Theist logic at its finest

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theist logic at its finest

I tried to read the local paper yesterday, but didn't even make it a paragraph in.  I wish I could quote it for you, but I threw it away in disgust.  I'll paraphrase.  It'll get the point across.

Here in the uber-progressive state of Georgia, they're trying to pass a law allowing grocery stores and package stores to sell alcohol on Sunday.  We're one of the last six or seven states in the country that still have blue laws.

The paper was quoting a pastor of some church or another, and he said something like...

"The laws are good because they teach people responsibility and good planning skills, because they have to purchase their alcohol before Sunday if they want to have any."

At this point, I tossed the paper in the trash, and exclaimed "So why don't they close all the damn Walmarts on Sunday?  That'd be pretty damn responsible, wouldn't it?"

Nobody seemed to know what I was talking about, so I left quietly.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the blue laws vary

I think the blue laws vary from town to town in NJ.  But it is kind of ridiculous.  You could write back and suggest that they close gas stations, as that will really teach responsibility to the people. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, geez... I hadn't

Oh, geez... I hadn't thought of writing the paper...

I really hope I don't find another copy.  I'll be forced to do it if I can quote the guy.  I sooooo don't want to get into a letter war with the local fish wrapper.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: At this

Hambydammit wrote:
At this point, I tossed the paper in the trash, and exclaimed "So why don't they close all the damn Walmarts on Sunday?

Writing from another blue-law state (North Dakota), where retail stores must be closed from midnight to noon on Sunday (so, no Wal-mart), I can say it is frustrating, but it seems to be getting better. When I was younger, retail stores couldn't open at all on Sunday. We just have to keep pushing for sanity.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

healthy.addictions
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
What a load of

What a load of bullshit.

Unfortunately, Ohio doesn't allow us to buy alchohol on Sundays (even at Wal-Mart). We also can't purchase liquor after 9pm (all liquor stores close then).

People are so f*cking stupid.

I vote closing Wal-mart and all other stores on Sunday too - including gas stations. We'll see how well that one goes over.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's that stupid

It's that stupid cherry-pick mentality that Christianity promotes.

It's teaching us a lesson to not buy alcohol on Sunday, but I'll be damned if you're going to tell me I can't buy a head of lettuce at Walmart at 3am on Sunday morning because I just decided I want a salad.

Well, what if I want a FSM-damned bloody mary on Sunday morning at 3am?!

Personally, I think everything being closed on Sunday is a great idea, because people work too much, and it would be nice to have a day when all your friends were off and you could actually get together.  But, if Walmart's going to stay open, let me at least buy a damn beer so I can sit alone on my porch and get drunk while all my friends are at work.

Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's kind of funny, but I

It's kind of funny, but I live in a town that has a very large population of orthodox jews.  While many of the shops that are owned by the orthodox are closed on Saturday, pretty much everything is open on Sunday, since that's the day they do their shopping.  Either way, works for me. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver