Argument of Demonic possesion?

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Argument of Demonic possesion?

I know a man who works at my hospital who agree's with me on every single argument I throw at him but he won't budge on the issue of demonic possesion. He claims to have been witness to a demonic possesion (Im mexico) when he was a young boy, He states that he witnessed an old women screaming and scratching her face and physically hurting herself for no apparent reason. He said that the only thing that keeps him hanging on in regards to Christianity is that when a pastor began singing hymns she stopped her behavior patterns. Now I myself am no Neurologist but It sounds more like a mind disorder than anything else. Does anyone know any good information on the topic of debunking possesion or explanations of possesions?

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   in 10 words, .... When

in 10 words, .... When brainwashed quick comfort would come from the brainwasher club  ....

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is worse is demonic

What is worse is demonic repossession.  That is when the demon comes in the middle of the night with a tow truck and takes your soul if you failed to make the payments up on it.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: What is worse

Nero wrote:
What is worse is demonic repossession. That is when the demon comes in the middle of the night with a tow truck and takes your soul if you failed to make the payments up on it.

Vanilla yogurt has just spurt forth from my nose!  There should be warnings when ridiculously funny things are coming up in a post.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

stevedave83
stevedave83's picture
User is offlineOffline
"...for no apparent

"...for no apparent reason."

Just because the cause isn't apparent, doesn't mean that it isn't there.  This is a common mistake that people make in regards to supernatural claims.  Let's put this person into several different situations...

If she did this while on a "ghost hunt", it must have happened because of spirit possession.

If she did this while witnessing fast moving lights in the sky, it must have been an alien mind control device.

If this happened to an active member of the church, it must be demon possession.

People have a tendency to apply something that they can't explain to...whatever it is they're looking for a the time.  It's possible that this woman is at best delusional, and at worst schizophrenic.  There was an episode of "Penn and Teller:  Bullshit!", in the last season that aired that deals with demon possession.  I suggest you track it down and give it a watch, there's a lot of good information in there.

By the way, you'll always hear exorcists talk about witnessing impossible things, such as people exhibiting superhuman strength, things floating around or people talking in "impossibly inhuman" voices.  However, in the multitude of exorcism videos you can find on youtube or other places, these things never seem to happen. 

You can't rationally argue out something that was not rationally argued in.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Probably didn't occur to

Probably didn't occur to him that someone could have started singing Irish drinking songs and it would probably have had the same effect.

Music Therapy is a really neat field.  I have only read a little about it, but there are so many neurological paths that music opens up, it's amazing.  You can take autistic children and use music to help them become socialized.  You can use it as a memory aid.  It really does alter our emotions.  It triggers the release of natural "drugs" in our brain.

There are many reasons a person might scream and scratch herself.  Paranoid schizophrenia comes to mind right away.  It's also possible for people to have severe negative reactions to various toxins -- or even normal substances that they have severe allergies to.  It's also possible that someone could be quite sane and act insane to get attention, or maybe to cover her own ass... if she did something she was ashamed of, and could blame it on demon possession, suddenly she would be pitied instead of reviled.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Probably didn't occur to him that someone could have started singing Irish drinking songs and it would probably have had the same effect.

That might work. "Jeeeeeeeeebus sayyyyz OUT, FOUL SPIRIT! (...two, three, four...)

If I should fall from the Grace of God

Where no doctor can relieve me

If I'm buried 'neath the sod

And the angels won't receive me

Let me go, boys; let me go, boys

Let me go down in the mud where the rivers all run dry

In Jesus' name, amen.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.