For Your Clarification

Dylan
Theist
User is offlineOffline
For Your Clarification

This is mostly to theists, but some atheists might be subject to this too. I doubt it...

These are three different things:

Arguments for Creationism

Arguments against Evolution

Arguments against Atheism

Make sure you are arguing the right argument! Evidence for either one of those categories usually only goes in that one category.

P.S. I don't know if this has already been noted, but I think the theists here, even though I am one, need a heads up.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Also a lot of creationists

Also a lot of creationists confuse evolution and abiogenesis and argue against the latter.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Arguments for creationism

Arguments for creationism are not all arguments for religion and vice versa.

For instance, Ray Comfort uses the three morality questions and then baselessly asserts that the person is a 'lying, stealing blasphemer and they're going to go to hell if they don't change their ways'. It completely disregards the need for proof of a hell to exist, which would be an argument for creationism. correct?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's also worth clarifying

It's also worth clarifying that the despite what most Theists will claim, the Theory of Evolution never claims things came about by chance.

Scotch
Scotch's picture
User is offlineOffline
AModestProposal wrote: It's

AModestProposal wrote:
It's also worth clarifying that the despite what most Theists will claim, the Theory of Evolution never claims things came about by chance.

In adition, many theists seem relate the Theory of Evolution with the Big-Bang theory. They say "evolution requires the universe to have come out of nothing" and so forth. That's a ridiculous claim since the Theory of Evolution only adresses how life came to be what it is today AFTER IT ALREADY EXISTED (by means of Natural Selection, etc.)...

If you wanna talk about the origin of life, fine, but that's another subject which has nothing to do with the Theory of Evolution. 

http://youtube.com/phillipetrindade - Reasonable dialogue about atheism. Please visit, rate it and comment. Thanks!

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would like to know what an

I would like to know what an argument against Atheism would be?? How do you make an arguement against a non-belief?? Especially since you can't prove that God exists. It's not like I say I don't believe in Dogs and then you can show me a Dog.

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Exactly. 99.99999999999999%

Exactly.

99.99999999999999% of theists misunderstand the definition of atheism, and compound the problem by completely misunderstanding the way the mind moves from data to conclusions.

It is impossible to argue against atheism directly.  The only way to disprove atheism is to prove theism.

For anyone who thinks differently, before trying to disprove atheism, try to prove that someone who thinks there is no Santa Claus is wrong.  Seems easy at first, right?  Then you realize that it's actually quite impossible.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
And, while I'm at it,

And, while I'm at it, creationism and evolution are not necessarily mutually exclusive.   If creationism means belief that a god created the universe and the world, fine.  Such a being could create evolution, too, right?

This is actually where theists turn things around and get the scientific method correct, at least on paper.  There are mounds and mounds of journals providing hard scientific evidence that evolution exists.  That's why virtually all the non-theist scientists in the world acknowledge its existence.  In order to argue against evolution, theists must present evidence that falsifies all that data, or at least enough of it to make evolution implausible.

So, as a further encouragement to theists who wish to argue against evolution, here's a bit of advice... If you don't know what you're arguing against, you can't disprove it.  Before you make your argument, try learning what the theory of evolution says -- not from a pastor -- from a scientist, from a textbook, or (gasp!) from Darwin himself.  While Origin doesn't fully explain the modern theory, it's a pretty damn good start.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Dylan
Theist
User is offlineOffline
AModestProposal wrote: It's

AModestProposal wrote:

Yes, most scientists now don't acknowledge the chance theory. I assume most people here subscribe to the chemical affinities and self-ordering theory?