Is religion hard-wired into us?

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is religion hard-wired into us?

A lot of people would argue that this is so. It certainly seems that religion came very early in human evolution and that it was an integral part of social structure. At this point in our evolution, it is a trait that has outlived its usefulness. I'm worried that we won't be able to rid ourselves of religion before it's too late. I mean, look at how hard-headed theists are. Some, like many of us who post in this forum, will deconvert. Most won't.

Could this be an exercise in futility? I suppose we need to try, regardless, but geez. Sad Every time I log on, some theist has posted Pascal's wager, the "unmoved mover," some stupid ontological argument or (insert your favorite overused, tired, ineffective and logically-flawed theistic argument here). I get about five sentences into the post, roll my eyes and close the window. Ugh. I'm not cut out to patiently argue with theists.

It would be nice for someone to post concise rebuttals to the usual arguments and post them as stickies somewhere, so all you have to do is give the theist a link, tell him/her to read the rebuttal and come back after he/she has read it. Smiling That isn't terribly interactive, but it might save someone's carpal tunnels.

Okay, I got off on a tangent. I guess what I want to hear is 1) is it necessary for religion to die if we are to continue as a species? 2) do you think it's possible for religion to die?

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Roly1976
User is offlineOffline
Of course the theist

Of course the theist numbskulls are going to be persistent and hard-headed, their whole world view is based on utter credulity and outright condemnation of those that disagree with them.  But it's always getting better - imagine what Thomas Paine, Spinoza, Hume and countless other atheist visionaries (many unrecorded) felt like at a time when you could literally be executed for stating disbelief in god(s)? So it may take time for the majority of people to get over their god delusion, but for instance here in the UK 36% of the population are non-believers and 42% of the population think the Government pays too much attention to religious groups (see humanism.org.uk). 

I don't think it's necessary for organised religion to die for humanity to go on, though it would end a lot of suffering and stupidity. The vatican could pretty much halve global human suffering purely by allowing its followers to use condoms.  It's not the desire of some people to worship mad texts (or rocks or volcanos or fire for that matter) that sticks in my throat, but their need to make everyone else obey the same crap.  No one gives much of a damn about astrologers, because since about 1500 no one obeyed them or made others do so.  Once religion gets to that stage the battle is won, and we can leave it to the nut cases IMHO.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mods, I accidentally posted

Mods, I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum.  I think it should go in "Freethinkers Anonymous." Sorry about that.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.