The brain loves bullshit

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
The brain loves bullshit

My fundamentalist Christian buddy told me not too long ago that heaven is a wonderful place with streets paved with gold and that all Christians who die and go to heaven will get a beautiful mansion to live in. I got pissed at him for actually believing that crazy bullshit. He's 53 years old for God's sake and still believes in fairytales. I mean, why not believe in the Wizard of Oz too? It makes just as much sense. Nobody's ever seen Emerald City but the story book says it exists so we just need to have faith. If demons are real then who's to say flying monkeys aren't real too? It's all in the book so it must be true. Right?

Sometimes I think my buddy is a moron. But then I found this article that might explain why he still believes all that ridiculous nonsense.

http://www.csicop.org/si/2000-11/beliefs.html

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Interesting. One thing I see

Interesting. One thing I see is that people just hate, and have a hard time understanding, the idea that when you die, that's it - no more feeling anything.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll tell you one thing. If

I'll tell you one thing. If heaven is real, I aint going. Because if that's where God lives then I'm staying the hell away from there. According to the Bible, God acts like a jealous, spoiled, hateful jerk. He kills innocent people and burns cities and sends bugs to eat people's crops. He even threatened to send wild animals to kill some children. I don't want to be anywhere near that jerk. I'll just stay buried in the dirt.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
He didn't really threaten,

He didn't really threaten, so much as just let loose. (II Kings 2:23-25) 2 bears vs. 42 children.

And this website has a wonderful tale to tell to kids to teach them to respect the word of God. 

http://www.gracebaptist.ws/Sermons/notes/ChildrensSermons/TheProphet_TheChildren_TheBears.html 

I think there's a big difference between respect and fear. 

-Triften 

Jutter
Jutter's picture
User is offlineOffline
triften wrote: He didn't

triften wrote:

He didn't really threaten, so much as just let loose. (II Kings 2:23-25) 2 bears vs. 42 children.

And this website has a wonderful tale to tell to kids to teach them to respect the word of God.

http://www.gracebaptist.ws/Sermons/notes/ChildrensSermons/TheProphet_TheChildren_TheBears.html

I think there's a big difference between respect and fear.

-Triften

It's okay. You can speak freely. "He" can't hear you. 

~Let us be reasonable~

You want to claim there's such a thing as "the supernatural"? Fine. I hereby declare you to be "paracorrect" in doing so.