Stop bashing God...

Digital_Babu
User is offlineOffline
Stop bashing God...

It could hurt his feelings for eternity, will you imagine that! 

And hello everyone, just thought that a small introduction would be appropriate.

Call me Digital_Babu, I'm 25 year old philosophy student from the Netherlands. And recently the monopoly of christianity in the US became clear to me after seeing a documentary on religion in US politics, and by finding this site.

I find it hazardous for the entirety of human civilization that one of the most profound faces or representatives of western liberal democracy doesn't even uphold the principles of liberal democracy. But make this entire project of humans trying to transcend their primitive and destructive sentiments by reason, a fallacy.

In this consideration the call of reason has become one-dimensional and empty. And since my country and the US are closely interlocked in the way they try to progress as a "civilization" it is my transnational duty as a reasonable person to show my support.

I'm looking forward to get involved in this forum.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Digital_Babu! There

Welcome Digital_Babu!

There are several here in the forums from your side of the Atlantic.  It's always interesting to hear things from the perspective of someone who doesn't live in a country that has a xian majority.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Archangelnamed
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Welcome

Susan wrote:

Welcome Digital_Babu!

There are several here in the forums from your side of the Atlantic.  It's always interesting to hear things from the perspective of someone who doesn't live in a country that has a xian majority.

I agree.  I think the fact that we can correspond internationally with others is one of the most awesome parts of the Internet.Smile

"We did not follow cleverly invented stories..."
2 Peter 1:16
"Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you..."
Luke 1:3

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the site Babu. I

Welcome to the site Babu. I too am not American (although Im still from west of the atlantic, im canadian). I live in China, which is 93% atheist.

I always loved Holland, it's one of my favourite countries. I was absolutely horrified by the murder of theo van goh and to me it seems like a troubling representation of reason versus insanity.

Cheers

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Digital_Babu
User is offlineOffline
Thanks all for

Thanks all for welcoming. 

deludedgod wrote:
[...]I always loved Holland, it's one of my favourite countries. I was absolutely horrified by the murder of theo van goh and to me it seems like a troubling representation of reason versus insanity.

Well I love my country in a non-nationalist kind of way. And it's interesting that you mention the murder of Theo van Gogh as being a representation of reason versus insanity. I agree that de facto it was a representation between reason versus insanity since his murder acted wholely unreasonable. But this gruesome murder also showed a profound problem with those who claim the heritage of Englightenment.

Namely it being a manner of liberal thought that is egalitaristic, that has no attention for the complexity of personal identity. They (e.g. Ayaan Hirshi Ali, perhaps you know her) think that rationality and reason are interchangable, while reason can incorporate non-rational deliberation to come to a reasonable judgement. 

In the Netherlands we are confronted with the fact that rationality is not given, that rationality is not a characteristic that once achieved remains forever. Rationality demands continual scrutiny of your own actions, and it seems that in the Netherlands a powerfull group of intellectuals and artists have taken the moral high-ground claiming this feature without showing any reflectiveness or attention for the multiplicity what it is to be human. They live in an intellectual niché without being aware of it. 

Mind you that I do not try to explain or justify this murder, but what I hope it is clear that I think that saying that you’re rational is not an assertion that can be maintained by doing this in contrast with those considered non-rational. Rationality in itself shall always stand in need of justification, this is perhaps evident in comparing theism with atheism, but I think it isn’t controversial to say that an average human being isn’t all that rational. What we must do, is find out what reason is all about, since it seems to me that ‘reason’ is that normative (and highly moral) aspect of human beings that unifies the way we could govern ourselves and eachother with active consent. (Ok, I’ll admit I would vote for Aristocracy, the plebians need to be educated Eye-wink ) 

P.S.: I'm sorry for being so lengthy, I just can't resist.

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hwody

Just adding my welcome to the others, I always look forward to another perspective on things, i.e. outside of north america.

Zombie 

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

steam-soldier
steam-soldier's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would also like to welcome

I would also like to welcome you, with the hopes of learning from your across the pond persepective.

"steam-soldier" I mispelled my name when signing up!

hellfiend666
Rational VIP!
hellfiend666's picture
User is offlineOffline
Always good to see new

Always good to see new friendly faces, or profiles, or... well you know what i mean.