My (long) intro

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
My (long) intro

Hallo everyone,

I’ve lurked on this site for quite some time now, and finding myself desperately in need of atheist acquaintances, have decided to join. I’m not typically a forum person, but I shall try post when I can. I only have net access in the evenings when I’m home. I’ll give you some background info on myself. Sorry if it’s long, but I’ll appreciate anyone who reads it all..

· I’m 18, male, and live in South Africa. I have an extremely strong christian background. Some of you who live in the Bible Belt might understand the kind of background I’m talking about. Basically, I was a christain since I could remember. I was brought up in it at home, and spent my entire schooling career in a christain school. Or to be exact, an ACE (Accelerated Christain Education). If you’ve never heard of it, look it up. You’ll either laugh or cry. It’s an entire curriculum based on biblical “truths” and principles. Every subject, from math’s to history, is filled with brainwashing material. A typical school day could include devotions, bible reading, praise and worship, and of course, the ever present 3 times a day prayer time. The curriculum and staff accept the bible as literal truth, and this is taught through the grades. Other educational gems are the teaching of 7 day young earth creationism in science, that all other religions are direct works of satan, that satan is a physical actual person, that any one who isn’t a christain will have a empty, meaningless life, that the rapture is literal, that christains are now and will soon be extensively persecuted, and dozens more. An science test may have a statement along the lines of “Science is the practice by which god reveals the knowledge of his creation to men.” You get the idea. I accepted all this without question at the time, though now I wonder how I made it through a day without being physically sick.

· Mid last year something happened which led to me becoming pretty miserable for a long time and starting to doubt and question everything I’d been taught. Those who have deconverted know how traumatic this can be. Anyway, in November last year I decided I was atheist. I tried dabbling in other religions but just didn’t have the inclination or energy. The more I read on atheism the more sense and logic it made. However, that was only the beginning o my problems. I was happy in my atheism, but absolutely terrified of telling anyone. I was still attending school and that would have made it difficult at the least. I thought my friends would probably all leave me, and mostly I feared my father would put me on the street. So I lived a lie, attending home group meetings, church, always keeping the façade of the good christian. As you can imagine, the strain was terrible. It became impossible to attend these things without feeling sick. Eventually, after not attending church for 2 months, my friend confronted me, asking if I was involved in the occult, as I seemed backslidden and unsaved. I told him of my atheism. I had imagined when I finally came out, I would lay out a logical reason and defense of my decision, while easily defeating their theist arguments. Instead, I found myself unable to stop shaking from adrenaline and emotion, and unable to form any kind of coherent argument against his questions, as I could barely talk. Since then (this was about 3 weeks ago) we’ve said nothing of the incident. However, things have become strained as he is one the most fundie, closed minded theists you could ever meet.( 4 of my friends now know of my atheism)

· I am currently working temporally at South Africa’s largest distributor of christain music.(with the aforementioned friend, who is a permanent there) As you can imagine, this is a nightmare, being surrounded by just as much fundie christianity as I was at school. Its now at the point where whenever I hear some of them discussing some ridiculous christian idea I can hardly keep myself from screaming and punching the nearest thing.

· So finally, I’m hoping that in being here I’ll find some nice, rational, atheist acquaintances, and learn more and more so when the day of my all out coming out comes I’ll be able to do the cause proud. Thanks for reading! J

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums. You

Welcome to the forums. You know i'm starting to think hell does exist, not in the way christians think though. hell = going to church.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Good to meet you, Loc!  I

Good to meet you, Loc!  I know how you feel.  I was raised heavily in church and my entire family are christian.

I still haven't told my parents that I'm an atheist and I'm 33.

Stick around here (especially Freethinkers Anonymous section).  It'll save your sanity.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow. Unless they are paying

Wow. Unless they are paying you incredibly handsomely, what on earth possessed you to get a job at a Christian music distributor?

Quit torturing yourself, dude.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haha handsome pay it aint,

Haha handsome pay it aint, It was originally supposed to just be a 2 day help out thing for some spare cash but I ended up being asked to stay till January. Most of the time the jobs not that bad,and I'm just out of school, need cash, and getting offered to work with friends was nice.Basically I just have nothing better at the moment

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Guillaume
Guillaume's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's a priceless job! Is

That's a priceless job! Is there any way you could tamper with the material you're selling to include some "mind-opening" content? Like some subliminal rational thinking? Smiling

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe I should start

Maybe I should start slipping RRS cards into the cd casesTongue out

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Good to

Watcher wrote:

Good to meet you, Loc! I know how you feel. I was raised heavily in church and my entire family are christian.

Oh, you're in for quite the shitstorm when you finally do! 

I've noticed a lot of outspoken atheists on this site have not told their families and believe me, I understand why you haven't.  It's not very amusing when you find out how conditional love really is.

I'm going to have to start over, just completely start over. I'm even thinking of changing my name.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc, you're not alone.  I,

Loc, you're not alone.  I, too, was raised fundamentalist Christian and went to a Christian school.  I grew up in a friggin' bubble, totally unprepared for life as it really is.

Somehow I'm not surprised South Africa has a fundy contingent.  Tell me...do you ever experience a strong desire to move to Sweden?  Is it too late for us to learn Swedish? Smiling 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Watcher wrote:

Good to meet you, Loc! I know how you feel. I was raised heavily in church and my entire family are christian.

I've noticed a lot of outspoken atheists on this site have not told their families and believe me, I understand why you haven't.  It's not very amusing when you find out how conditional love really is.

I'm going to have to start over, just completely start over. I'm even thinking of changing my name.

Well that surely doesn't help me to decide to tell them, Iruka.  lol  I have told my brother.  He just jokingly calls me a heretic.  Mom, on the other hand, she wouldn't take it so lightly.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, always happy to see

Welcome, always happy to see another apostate. Smiling

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Every birthday, my mother

Every birthday, my mother gives me a St. Jude Thaddeus medal and a brand spanking new rosary set.  They go into the same box as all of the others.  Would anyone like a medal of the patron of lost causes and cases despaired of?  I have fifteen of them now.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

Somehow I'm not surprised South Africa has a fundy contingent. Tell me...do you ever experience a strong desire to move to Sweden? Is it too late for us to learn Swedish? Smiling

Can't say I have.I mean, does anything exciting happen in Sweden. Oh ya, there's a lot of fundies here. From what I've gathered from here, alot of SA would be like your Bible Belt 

dudeofthemoment wrote:

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:

Watcher wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:
Watcher wrote:

I've noticed a lot of outspoken atheists on this site have not told their families and believe me, I understand why you haven't. It's not very amusing when you find out how conditional love really is.

Well that surely doesn't help me to decide to tell them, Iruka. lol I have told my brother. He just jokingly calls me a heretic. Mom, on the other hand, she wouldn't take it so lightly.

Sorry. Smiling

Sometimes it goes well, but more often it doesn't. Sad I just want you to be prepared. I don't think I had realistic expectations. I had just read Dan Barker's book and took some hope because BOTH of his parents followed him out of religion. I didn't take into account that Mr. Barker's parents 1) respected him more than my parents respected me and 2) had a better relationship with him than my parents had with me. I was entirely too optimistic, so I want people to know it can end up going very badly.

It's been--what?--six years since I told my mother, my only surviving parent.  Things are not getting better.  It's time to move on. 

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

Is it too late for us to learn Swedish? Smiling 

Norway is better. Very unreligious, and lots of pretty coastline to explore. I can give you Norwegian lessons at a very reasonable price.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?