Laurence Tisdall

systemnate
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Laurence Tisdall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr6uvUNJLww

Just interested in hearing some responses.  I found it kind of funny.

Zachb34
User is offlineOffline
Excellent video. Tisdale owns

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zachb34 wrote:Excellent

Zachb34 wrote:

Tisdale owns like it owns to catch your fingers in a car door.

The tactic he uses, of posing questions for his opponent to answer on the spot that demand a very thorough answer and then smugly rejecting the intelligence of said opponent when they can't think of what to say right off the cuff, pisses me off. Why? It's unusable outside of live debate.

This sort of strategy is the reason I don't see more of Dawkins on TV. He (rightly, IMHO) elects to keep out of the crosshairs of such intellectual dishonesty.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Incognito
User is offlineOffline
  I watched that whole

I watched that whole debate. He totally smoked that Evolutionist, and everyone on Youtube knows it.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Everyone who knows jack shit

Everyone who knows jack shit about geology, maybe.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline

The fact that the scientists in this debate aren't jumping on the stupid Creationist over every lie is rather infuriating. 

Tisdale even stated that when we're dealing with millions or billions of years, then we're not dealing with science. Pretty soon, he's going to be talking about how we can't see the wind. It's a common misconception that science can only tackle directly observable phenomena. I wish I had an infinite amount of time to waste; then I could debunk every fallacy Tisdale made. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K65wuHKbIfo      Watch for him at 4:05.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Apologist117
User is offlineOffline
The RRS is so biased and

The RRS is so biased and indoctrinated, that they can't even recognize truth and facts anymore. They suffer from the mentality that evolutionists are honest. Obviously they are not. If they were, they would not still be teaching lies in school text books. Laurence smoked this guy. Evolution is SO last millenium! It's being replaced by science.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Go back to grade school kid,

Go back to grade school kid, and this time pay attention in class instead of talking to your friends.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, i made it 7:00 into

Well, i made it 7:00 into that video.  I want them back.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

DBoone
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Zachb34

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Zachb34 wrote:

Tisdale owns like it owns to catch your fingers in a car door.

The tactic he uses, of posing questions for his opponent to answer on the spot that demand a very thorough answer and then smugly rejecting the intelligence of said opponent when they can't think of what to say right off the cuff, pisses me off. Why? It's unusable outside of live debate.

This sort of strategy is the reason I don't see more of Dawkins on TV. He (rightly, IMHO) elects to keep out of the crosshairs of such intellectual dishonesty.

I think that the evolutionist was simply not prepared to give brief cogent rebuttals to the creationist's points. And the creationist never did question or reject the intelligence of the evolutionist. Did you somehow read this into the debate? The creationist was intellectually prepared, not intellectually dishonest. Please try to not erect straw men. Instead try to address his arguments.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Creationists are either

Creationists are either intellectually dishonest, seriously misinformed, or intellectually impaired.

Anyone trying to claim some sort of victory under that kind of live debate situation, when the opponent was not given sufficient time to formulate an adequate reponse, is being either dumb or dishonest. Very simple but stupid questions can be so messed up in so many ways that even working out how to begin to point out what is wrong with the question is not a simple task, let alone provide an answer.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only real way to win

The only real way to win such a debate is if you treat the (insert false holy book here) the same way they treat science. You literally have to ignore your opposition, unless they give you a golden egg you can jump on, and focus on the ridiculousness of their beliefs. Often it puts the theist on the defensive, and they stop failing to attack science in order to defend their religion. If they don't, then they've foregone defence in favour of offence, and leave themselves wide open to attack. Particularly useful if you can attack and make light of their arguments at the same time. A roll of the eyes and a snort can go a long way to answer a ridiculous argument on a televised debate.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apologist117 wrote:The RRS

Apologist117 wrote:

The RRS is so biased and indoctrinated, that they can't even recognize truth and facts anymore. They suffer from the mentality that evolutionists are honest. Obviously they are not. If they were, they would not still be teaching lies in school text books. Laurence smoked this guy. Evolution is SO last millenium! It's being replaced by science.

The only one indoctrinated here is you. Evolution is a FACT. I am sorry that you don't want to grow up, but the earth is not flat and the moon is not made of cheese and Santa is not real.

Now, if you wish to have a pleasant stay here, loose the attitude and your stereotypes about atheists and science.

Seriously. If ANYONE, not just you, but anyone is getting their information from short soundbites, in popular media they are a fool. I don't care what the subject matter is.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, not their own facts. DNA verifies evolution. If you would have no problem convicting a murderer on DNA evidence, then you should have no problem accepting evolution as fact.

AND since you seem to be into "Its sooooooo obvious"

Look at a domestic house cat and a tiger. Why are chihuahua's and great Danes both called dogs? BECAUSE THEY HAD COMMON ANCESTORS..........

Your ignorant childish attack on science shows me you don't know a damned thing about science.

Evolution is about slow changes over long periods of time, it happens for multiple factors. Nature, environment, and change on the atom and gene level.

Why is it every year scientists have to come up with new flu vaccines? BECAUSE IT EVOLVES AND ADAPTS!

There is no apex in evolution otherwise if we were so damned special to life, why is it cockroaches out number humans? Why do eagles have better eyesight? Why do bacteria outnumber humans?

Evolution is as much a fact as gravity is. If you really want to be that ignorant you might as well jump off a tall building with no parachute. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't advise it.

You need to lose your theocratic garbage and get your head out of the sand.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw that infamous Dawkins

I saw that infamous Dawkins clip where the guy "seems" to stump Dawkins. What was going on in his head, and I have done this with people too, thought to myself while pausing to formulate a response, "How do I explain this to a clearly ignorant person"?

All you have to do to understand their childish tactic is to take a complicated adult subject and try to explain it to a 4 year old.

Believers are so desperate because now that the curtain has been pulled back, science is exposing invisible friend claims for the human invented fraud they always have been.

It wasn't true when the Egyptians believed that the sun was a thinking being, and modern theism is just another popular superstition. Deity belief is nothing but Santa for adults.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BK (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Come prepared

I see people trying to come down on Tisdall's methods when debating.  However, the reality is very simple.  Don't come to a gunfight with a knife. 

Tisdall is prepared against every lame argument presented by Atheists and Evolutionists.  Not knowing the answers is no argument and does not stand up to scrutiny. 

Tisdall's arguments are sound and rational.  If this angers those who are happy with "I don't know", so be it.  To people like myself, "We don't know" or "we don't have all the answers" is not good enough.  Evolution does not stand up to scrutiny and none of the mathematics work when trying to make sense of the creation of the universe, creation of life, stability of the universe, gravity, DNA and the diversity of life.  None of it can be explained and the mathematics behind evolution including theories such as the Big Bang, String Theory and M-Theory just simply don't add up.  Believe what you will.  Tisdall's arguments are not designed to convert hardcore atheists and evolutionists to Christianity.  I'm sure he is fully aware that is not going to happen.  His arguments are merely designed to help those individuals who are open-minded enough to listen to all the arguments and make rational decisions based on facts.  There are many people who may be on the fence with regard to their beliefs.  It should be of no concern to hardcore atheists and evolutionists what people believe who are not on their side.  I realize there are many Christians who put down people who don't see things their way.  By the same token, I am constantly reading propaganda put out by atheists demeaning and putting down those who don't believe as they do.  I've heard them say they are just looking for truth - so why the need to demean the beliefs of others?  All I see are a group of people who think they are smarter than everyone else around them and feel the need to act like a bunch of neighborhood bullies to try to get their point across.  Tisdall simply brings them back to earth and they don't like it!  Sorry!

BriBen59 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Creationist Smokes Evol Person

Sorry to see whoever you are stand up for such a pathetic belief system as evol.  Nothing really need be said.  The entire argument rests on the fact that you and the rest of the ilk are not interested in learning or changing your 'religious' belief system.  Go your way and believe that life came from mud or whatever you want.  No one cares, and it's a free country (America).  Where the line is drawn is when you want your garbage belief system taught in schools and then fight to have another theory (I.D.) NOT taught.

After all the debating and living is over with, there is one undeniable fact you will still be facing - death.  At that point, you will learn, very much the hard way, just how stupid and wrong and arrogant you were.  None of us creationists want you to go to a bad place, but you WILL go, and it will be because of YOU and YOUR choices.  What I would have to say is..... no bitching or complaining later.  You made your bed YOU sleep in it.

It wasn't intellectual dishonesty in the video.  It was the evol guy getting smoked by your worst nightmare.  The truth.

Have a nice eternity