Idea's for changing my new bible's front

zntneo
Superfan
Posts: 565
Joined: 2007-01-25
User is offlineOffline
Idea's for changing my new bible's front

I am not sure if this is the right place for this so move it if there is a better place.

My question is i would like to deface my bible so that if someone sees me reading it they know that I don't believe the rubbish inside the bible. Any ides? The only thing I've come up with is just writing fiction on it, but i don't think thats good enough.

Oh i should also say that this bible i am getting for free so i'm not defacing something that cost me money.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
What about getting one of

What about getting one of those warning stickers from the ffrf for it? Or write "Bullshit" on it.


MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
You could just snicker alot

You could just snicker alot and say stuff like, "yeah, right" or "Wtf?!" or "God is a shit" while you are reading it.


zntneo
Superfan
Posts: 565
Joined: 2007-01-25
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: What

MattShizzle wrote:
What about getting one of those warning stickers from the ffrf for it? Or write "Bullshit" on it.

I thought about the ffrf but i think i want something shorter.  I want someone to look at the bible and think oh he doesn't believe that. I have not decided yet how offensive I would like it to be.  I think the shorter an sweeter the better, but i want people to understand it. I think putting bullshit would just make people wonder what it means. If i did that i would need like this book is bullshit or something along those lines.


Symok
Symok's picture
Posts: 63
Joined: 2006-12-09
User is offlineOffline


xamination
xamination's picture
Posts: 420
Joined: 2007-02-01
User is offlineOffline
Love the last one, but for

Love the last one, but for the love of God(just an expression folks), please do not talk while reading a Bible in a church.  Unless you want to get in a religeous debate with some smug young man, get a stern talking-to by some middle-aged lady, get invited by 3 to 5 people to Bible study classes, and to get the evil eye from most of the congregation the next time you enter.  Which you might.

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.


cannibal213
cannibal213's picture
Posts: 30
Joined: 2007-01-19
User is offlineOffline
How about writing on there

How about writing on there "the 2000 year myth"?


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
zntneo wrote: I am not sure

zntneo wrote:
I am not sure if this is the right place for this so move it if there is a better place. My question is i would like to deface my bible so that if someone sees me reading it they know that I don't believe the rubbish inside the bible. Any ides? The only thing I've come up with is just writing fiction on it, but i don't think thats good enough. Oh i should also say that this bible i am getting for free so i'm not defacing something that cost me money.

Put a sticker on it that changes the title to "Holey Buybull" or whatever your favorite name for it is. Smiling 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
Posts: 461
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
Symok, Always awesome. I

Symok,

Always awesome. I made a real one to print out a while back. There's a higher resolution one for printing if anyone wants a copy too. Smiling

 


zntneo
Superfan
Posts: 565
Joined: 2007-01-25
User is offlineOffline
Does everyone think that

Does everyone think that this will get it across if someone just glances at it?


zntneo
Superfan
Posts: 565
Joined: 2007-01-25
User is offlineOffline
Does everyone think having

Does everyone think having that sticker on it will get the message accross of someone just looks at the book really quick?


StMichael
Theist
StMichael's picture
Posts: 609
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
That tag seems mighty

That tag seems mighty overstated to me. I could understand certain of those claims, but the Bible nowhere promotes (in fact, many of these are very much cause for condemnation in the Bible), for example: suicide, incest, homosexuality, voyeurism, sadomasochism, use of drugs or alcohol, sexual activity in a violent context, bestiality, revenge, undermining of authority figures, or lawlessness. On a sidenote, if the Bible DID support, for example, "homosexuality" or "bestiality" or "use of drugs and alcohol" wouldn't you folks rejoice in this? Really, then why the advocates of homosexuality who claim the Bible evil and outdated because it condemns such action? Or, if frat parties were sponsored by the Bible with requisite commands that "Thou shalt engage in consumption of large quantities of ale and whoring," why wouldn't college frat boys take every opportunity to rejoice in the Bible?

Yours In Christ, Eternal Wisdom,
StMichael

Psalm 50(1):8. For behold thou hast loved truth: the uncertain and hidden things of thy wisdom thou hast made manifest to me.


Vessel
Vessel's picture
Posts: 646
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
StMichael wrote: On a

StMichael wrote:
On a sidenote, if the Bible DID support, for example, "homosexuality" or "bestiality" or "use of drugs and alcohol" wouldn't you folks rejoice in this?

Apparently someone associates atheists with people who use drugs while fucking dogs of their same sex. Ah, well, its nice to know what you think of atheists there St. Michael.

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins


StMichael
Theist
StMichael's picture
Posts: 609
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
I didn't claim that all

I didn't claim that all people who were atheists did those things. I just ask why, then, people seem to think that the Bible condemns these actions? If the homosexual community found those passages, I think they would be very happy. Likewise for those people who love drugs and alcohol. I think we need to bring the Gospel to them Smiling

Yours In Christ, Eternal Wisdom,
StMichael

Psalm 50(1):8. For behold thou hast loved truth: the uncertain and hidden things of thy wisdom thou hast made manifest to me.


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
zntneo wrote: Does everyone

zntneo wrote:
Does everyone think that this will get it across if someone just glances at it?

No...not unless you make the WARNING! part HUGE. Smiling

If you really want to get the message across, go with a big title like "2000-Year-Old Myth," "Holey Buybull" or "Wholly Babble."

 

 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


StMichael
Theist
StMichael's picture
Posts: 609
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
I don't see the need to

I don't see the need to place stickers and deface Scripture. It seems you are just drawing attention to yourselves, and, in contrariety to your aims, drawing attention to Scripture, offending the sensibilities of even non-Christans and enabling others to become sympathetic of them. It seems also rather redundant to do so. If it were false, it ought to be obvious to most people and/or easily disproven, and its falsity would inevitably lead to its demise.

Yours In Christ, Eternal Wisdom,
StMichael

Psalm 50(1):8. For behold thou hast loved truth: the uncertain and hidden things of thy wisdom thou hast made manifest to me.


Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
Posts: 264
Joined: 2006-04-06
User is offlineOffline
hey how about a

hey how about a sticker....

Parental Advisory - Explicit Content, etc

or

Rated R

or

a simple pict of a baby (or family or what ever) and the bible with a red circle and slash through it. 

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
StMichael wrote: I don't

StMichael wrote:
I don't see the need to place stickers and deface Scripture.

You still don't get it.

To many of us the bible isn't "scripture." It's a disgusting, violent, homophobic myth that has been venerated for far too long as somehow "holy."  Throughout the last 2000 years it has influenced many to commit atrocities similar to those found in its disgusting writings.

I can do anything I want to my copy of the Holey Buybull.  It's none of your business. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
Posts: 264
Joined: 2006-04-06
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

StMichael wrote:
I don't see the need to place stickers and deface Scripture.

You still don't get it.

I can do anything I want to my copy of the Holey Buybull. It's none of your business.

I think its a crime worthy of beheading if it were the koran in the middle east.....

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins


Tilberian
Moderator
Tilberian's picture
Posts: 1118
Joined: 2006-11-27
User is offlineOffline
StMichael wrote: That tag

StMichael wrote:
That tag seems mighty overstated to me. I could understand certain of those claims, but the Bible nowhere promotes (in fact, many of these are very much cause for condemnation in the Bible), for example: suicide, incest, homosexuality, voyeurism, sadomasochism, use of drugs or alcohol, sexual activity in a violent context, bestiality, revenge, undermining of authority figures, or lawlessness. On a sidenote, if the Bible DID support, for example, "homosexuality" or "bestiality" or "use of drugs and alcohol" wouldn't you folks rejoice in this? Really, then why the advocates of homosexuality who claim the Bible evil and outdated because it condemns such action? Or, if frat parties were sponsored by the Bible with requisite commands that "Thou shalt engage in consumption of large quantities of ale and whoring," why wouldn't college frat boys take every opportunity to rejoice in the Bible? Yours In Christ, Eternal Wisdom, StMichael

 

I don't have time or I'd look up and post the link to that site where every one of these claims is backed up with quotes from the bible.  Help!

The fact that the bible contains approving mentions of all these things is useful to us because it points up the hypocisy of those who would try to tell us that the bible is a foundation for moral authority.  In fact, morals in modern secular society have advanced to a point where we can look at the bible and see it for what it is - a manual for disseminating a specific religion through the most barbaric means possible, moral considerations quite aside.

Things like drugs and homosexuality are on the list because these are the very things that bible thumpers rail against, all unknowing (or uncaring) that their most holy book contains passages approving of them.  Hypocrisy! 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Would "If you believe this

Would "If you believe this you are insane" fit?


StMichael
Theist
StMichael's picture
Posts: 609
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
I can see how you would say

I can see how you would say that some of those things are justified by Scripture, but I think you overreach enormously in many of those categories as I have outlined. Nobody answered, likewise, my statement about how this is really detrimental to your cause in the end.

Lastly, when I said, you are defacing "Scripture" I did not mean that YOU accepted Scripture as true. I merely indicated that is what you were doing - you were defacing my particular group's sacred writings, aka scriptures. I understand that you hate it, but I see no reason to make many of your claims about it (the homosexuality, drugs, ect. which are clearly not supported therein). Again, if the homosexual community got their hands on those passages, I am sure they would heckle the bible-thumpers with them. But they haven't. Why not?

Quote:

I can do anything I want to my copy of the Holey Buybull. It's none of your business.

It might not be my business what you do with a copy of the Bible you bought at the store, but it is my business when you pursue irrational hatreds of other people, just furthering the very problem you claim to solve for.

Yours In Christ, Eternal Wisdom,
StMichael

Psalm 50(1):8. For behold thou hast loved truth: the uncertain and hidden things of thy wisdom thou hast made manifest to me.


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
StMichael wrote: It might

StMichael wrote:
It might not be my business what you do with a copy of the Bible you bought at the store, but it is my business when you pursue irrational hatreds of other people, just furthering the very problem you claim to solve for. Yours In Christ, Eternal Wisdom, StMichael

How is calling the bible on its immorality condoning hatred toward others?  Defacing a disgusting book has nothing to do with hating others.  Would you say I was condoning hatred if I scribbled something derrogatory on a copy of Mein Kampf?  No.  I would simply be calling attention to the hatred OUTLINED in Mein Kampf, which is nothing compared to the genocidal hatred outlined in the Holey Buybull.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: I don't

Tilberian wrote:

I don't have time or I'd look up and post the link to that site where every one of these claims is backed up with quotes from the bible. Help!

The fact that the bible contains approving mentions of all these things is useful to us because it points up the hypocisy of those who would try to tell us that the bible is a foundation for moral authority. In fact, morals in modern secular society have advanced to a point where we can look at the bible and see it for what it is - a manual for disseminating a specific religion through the most barbaric means possible, moral considerations quite aside.

Things like drugs and homosexuality are on the list because these are the very things that bible thumpers rail against, all unknowing (or uncaring) that their most holy book contains passages approving of them. Hypocrisy!

You shouldn't have to look up immorality in the Buybull. St. Michael knows what's in it. He has just explained it away to silence the cognitive dissonance in his mind. He's far more culpable for his position than some poor sap on the street who hasn't even read the thing.

I've read it multiple times. At one point, I had much of it committed to memory. I've spent the last twenty years getting it out of my head because it is quite simply one of the most vile books ever written.

I've never done this before, but here...have some quotes:

"Tolerance is anathema to devout divinity-centered religionists..."--Dr. Albert Ellis, from "The Case Against Religiosity", published by American Atheist Press.

"There is not one verse in the Bible inhibiting slavery, but many regulating it. It is not then, we conclude, immoral." -- Rev. Alexander Campbell

"My correspondent thinks with Mr. Jefferson, that Jehovah has no attributes that will harmonize with slavery; and that all men are born free and equal. Now, I say let him throw away his Bible as Mr. Jefferson did his and then they will be fit companions. But never disgrace the Bible by making Mr. Jefferson its expounder, nor Mr. Jefferson by deriving his sentiments from it. Mr. Jefferson did not bow to the authority of the Bible, and on this subject I do not bow to him." -- Rev. Thornton Stringfellow, D.D., Scriptural View of Slavery

"If God kills, lies, cheats, discriminates, and otherwise behaves in a manner that puts the Mafia to shame, that's Okay, he's God. He can do whatever he wants. Anyone who adheres to this philosophy has had his sense of morality, decency, justice and humaneness warped beyond recognition by the very book that is supposedly preaching the opposite." -- Dennis McKinsey, of the newsletter Biblical Errancy

"Most people are bothered by those passages of scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I DO understand." -- Mark Twain

"The Bible is one of the most genocidal books in history."--Noam Chomsky

“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.” - Isaac Asimov (1920-1992), Russian-born American scientist and prolific writer

“Christianity is the most perverted system ever shone to man.”  - Thomas Jefferson

“Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world.” - Voltaire

"The Bible tells us to be like God, and then on page after page it describes God as a mass murderer. This may be the single most important key to the political behavior of Western Civilization." -R.A. Wilson

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” – Voltaire

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” – Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

“Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.” - Thomas Paine

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


StMichael
Theist
StMichael's picture
Posts: 609
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
Quote: How is calling the

Quote:
How is calling the bible on its immorality condoning hatred toward others?

Hmm.... let's see... Let's just reread that sticker above:
pathological disorders, hallucinations, delusions, decreased cognitive and objective thinking abilities. I would call that merely your way of dismissing them as being not "real" people - deluded fanatics.

Quote:
I would simply be calling attention to the hatred OUTLINED in Mein Kampf, which is nothing compared to the genocidal hatred outlined in the Holey Buybull.

I think the claim completely unsupported. Regardless, just defacing somebody's religious text for fun seems rather childish and doesn't advance your cause at all.

Yours In Christ, Eternal Wisdom,
StMichael

Psalm 50(1):8. For behold thou hast loved truth: the uncertain and hidden things of thy wisdom thou hast made manifest to me.


zntneo
Superfan
Posts: 565
Joined: 2007-01-25
User is offlineOffline
I'm not defacing it for fun.

I'm not defacing it for fun. i'm defacing it so when someone looks at me reading the stupid thing, people can know that i don't believe any of the hogwash in the bible.


StMichael
Theist
StMichael's picture
Posts: 609
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
I read Richard Dawkins and a

I read Richard Dawkins and a whole lot of other hogwash and I have no compulsive desire to deface his image. It is childish and without reason that one would do it.

Yours In Christ, Eternal Wisdom,
StMichael

Psalm 50(1):8. For behold thou hast loved truth: the uncertain and hidden things of thy wisdom thou hast made manifest to me.


zntneo
Superfan
Posts: 565
Joined: 2007-01-25
User is offlineOffline
Yes but when people see you

Yes but when people see you reading those things they dont' assume you believe whats in it. I want to show other people that i don't blieve in the crap. And I don't know how you can say dawkins stuff is hogwash. When its based on fact and evidence. Something the bible is lacking eminsly. I know you are going to come back with but it does have evidence and blah blah blah.  Same tired theistic crap everyone on this board hears over and over. Has been debunked by people on this same board and yet is still repeated.

 

This is besides the point. Its my book. I can do what i want with it. Its not something that is special and that should be defaced. Therefore, i see nothing wrong with it. I would deface any other thing that i see so much hagwash in as the bible. Such as the quran or anything else.  

 


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
zntneo wrote:

zntneo wrote:

Yes but when people see you reading those things they dont' assume you believe whats in it. I want to show other people that i don't blieve in the crap. And I don't know how you can say dawkins stuff is hogwash. When its based on fact and evidence. Something the bible is lacking eminsly. I know you are going to come back with but it does have evidence and blah blah blah. Same tired theistic crap everyone on this board hears over and over. Has been debunked by people on this same board and yet is still repeated.

 

This is besides the point. Its my book. I can do what i want with it. Its not something that is special and that should be defaced. Therefore, i see nothing wrong with it. I would deface any other thing that i see so much hagwash in as the bible. Such as the quran or anything else.

 

Ignore Mr. Delusional...he isn't even supposed to be posting in "Freethinkers Anonymous."  I only just realized this or I would have ignored him, too.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.