Atheist Author Urges Godless to go Mainstream

fragilex
User is offlineOffline

Below, is a link to a press release, issued March 27, encouraging atheists to become involved in their local media, and to promote my book (A 21st Century Rationalist in Medieval America: Essays on Religion, Science, Morality, and the Bush Administrationthat's intended to do the same. 
I've posted a poll on the Richard Dawkins Forum asking if people think that more atheists writing in mainstream publications would be a positive or negative influence on the public perception of atheism. You can check it out and vote here: http://www.richarddawkins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11589
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2007/3/emw514140.htm

A new book encouraging atheist writers to target local media receives international praise. "A 21st Century Rationalist in Medieval America," provides a rare example of how atheism and religious criticism can reach a mainstream audience in the United States.

East Lansing, MI (PRWeb) March 27, 2007 -- In the new book, "A 21st Century Rationalist in Medieval America: Essays on Religion, Science, Morality, and the Bush Administration," author John Bice demonstrates that it's possible to present religious criticism from an unapologetically secular perspective to a mainstream readership. The book is a collection of Bice's newspaper opinion columns -- highly critical of religion, faith, and the Bush administration -- published between 2002 and 2006.

Books on atheism, god and religious criticism have enjoyed unprecedented commercial success recently. The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins, and Letter To A Christian Nation, by Sam Harris are both New York Times best-sellers. However, despite the newfound popularity of atheist writing, average Americans continue to have little exposure to such works and the arguments they contain.

Bice believes, "The best way to broaden an understanding of atheism, and undermine persistent cultural taboos against religious criticism, is for openly godless writers to contribute opinion columns and letters to the editor in newspapers across the country. Such writing often sparks ongoing debate, and motivates other atheists and secularists to speak out."

The author describes the book as "a reaction to the primitive and medieval mindset that characterizes so much of modern America." It consists of 10 chapters, each proceeded by an editorial-style cartoon: Weird Beliefs, The Bible, Religion, Morality, Evolution & Creationism, Science, Religious Conservatives, Gay Marriage, Politics, and Iraq War, Media & Patriotism.

A 21st Century Rationalist in Medieval America has received national and international recognition for offering strong secular perspectives and candid religious criticism, and is available now on Amazon.com and Amazon UK in hardcover and paperback editions. An eBook version is available at Diesel eBooks, Powells.com, and eBooks About Everything.

Reviews, excerpts and links to online retailers can be found at:http://johnbice.org/

About the Author
John Bice is a freelance writer and graduate of Michigan State University. His direct and playfully combative writing style regularly elicits both praise and criticism, and has won international fans. To reach the author for comment or interview, email -- inquiries(at)johnbice.org

EDITORS: For review copies, call Chelydra Bay Press: chelydrabaypress(at)gmail.com

PRAISE FOR: A 21ST CENTURY RATIONALIST IN MEDIEVAL AMERICA

"Absorbing, depressing, funny, sad, sarcastic, witty, and disturbing. A fantastic read." -- Lee Holmes, Atheist Foundation of Australia

"An incisive and wide-ranging critique of biblical inerrancy, religious dogma and faith-based conservatism. Bice's book will stand rationalists, skeptics and progressives in good stead in their quest for a new Enlightenment in America." -- Thomas W. Clark, director of the Center for Naturalism

"Let's hope that this book, with its apt but provocative title, will steer more of his fellow American's down the road of reason." -- Terry Sanderson, President of the National Secular Society, UK

"A perfect 'bedside reader'." -- Paul Geisert, Ph.D., Co-Director of http://www.the-brights.net/

"A delight to read, a cornucopia of distilled facts and concise arguments." -- Dan Barker, Co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

"Easily one of the most enjoyable, thought-provoking, and quotable books I have read in years. Bice's courage in spreading the godless meme through his writings is inspiring, and he has given us a model to emulate. Make room on your bookshelf for this one." -- Atheist Revolution

"You will be referring back to this book for a long time." -- Ellen Johnson, President American Atheists 

--------------------------------
John Bice
http://johnbice.org
Available now on Amazon: "A 21st Century Rationalist in Medieval America"

A 21st Century Rationalist in Medieval America

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm with Bice on this one.

I'm with Bice on this one. The more ubiquitous and unapologetic Atheist literature is, the more mainstream and normal it becomes. We need an Atheist Will & Grace to bring likable Atheist characters into America's living rooms. We need an Adam Sandler-like song pointing out all the famous celebrity Atheists. Only then after people get to know Atheists will they begin to realize that Atheists aren't all that different from themselves and hardly the evil fanatics the church wants them to believe.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
The title itself is

The title itself is brilliant. I look around this crazy world and I sometimes feel like I'm living in a Twillight Zone episode.

Good Luck John. I'll check out the book.Wink In the meantime, talk to your publisher about getting you some interviews on Air America radio.

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation