One small example of why hating religion is not just a hobby for me, but a full-time job.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
One small example of why hating religion is not just a hobby for me, but a full-time job.

Now that I have your attention, I'd like to ask for advice.  "God Stole My Friends" has been a recurring theme in my life and it's happening again.  I have some new information concerning a friendship I thought was dead a few months ago.  I'm very emotional about the whole thing, so I'm not sure what I should do.  Right now I'm mulling it over.

If you care to pipe in, please do so in this thread: http://tinyurl.com/2ju7ly <--clickety click

I could use some input.

Thanks!

In reason,

Iruka Naminori 

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
so I'm not sure what I

so I'm not sure what I should do.

Move. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just now noticed the

I just now noticed the dates on your posts. After 3 months her boyfriend sends you a email? What the...? I can only guess what is happening between her and her bf and your guess is better than mine.

All I can say is wait

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: I just now

AiiA wrote:

I just now noticed the dates on your posts. After 3 months her boyfriend sends you a email? What the...? I can only guess what is happening between her and her bf and your guess is better than mine.

All I can say is wait

He wants me to try to call her again.   I really don't want to.  I already tried to e-mail her.  I already called her.  I've already contacted her a Brazilian™ times.  During the past month I have been making my peace with the end of the friendship.  Now her boyfriend writes me and tells me this shit.  What am I supposed to do?

On the one hand, I don't like that she's miserable (and possibly suicidal); on the other hand, I'm really tired of this shit.  I went through my own private hell when she wouldn't talk to me, then went through a little more hell when I realized she wasn't going to talk to me.  I would rather not subject myself to more of that. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: so I'm

deludedgod wrote:

Move.

I would love to, deludedgod, but I don't have the funds or the necessary energy.  I need help just to function in my day-to-day life.  At some point I'd like to troubleshoot this with someone I can trust to see if there's an answer that has eluded me.  I thought about explaining the situation here, but I'm a little gun-shy when it comes to my health problems.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
deludedgod wrote:

Move.

I would love to, deludedgod, but I don't have the funds or the necessary energy. I need help just to function in my day-to-day life. At some point I'd like to troubleshoot this with someone I can trust to see if there's an answer that has eluded me. I thought about explaining the situation here, but I'm a little gun-shy when it comes to my health problems.

It's easier said than done, for sure, but I agree with Deludedgod.  The environment you're in seems to create nothing but conflict for you.  I would hazard a guess that you feel alone quite often.  Maybe not move across country, but at least to a fresh area that is less fundy-ridden?  Cali is a big place!  Of course, there seems to be a big chunk of important info(your health issues) that could certainly throw a wrench into your plans.  But without knowing what the problem is, its kinda hard to advise.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."