the door naked or

Answer the door naked or dressed as the devil. Or answer the door drunk with an open bottle of Jack Daniels - offer them a swig.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

gary7infiltrator
gary7infiltrator's picture
User is offlineOffline
I tell them I'm an

I tell them I'm an atheist.  Then I respond to any challenge, question, or statement they make with, "I'm an atheist."  Eventually they go away.  And then I laugh.

I worked with a girl who is a Jehova's Witness for a very long time.  Just the two of us trapped in a room.  She would often attempt to proselytize to me.  I told her from the outset that I'm an atheist and that I don't mind her talking about her religious beliefs to me if she doesn't mind my refuting them with scientific evidence.  She agreed, thinking that in a week she'd have "saved" me.  In four years, she never presented a sound arguement and I often caught a look of doubt on her face after I got done shooting down whatever "scientific" proof she'd brought to the table that disproved evolution, proved the existence of God, proved that the Goldilocks Zone had to be unique to Earth, etc.  It was great sport.

I had so much fun at her expense that I kind of felt a bit of a duty to help her out when she got thrown out of her religion for having sex with her boyfriend.  I tried and tried to get her to see that her religion's rules about sex weren't founded on anything that made sense.  She never bought it.  I'm sure she's still out there, somewhere, trying to save atheists.  I hope they're having as good a time "debating" her as I did. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It would really depend on my

It would really depend on my mood at the time as to what I'd do. If I was pissed or in a rush I'd probably just slam the door in their face. But if I was happy, stoned, drunk, or just plain bored then I'd have to have some fun with them.

American Atheist wrote:

This brings back memories. 

I remember one time, my mom was going to work, when she started getting out of the driveway with our truck, she noticed that there were some Jehova Witnesses walking around the neighborhood.

With her cell phone, she called the house phone to warn me that they were coming. LOL!

But if they knock on my door, I don't even answer, I just ignore them. 

Ah shit. You just reminded me of something I'd forgotten years ago. When I lived in Edmonton growing up, our neighbourhood had two neighbourhood watches. One for criminals, and one for jehovas witnesses. Anyone on the block spotted one and the phones would start ringing throughout the neighbourhood. Good times...

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I did have a funny

I did have a funny experience with a prostyltizer in a parking lot, not my front door.

I parked and was walking into the concert venue for the "warped tour". There were young twenty-somethings in the parking lot handing out pamphlets, this is a usual occurrence at this type of concert but often it is someone handing out a single of their new song or an announcement for their band's show. So I took one.

Well then he started, "Can I tell you about the lord?", I was feeling playful so I said "Who?". He continued, "The lord, can I tell you about jeebus fritos, our lord and savior. Now, you must understand those are not his exact words, but when someone say's "jesus christ" I hear "jeebus fritos", so that is how I am going to tell the story. Anyway, after his last question I again said, "who?". I guess he thought I was having a hard time hearing him over the music, it is an outdoor venue and the bands are pretty loud. He raises his voice and says, "jeebus fritos, our loving lord and savior". Again I reply, "who?". He is getting louder now, "JEEBUS FRITOS, THE ONLY ONE TRUE GOD, THE ONLY ONE TRUE GOD!", he has this very aggravated and strained look on his face. I think he thought he might have a new zombie believing, fish emblem, convert if he could just say it loud enough for me to hear. So he continues, "JEEBUS FRITOS LOVES AND WANTS YOU TO BELIEVE IN HIM. TELL ME SON HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF JEEBUS FRITOS OUR LOVING AND ABIDING SAVIOUR?", even louder now so the veins in his forehead are popping out. "Son"... that is funny because I am about 10yrs older than this dude and he call me "son" like I am one of his flock. I look at him, showing I am perplexed, and say, "why are you screaming at me, I heard you the first fucking time, I just don't believe in fairy tales.". He gets pissed and say's, "THEN WHY DID YOU KEEP SAYING "WHO?"". I respond, "It's called the owl game, it is fun to play with pamphlet distributing prostyltizers and you were and excellent contestant", at this point if his head had been a volcano, lava would have been pouring from the crater. He starts screaming, I think it was in tongues because I couldn't understand him, and I start to walk away. I turn back, say "have a nice day" and I thought he was going to have a nervous breakdown, he was shaking, veins are popping out and he sweating like he ran a marathon.

Good times..... LOL!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Cool! You broke his mind!

Cool! You broke his mind! Should have started at that point singing the "Kepp Your Jesus off my penis" song!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

CrazyRoper
CrazyRoper's picture
User is offlineOffline
Become one with daffy duck

Become one with daffy duck and ye shall frighten them away

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: ...at this

BGH wrote:

...at this point if his head had been a volcano, lava would have been pouring from the crater.

I got this image in my head of that guy:

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." [Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946]

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Excellent image Morgadar!

Excellent image Morgadar!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: He starts

BGH wrote:

He starts screaming, I think it was in tongues because I couldn't understand him, and I start to walk away. I turn back, say "have a nice day" and I thought he was going to have a nervous breakdown, he was shaking, veins are popping out and he sweating like he ran a marathon.

Yet another example of a good, kind and forgiving xian.

I must admit that every time I hear "jesus christ" now, all I'll be able to think about is "jeebus fritos" and will make the mistake of laughing in someone's face.