Justice vs. Compassion

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
Justice vs. Compassion

Justice Versus compassion.

Both are good. But which one should take precedence (priority) when they collide.

Justice: Regardless of sex, race, religion, national origin, reward (or punish) individuals, group of people, businesses, nations proportional to their contribution to the welfare of mankind.

Compassion: Help the needy.

You can make up a case study of your own to think on that.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234 wrote: Justice is

Timf1234 wrote:

Justice is everyone's right.

What's justice for one may not be justice for another.

While justice for everyone would be nice, perhaps even compassionate, it doesn't work that way.

Who gets to decide what justice is?  For instance, what if you had a loved one killed by a drunk driver?  The bereaved insist that justice would be life in prison for the drunk driver.

Add this into the equation.  The drunk driver is 45 years old.  It's the first time in his/her life they have been drunk.  They had two drinks at a friend's house when they got a phone call that their disabled spouse has had a dire medical emergency and is on the verge of dying.  On top of that, the drunk driver is the sole support of this spouse and five children.  This person, not realizing they had too much to drink, was racing to their spouse's bedside.

Now, where is justice and where is compassion and who gets to decide?

Again, it's situational and subjective.  There is no reason at all to make a choice because the final conclusion may tip either way depending on the circumstances.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Timf1234

Susan wrote:
Timf1234 wrote:

While justice for everyone would be nice, perhaps even compassionate, it doesn't work that way.

Who gets to decide what justice is?  For instance, what if you had a loved one killed by a drunk driver?  The bereaved insist that justice would be life in prison for the drunk driver.

Add this into the equation.  The drunk driver is 45 years old.  It's the first time in his/her life they have been drunk.  They had two drinks at a friend's house when they got a phone call that their disabled spouse has had a dire medical emergency and is on the verge of dying.  On top of that, the drunk driver is the sole support of this spouse and five children.  This person, not realizing they had too much to drink, was racing to their spouse's bedside.

Again, it's situational and subjective.  There is no reason at all to make a choice because the final conclusion may tip either way depending on the circumstances.

I think what is needed is a framework within what is justice for our culture that takes situation into account but that framework must be in place before the individual case being judged, otherwise your compassion is not being distrbuted fairly.

You can build compassion into the framework of justice and through justice ensure that it is applied equally, so if the case you describe occurs to 2 separate people who get two different judges they will get similarly compassionate treatment, not rely on the individual compassion of the judge they are lucky (or unlucky) enough to find themselves in front of.

So I think we need compassionate justice to ensure just compassion.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote:Timf1234

Susan wrote:
Timf1234 wrote:

But I do not advocate government to legislate compassion.

I have come to the conclusion that Justice can be demanded but compassion can only be requested.

I do not want anyone force compassion out of me. But I support forced justice.

Forced justice leaves no room for compassion.  Legislated justice leaves no room for compassion.  (Think the Three Strikes Laws and now there are people sitting in prison for life because they were arrested for something relatively minor.) 

Timf1234 wrote:
I advocate justice (symmetrical thought experiments) with one's own thought.

Susan,

I think you are now defining "logic" (looking at questions from all angles) as "thought justice".  It's just logic thinking skills.  No reason to put a fancy name on it.

Besides, justice as we've been discussing it (talking about consequences and punishments to actions) in relation to compassion doesn't have anything to do with defining critical thinking skills. 

Well, I do not see why forced justice won't leave any room for compassion. We can teach our children, friends, and citizen to be compassionate.

You wrote:

Quote:
Three Strikes Laws and now there are people sitting in prison for life because they were arrested for something relatively minor.

I am not disagreeing with you fully, just partially.

Three Strikes law is unfair, unjust.

Three strikes law is like trying to kill a fly with a sledge hammer. Three strike law is more of politics than justice. My question of Justice vs. Compassion was about true justice - not today's many idiotic national and internatinal laws.

This brings us to the topic of Human Behavior modification techniques - crime and punishment. I am a great fan of B.F. Skinner - Famous sociologist/psychologist.IMHO, there are 3 elements needed in punishment and one additional one for altering behavior

1) Severity

2) Certainty

3) Promptness

California is incapable of providing 2 and 3 therefore they just increased the 1. Most difficult is 2.

We do not touch high voltage electricity because the punishment is a) severe b) certain c) immediate.Education is needed to alter behavior so that we can see far ahead. Not the kind of sick education is coming out of Hollywood.I am a little bit off the topic.Back to the question of (True) Justice vs. Compassion.

All men (women) are neither created equal nor attain equal status, wealth, skill, and intellect in their life time.

Thomas Jafferson was wrong saying "All men are created equal." -That's a faith of atheist Jafferson.

We cannot demand someone else to pay for the injustices done by the nature to unfortunates.

Unless we put all the laws of nations, including international laws on trial in the court of our mind we will never get the truth. Take nothing, no laws for granted. World is full of unfair laws. That is not justice.

One of the implication of tilting toward justice over compassion is that there will be very poor and very rich people in the world.

Too much compassion will work against the evolution/natural selection theory.  A slight off balance compassion over justice can make capable be extinct. Capable can be eaten up by the sheer number of incapables.

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote:BGH

Nero wrote:
BGH wrote:
jce wrote:

The answer is compassionate justice.

Wait, wait, wait.....

How about 'passionate compassion' with 'justified justice'? Sound good? 

ROTFLMAO!!!! Do you work for the Bush Administration? If not, I think you could fit in very easily! *wipes away the tears*

Nero,

Bush Administration won't hire any Jihadist.Smile

Also see my last response to Susan, if you are interested.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234 wrote: pariahjane

Timf1234 wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

Neither. If the group that is catching a lot of fish are smarter and more hardworking than the other group, I see no reason why they should be penalized for their productivity.

I'm not quite sure how that relates to 'justice', though.

Pariahjane,

Well Justice is fairness. I take concept of justice/fairness all the way deep. Doing justice with one's own thought is what I advocate. Justice with one's own thought is looking from every possible angle, do symmetrical thought experiments. Only by doing justice with one's own thought one can get to the truth. Justice in mind is the best filter to sort out truth from false.

Your idea of justice is an ideal.  Justice is not necessarily fair, it is what the powers that be say it is.  What I think is justice, another may not.  It's still subjective.   

But why the question in the first place?  You clearly think that justice and compassion have some sort of relevance.  Are they related?  What are your thoughts on this? 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234 wrote: Bush

Timf1234 wrote:

Some would say Bush is a jihadist. You don't need to be a muslim to fight a 'holy' war.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234 wrote: pariahjane

Timf1234 wrote:

pariahjane wrote:

Just as an aside, cryptic mysterious posts such as these generally don't bring much to the table.

It would be much better if you could state what you're trying to say plainily instead of trying to create an air of mystery.

Also, suggesting that half of us are essentially beneath you won't win you any points either.

There is nothing cryptic about these questions.

These are the foundation, building block of one's morality, sense of right or wrong.

Using these one can build other higher level right and wrongs frameworks, and form opinioin on world politics as well.

For example, knowing, that Natural selection gave us "Selfishness" and "Altruism" both. But at the end of the day, when push comes to shove, selfishness wins - in general. Selfishness is required for the survival of species and altruism is needed for spieces to thrive (think, achieve consciousness, wisdom) - hence balancing act is paramount.

I have been very clear, consistent and coherent in my messages, posts.I repeat, I am not a theist.I am not a Jihadist.

I was referring specifically to your post regarding Nero.  It was cryptic.  

We are a skeptical bunch here.  There are things that perhaps don't make sense with some people around here. I have not made any personal decision regarding whether you are an atheist, theist, jihadist or apostate.  In my opinion, we are also an accepting bunch.  Feel free to tell us a bit more about yourself.  And again, all of this is my own personal opinion.  I speak for no one else.

That being said - I agree with you regarding selfishness vs. altruism.  However, I don't think selfishness should be equated with justice. Justice is slightly more accommodating (ideally) than selfishness.  I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with regard to justice. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234

Timf1234 wrote:

No offence, that's sounds like cop out.

Would you agree that justice can be demanded but compassion can only be requested? I do.

I do not want government to legislate compassion but I do want gov. to force the justice.

Would you agree?

No offense taken, but it was not a cop out answer. It was partially mocking the thread but it was not a cop out.

No, I do not agree that justice can be demanded but compassion only requested.

The government issue/question were not part of the OP and since I do not know what country you live in, I cannot offer an opinion on this.

{edit for quotes} 

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote:Timf1234

Susan wrote:
Timf1234 wrote:

Susan, pariahjane and whoever is interested in:

Pariahjane, Oh, no. I am not equating selfishness with Justice. No way. As a matter of fact selfishness is a hinderence in justice.

You wanted to know more about myself. I will get into that halfway down in this post.

Susan, You are right in describing above scenario. Figuring out what is justice in each individual case is not easy.What can I say? Yes, you are correct.

Having said that... Please read the following carefully. [Please, for a moment take my side in your own mind and fill in any gaps/blanks I might have left out due to my poor English or hasty typing.] 

So, how far one should seek out the reason behind a wrong doing?

Where do we stop?

How about taking into consideration of one's upbringing, poverty, lack of education?How about genetic code?

How about the perpetrator's forefather's bad gene or his bad influence?

See, if one considers all the factors then at the end of the day it is no one's fault. An conclusion of a true compassionate person and a true justice lover both of whom takes everything under the sun into account.

No one’s fault? What this got to do with Free Will? Right?

A philosopher once said "Give me a piece of rock and I can take that rock under my microscope and eventually I will tell you past, present and the future of this universe." I never forgot this since I learned this 40 years ago in my childhood. I understood it.

40 years later, Now, I say:

Give me two things that no matter how different or disconnected might appear on the surface but after a lot of thinking I can show you at least one thing in common in them.

Corollary: Give me two things that no matter how similar it might appear I can show you at least one thing in which they differ. 

That brings us to discussion of a smart mind and enlightened mind. An enlightened mind sees things holistically, in coherence with nature. Consistent logic all across the board is the ultimate justice that I advocate and passionate about it.

An enlightened mind is fully networked mind - all thoughts are cross checked, and being cross checked every minute. Take no prisoner. Accept nothing for granted.

Any one can have few principles, here and there, (there is no god, or there is god) in disconnected fashion and never bother to cross check them. What that got to do with Brain washing versus understood one? Right?

Neurons are too precious not to have them fully networked to realize it's full potential. Power of a network grows geometrically with the number of connection. yes, every single post of mine is connected and has rational relationship.

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote:

jce wrote:

since I do not know what country you live in, I cannot offer an opinion on this.

My argument is independed of country. I did not mention any specific country or culture or religion to present my view point.

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Timf1234

pariahjane wrote:
Timf1234 wrote:

pariahjane wrote:

Just as an aside, cryptic mysterious posts such as these generally don't bring much to the table.

It would be much better if you could state what you're trying to say plainily instead of trying to create an air of mystery.

Also, suggesting that half of us are essentially beneath you won't win you any points either.

There is nothing cryptic about these questions.

These are the foundation, building block of one's morality, sense of right or wrong.

Using these one can build other higher level right and wrongs frameworks, and form opinioin on world politics as well.

For example, knowing, that Natural selection gave us "Selfishness" and "Altruism" both. But at the end of the day, when push comes to shove, selfishness wins - in general. Selfishness is required for the survival of species and altruism is needed for spieces to thrive (think, achieve consciousness, wisdom) - hence balancing act is paramount.

I have been very clear, consistent and coherent in my messages, posts.I repeat, I am not a theist.I am not a Jihadist.

I was referring specifically to your post regarding Nero.  It was cryptic.  

We are a skeptical bunch here.  There are things that perhaps don't make sense with some people around here. I have not made any personal decision regarding whether you are an atheist, theist, jihadist or apostate.  In my opinion, we are also an accepting bunch.  Feel free to tell us a bit more about yourself.  And again, all of this is my own personal opinion.  I speak for no one else.

That being said - I agree with you regarding selfishness vs. altruism.  However, I don't think selfishness should be equated with justice. Justice is slightly more accommodating (ideally) than selfishness.  I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with regard to justice. 

pariahjane

I am not equating selfishness with justice.

Now, about personal question. Yes, I can tell you few things about myself but I hope you will reciprocate.

I was born and raised in a theist family. In second half of my teen age I figured out No Free Will thingy. Then I left my religion for good. Never ever regretted. I then fell in love. I fell in love with truth. Rest is history.

That was a long time ago. I am not sure how much should I give away my personal thing.

I am a male. I have multiple Master degrees in scientific fields. I have read many, many, many books. But that is not what I am proud of the most. I am proud of being able to connect the dots.

No, I was not born in the US. I am a foreign born us citizen. English is my 2nd language.

30 years ago, I figured out taht although not perfect, nor is number 1 in every respect but US is the best country for the people who are willing to work hard, smart and long hours. But US is not so good of a country for somewhat challenged people - Europe will be better for hem.

Fortunately, I was able to free myself from the handcuff of money by saving enough and learning and investing in the stock market for my very, very early retirement. Therefore, I could spend time learning and doing what I love and not what my boss tell me to do. Need for money and even of love, friendship can be weakness when looking for the truth - Remember Budha! I was fortunate enough to reduce my dependence on these things.

Unfortunately, my loved ones are still under the influence of the brain drug, religion. It pains me a lot. For this I almost cry whenever I think of them. I am trying to free them from this drug. I shouldn't tell you anything more specific about it.

Then I realized that many atheists are brain washed in believing in no god as all theists are brain washed in believing there is a god. In the last 5 years I conducted my own first hand poll and concluded that about 50% atheists are brain washed just as all theists are. I do not want to converse with these brain washed atheist.

I then started to ponder what we mean when we say xyz person is just reciting the theorem by rote memory but person abc understands.What is the difference between brainwash and understood? What is the difference in state of mind? I figured it out. I am going to post my 13 commandments in a separate threads just for you. 13 items there means nothing unless one can connect them in their mind from thousands of different angle. That is when the light bulb comes on.

Obviously, no individual, no group of people, no business, no country is perfect.

Now you tell me about yourself. is that your picture.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234 wrote:Nero

Timf1234 wrote:
Nero wrote:
BGH wrote:
jce wrote:

The answer is compassionate justice.

Wait, wait, wait.....

How about 'passionate compassion' with 'justified justice'? Sound good? 

ROTFLMAO!!!! Do you work for the Bush Administration? If not, I think you could fit in very easily! *wipes away the tears*

Nero,

Also see my last response to Susan, if you are interested.

The comment was directed at BGH,not you. 

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zzzzz... im still waiting

Zzzzz... im still waiting for tim to respond to any of my posts in any of the threads... zzzzzz...

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234 wrote: jce

Timf1234 wrote:
jce wrote:

since I do not know what country you live in, I cannot offer an opinion on this.

My argument is independed of country. I did not mention any specific country or culture or religion to present my view point.

You brought up government in your response to my post:

Timf1234 wrote:

I do not want government to legislate compassion but I do want gov. to force the justice.

Would you agree?

Since governmental structure varies from country to country it is impossible to offer an opinion on any without first determining which government is being discussed. 

You mention justice being a 'right', which again is dependent upon the governmental policies of each country.

It really doesn't matter since I have gotten the impression that you are only interested in responses that agree with whatever conclusions you have drawn in your head.  You have already stated that you tied all of this into your concept of 'free will' so you will naturally reject any ideas that conflict with supporting evidence for your own concept.  I will withdraw from this thread since I cannot see our discussion moving along in a productive manner.  I neither agree nor disagree with your statements regarding 'free will' because it annoys me when someone makes up their own definition for a word and then pronounces themselves right by picking phrases out of other's responses and twisting them to fit their needs. As I stated before, I could just as easily state that 'red' is blue because in my mind that is how I define 'red'.  It doesn't make it right though.

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
silentseba wrote:Zzzzz...

silentseba wrote:
Zzzzz... im still waiting for tim to respond to any of my posts in any of the threads... zzzzzz...

I already have responded, plese scroll up/back and look.

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Silentseba,   I am

Quote:
Silentseba,

I am sorry, I am not trying to avoid your post.

Please give me some time. I got few things to take of.

Thanks.

Uhmm thanks but I wan't a real response. Saying that you will respond later does not count as an actual response.

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
No, no. I responded after

No, no.

I responded after that. I am pretty sure. Please scroll down from there.

I responded to everyone's post.

Please do not get me wrong. I do not intent to ignore me. I respect you. I might learn few things from you too.

The only thing I can not stand is unreasonable person they are all around you. That is why I come to the atheists side expecting a higher percentage of reasonable people.

Go ahead start any topic ask any question. I will participate - unless i know nothing about it.

I am looking for serious people. Very serious, I mean very, very serious.

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can anyone point me to his

Can anyone point me to his response since he doesn't even want to tell me where it is? 

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
silentseba wrote: Can

silentseba wrote:
Can anyone point me to his response since he doesn't even want to tell me where it is? 

Well, it takes more time for me to find the response.

If you can kindly cut and post your question here again I will respond. I will respond seriously.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234 wrote:

Timf1234 wrote:

pariahjane

Now, about personal question. Yes, I can tell you few things about myself but I hope you will reciprocate.

I was born and raised in a theist family. In second half of my teen age I figured out No Free Will thingy. Then I left my religion for good. Never ever regretted. I then fell in love. I fell in love with truth. Rest is history.

That was a long time ago. I am not sure how much should I give away my personal thing.

I am a male. I have multiple Master degrees in scientific fields. I have read many, many, many books. But that is not what I am proud of the most. I am proud of being able to connect the dots.

No, I was not born in the US. I am a foreign born us citizen. English is my 2nd language.

30 years ago, I figured out taht although not perfect, nor is number 1 in every respect but US is the best country for the people who are willing to work hard, smart and long hours. But US is not so good of a country for somewhat challenged people - Europe will be better for hem.

Fortunately, I was able to free myself from the handcuff of money by saving enough and learning and investing in the stock market for my very, very early retirement. Therefore, I could spend time learning and doing what I love and not what my boss tell me to do. Need for money and even of love, friendship can be weakness when looking for the truth - Remember Budha! I was fortunate enough to reduce my dependence on these things.

Unfortunately, my loved ones are still under the influence of the brain drug, religion. It pains me a lot. For this I almost cry whenever I think of them. I am trying to free them from this drug. I shouldn't tell you anything more specific about it.

Then I realized that many atheists are brain washed in believing in no god as all theists are brain washed in believing there is a god. In the last 5 years I conducted my own first hand poll and concluded that about 50% atheists are brain washed just as all theists are. I do not want to converse with these brain washed atheist.

I then started to ponder what we mean when we say xyz person is just reciting the theorem by rote memory but person abc understands.What is the difference between brainwash and understood? What is the difference in state of mind? I figured it out. I am going to post my 13 commandments in a separate threads just for you. 13 items there means nothing unless one can connect them in their mind from thousands of different angle. That is when the light bulb comes on.

Obviously, no individual, no group of people, no business, no country is perfect.

Fair enough.  I suppose that there could be religious and non-religious alike that merely accept everything they are told.

And yes, that's my picture. I have no degrees.  I've read many books though.   

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234 wrote: So, how

Timf1234 wrote:

So, how far one should seek out the reason behind a wrong doing?

Where do we stop?

How about taking into consideration of one's upbringing, poverty, lack of education?How about genetic code?

How about the perpetrator's forefather's bad gene or his bad influence?

See, if one considers all the factors then at the end of the day it is no one's fault. An conclusion of a true compassionate person and a true justice lover both of whom takes everything under the sun into account.

But you know, unless you are the person doling out the punishment for whatever crime, it doesn't matter.  No reason to strain your brain unless it's warranted.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote:Timf1234

pariahjane wrote:
Timf1234 wrote:

pariahjane

Now, about personal question. Yes, I can tell you few things about myself but I hope you will reciprocate.

I am a male. I have multiple Master degrees in scientific fields. I have read many, many, many books. But that is not what I am proud of the most. I am proud of being able to connect the dots.

30 years ago, I figured out taht although not perfect, nor is number 1 in every respect but US is the best country for the people who are willing to work hard, smart and long hours. But US is not so good of a country for somewhat challenged people - Europe will be better for hem.

Fortunately, I was able to free myself from the handcuff of money by saving enough and learning and investing in the stock market for my very, very early retirement. Therefore, I could spend time learning and doing what I love and not what my boss tell me to do. Need for money and even of love, friendship can be weakness when looking for the truth - Remember Budha! I was fortunate enough to reduce my dependence on these things.

Unfortunately, my loved ones are still under the influence of the brain drug, religion. It pains me a lot. For this I almost cry whenever I think of them. I am trying to free them from this drug. I shouldn't tell you anything more specific about it.

Then I realized that many atheists are brain washed in believing in no god as all theists are brain washed in believing there is a god. In the last 5 years I conducted my own first hand poll and concluded that about 50% atheists are brain washed just as all theists are. I do not want to converse with these brain washed atheist.

Fair enough.  I suppose that there could be religious and non-religious alike that merely accept everything they are told.

And yes, that's my picture. I have no degrees.  I've read many books though.   

PariahJane,

Nice picture. 

You wrote: Fair enough.  I suppose that there could be religious and non-religious alike that merely accept everything they are told.

did you mean what you wrote? You understand the implication of it, right?

Btw, All or almost all theists are brain washed but not all atheist are brain washed.

If you read no other book then at least read "Stumbling on Happyness" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400042666/bookstorenow600-20

YOu will be emmensely benefited from it. It cost less than $10.

Oh, did you see/read my 13 Commandmends I posted?

GodofWar
User is offlineOffline
Justice should always take

Justice should always take precedence when concerning matters of the law and compassion should be used when dealing with the weak who are in need of assistance from the strong. And for someone who might say what if one of the weak breaks the law with good intentions; like a man stealing to feed his family. I believe in reason and logic therefore JUSTICE.

Rave
User is offlineOffline
Come now, there's more to

Come now, there's more to it than Justice and Compassion. To complete the Quest of the Avatar one must be a shining example for the people of Britannia in all eight of the virtues - Honesty, Compassion, Valor, Justice, Sacrifice, Honor, Spirituality, and Humility.

Only then can one enter the great Stygian Abyss to recover the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom!

Seriously though, I think society is more healthy when the goverment (the law) values justice over compassion and when citizens do actually value compassion for one another - but not more than they value justice.

"This is the real world, stupid." - Charlie Brooker

"It is necessary to be bold. Some people can be reasoned into sense, and others must be shocked into it. Say a bold thing that will stagger them, and they will begin to think." - Thomas Paine