Post your inspirational quotes here!

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Post your inspirational quotes here!

No, no. Not someone else's quotes that you like or use as your sig. Your quotes. Things that you have said or wrote that you feel are important. Tidbits of truth that you think are necessary. I'd personally recommend that a "quote" not extend more than three or four lines maximum.

These are some of mine:

I have no knowledge of any system or human endeavor of labor that does not progress in fifty centuries except one

It is deeply and inherently immoral to sustain a system on fear of unfalsifiable concepts

It should be the gravest of fears that our world might end by the hands of men who have minds in the Bronze age and devices of the information age

-I would not trust any institution that has had a complete monopoly on the writing of its own history, in this respect the Catholic Church comes first to mind

It is a testimony to human arrogance that we can create ridiculously over-inflated teleological significance for our own existence to comfort ourselves

-It is inherently ridiculous to state God as a requisite for morality because if you need a requisite for morality, you are not inherently moral

I wonder that we would not continue to burn genial old scholars alive at the stake and crucify heretics were faith no longer dictating our morality?

I know of no scientist nor historian who would consider revelation and prayer as acceptable objective methods of obtaining information

I hope the God-fearing Christian realizes in full that had he been born in Saudi Arabia, he would bow to Allah unquestioningly, we can claim as much as we wish about theology and veracity, but religion is very much an accident of place of birth

The fact that in this day and age, where men have cracked the atom and set foot on the moon, that five billion people still believe in some ancient, superstitious dogma over the hard work of science is astounding and dangerous

Religion is comprised of a set of mutually exclusive dogmas that chase each other eternally in a circle for converts, each vying for dominance as they are deluded into thinking they are on the one true path

We are on the brink of a scientific revolution. Ancient spiritual questions that once could only be answered by mythology are being answered by science. Yet instead of embracing this, people from Alabama to Afghanistan are turning to fundamentalism

The Middle East today is seven hundred years behind the West. A place where sullen, ignorant young men watch women burned alive at the stake and brash Talib child-soldiers wielding AK-47s hurl giant blocks of granite at the skulls of innocent men

Were those nineteen young human bombs deluded? Insane? Depressed? Repressed? Stupid? No. They were men of faith, perfect and absolute faith

History has taught us time and time again that dogmatic absolutism is terrible force. But do we listen? On the contrary, we have become more rigidly adherent to ancient mythology

Religion is a worthless, futile attempt to understand a concept that is inherently beyond understanding, therefore, the basis religion claims as a spiritual medium is utterly null and void, it must cease and desist

Does the good theist genuinely believe that God is a vindicator holding a book with all his sins, counting like a micro economist to determine their eternal fate? I would have hoped the world had progressed beyond such Bronze Age mythology

-The atheist does not hate God, this is false! Rather the atheist hates the fact that man, in his eternal ignorance, created God

Are we to believe that humans require teleological significance because they are so self-centered that they cannot give meaning to their own life?

The fact that religion postulates itself as absolute truth should be enough to reveal that it has none at all

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nothing to do with

Nothing to do with religion, but one of my favorite quotes that I made up is ...

If you're not at least a little bit weird you're probably not very interesting.

Karen and her hounds
creating art ~ creating a new life

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Also not particularly

Also not particularly religious, but one of my originals:

"If you can't win big, lose big.  History never remembers the guy in the middle."

The context?  I answered a trivia question about the biggest defeat in college football history... Georgia Tech beat Cumberland 222-0.  

The kicker?  I remember Cumberland, too!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
""I think, therefore I am."

""I think, therefore I am." Human consiousness is a beutiful thing, we dumb down out reality, or sense of reality into thought. We exclude the stuff we can not experience, and never once think we are not real. Go ahead and try! You failed didn't you? You tryed to think of non-existence, but that requires no thought does it not? For you to also exist must you not think? That leads me into a thought process, how can I know you think? Does thinking require existence at all? We may deny it, but the answer in not "I think, therefore I am." but it is really "I think, therefore my reality and you are.""

I know that one was long.

"Sometimes I think of infinity. To rationalize infinity every action must happen infinite times right? So do you really want to live forever? Do you really want to go to heaven? In heaven no matter how much will power you have, if you live for infinity you will eventually do every action imaginable, be it sodimize your grandfather to rape your daughter. However are these acts aloud in heaven? Would that not take away from freedom of heaven no matter how good? I don't know about you, but I do not wish for eternity, for I do not wish to sodimize or rape my daughter."

Another long one by me.

"Christians often say Satan put evidence throughout time to make us not believe in God. However the whole unverise in evidence, everywhere you look to no God. So Christians, did Satan really create the universe, since hes the one making the evidence, and the whole universe points to no God?"

"Sometimes I try to catch the universes trick on me, however I am never fast enough. I know some day I will turn around so fast nothing will be behind me."(Refers to you can not know there is nothing behind you, it's a question many phyosiphers asked) 

Thats about it.

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The best evidence against

"The best evidence against religions together is the fact that they actually exist."

"That falling churchbell must have hit your head pretty hard." (to a fundy colleague after an accident in a church)

"Screw God. I'm going to drink that last beer and go over the line, whether he likes it or not." (should be obvious when I said it)

"First thing I do if I go to heaven: beat the crap out of Adam and Eve."

"Dude, be as moral as the Bible requires you to be... but please be it somewhere else."

"The Bible being the best-sold book all times clearly points out to dendro-cide."

"Of all the possible fruits in the garden of Eden, why did it happen to be the apple? I don't even like apples that much. Should it have been a pear, though, probably I wouldn't have needed the snake to eat it myself, if I were Adam."

"Talking snakes is old-school. Now we have images of the Virgin Mary even in beer-bottle bottoms."

"I've heard of many appearances of the Virgin Mary... but I don't remember hearing about appearances of John the Baptist, Jesus, any of the 12 apostles, etc."

My personal favorite: "There's nothing like a little of the music of Dimmu Borgir to start your Easter day."

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

sumra
Theist
User is offlineOffline
"Religion and Politics are

"Religion and Politics are the last resort for scoundrels"