What's our symbol?

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's our symbol?

What's our symbol we use for people to recognize us as Atheists? Christians use T (which makes me hate my name, Trevor), Pagans use the Pentagram, Jewish people use the Star of David, and we've all seen the "RESPECT" bumper sticker on cars with all the different symbols. Is ours just a cool looking "A" or what?

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion, and he'll starve to death praying for fish." - Anonymous
"If God doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." -Anonymous

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is generally

This is generally considered to be the atheist symbol.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
There's also that red 'A'

There's also that red 'A' thingy, and the flying spaghetti monster, and the Darwin Fish (althought that is admittedly not specifically pro-atheism as much as pro-evolution/anti-intelligent design, but the two are conflated in many people's minds).

In my opinion, the most aesthetically pleasing is the invisible unicorn emblem, which can be seen here.

Since atheism isn't unified or (really) organized in any way, it's pretty much whatever you want it to be (the symbol, that is).

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh ok, I guess that makes

Oh ok, I guess that makes sense. Thank you for the responses

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
You can get the atheism

You can get the atheism symbol lapel pin at EvolveFish (in silver or gold):

http://evolvefish.com/fish/pins.html

You can also get a Flying Spaghetti Monster lapel pin.

I've ordered mine. Just waiting for the right semi-formal occasion to bust it out.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Evolved Morality
Evolved Morality's picture
User is offlineOffline
ive seen various differnt symbols used to support atheism

you have your atomic A like posted above

IPU Symbol   invisible pink unicorn

The celestrial Teapot

Flying spegetti monster 

the out campaign scarlet A

Darwin Fish

evolve fish  

a varity of meme's  are used in relation to atheism or suports atheism  

Evolved Morality

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: In my opinion,

Fish wrote:
In my opinion, the most aesthetically pleasing is the invisible unicorn emblem, which can be seen here.

Funny. All this time I thought that was a dead bird. It sure doesn't look much like a unicorn.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

JohnBTY
JohnBTY's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it's rather

I think it's rather ridiculous to use a symbol to mark yourself as an Atheist....I mean, symbols represent a positive belief in something; say, a god or gods, and Atheism is the lack of belief in a god or gods. There's no symbol for all people who don't believe in Unicorns, Faeries, Thor & Odin, Spider-Man, etc, so it just seems somewhat redundant to symbolize non-belief in deities.

Personally I'd like to see less symbols in the world, because it's easier for people to rally around a symbol to excuse violent, antisocial behavior (see all religiously motivated conflicts ever, genocides, the nationalist outbreak of the 19th and 20th centuries). Although I'm afraid it's vain idealism to suppose that all, or even most humans will ever stop finding reasons to blow each other up and do something productive with their collective lives.

The lesson of history is that we do not learn the lessons of history.

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
I nominate lolwut man. Is

I nominate lolwut man. Is he even a man? I guess not.  I guess he's a giant pair.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like the pirate fish (see

I like the pirate fish (see my avatar.)  Comes from the Flying Spaghetti Monster stuff.  Invisible unicorns aren't my thing.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
I nominate Richard (avatar

I nominate Richard (avatar <.< )

He's the most anti-good/jesus being ive ever come across... that and he beat me in a baby eating contest >.<

What Would Kharn Do?

Zenrage
Zenrage's picture
User is offlineOffline
And Richard managed to

And Richard managed to crucify himself too.

Personally, I hate the atomic logo. Its just so bland. It looks like something you'd see on those 1950's, government made, school films. 

We need something more dynamic and more energetic. Soemthing atheists can rally behind and scream "COBRA!!!" when they are in the presence of it.  

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe our logo should be a

Maybe our logo should be a cute little Easter Buddy holding a basket full of eggs and a mob of atheists running at him with baseball bats.

I think that would tone down our image some.

holycrap08
holycrap08's picture
User is offlineOffline
I totally agree in that

I totally agree in that it's sort of retarded to put a symbol on something you do NOT believe in.   But, as an ex-christian I have this uncontrallable urge to label and symbolize everything, lol.  (I was well brainwashed--they did a slam up good job on me)

I am seriously considering deciding on one of the symbols and getting a tattoo. (mu-hahahahaha)  My reasoning is that the christians always get those gaudy...ugly...in-your-face christian tattoos...so maybe I should get a conversation piece of my own. lol

"Chlorinating the Gene Pool"

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
holycrap08 wrote: I am

holycrap08 wrote:
I am seriously considering deciding on one of the symbols and getting a tattoo. (mu-hahahahaha) My reasoning is that the christians always get those gaudy...ugly...in-your-face christian tattoos...so maybe I should get a conversation piece of my own. lol

Wait!!! Before you get that tatoo, you better read this letter to the Editor from my local newspaper today about tatoos. TATOOS With reference to your article "Ancient Markings", I would like to draw your attention to Leviticus 19:28: "Do not lacerate your bodies for the dead, and do not tatoo yourselves. I am the Lord." We are so ignorant or so disobedient to the word of the Lord. ENID K. HAGEMAN Getting that tatoo might just land you in the lake of fire.

holycrap08
holycrap08's picture
User is offlineOffline
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!  ALL THE

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!  ALL THE MORE REASON TO GET IT! 

ERRI8013
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote: What's our

Brion wrote:
What's our symbol we use for people to recognize us as Atheists? Christians use T (which makes me hate my name, Trevor), Pagans use the Pentagram, Jewish people use the Star of David, and we've all seen the "RESPECT" bumper sticker on cars with all the different symbols. Is ours just a cool looking "A" or what?

The atheists do not need a symbol, they are not a faith or a soccer team.

Atheist, agnostics and non believers are able to recognize each other without using a symbol, but only listening. 

Zenrage
Zenrage's picture
User is offlineOffline
ERRI8013 wrote: Brion

ERRI8013 wrote:

Brion wrote:

Atheist, agnostics and non believers are able to recognize each other without using a symbol, but only listening.

A symbol != religion. This is iconography, not idolatry.

Nearly every social organization and community has a symbol. There is no reason why we can't have a symbol that connects us as well.  

ERRI8013
User is offlineOffline
Zenrage wrote: ERRI8013

Zenrage wrote:
ERRI8013 wrote:

Brion wrote:

Atheist, agnostics and non believers are able to recognize each other without using a symbol, but only listening.

A symbol != religion. This is iconography, not idolatry.

Nearly every social organization and community has a symbol. There is no reason why we can't have a symbol that connects us as well.  

We are not an organization, why sould we use a symbol? Our symbol is the non-symbol, the a-symbol...

HumanisticJones
HumanisticJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
I still like the out symbol

I still like the out symbol from RichardDawkins.net.  The red A.  Simple and distinct.  Red because its eye-catching, A because its the first letter of atheist.  No special meaning or significance just an icon to use to simply display your lack of belief in un-evidenced crap.

The Regular Expressions of Humanistic Jones: Where one software Engineer will show the world that God is nothing more than an undefined pointer.

holycrap08
holycrap08's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only issue I see with

The only issue I see with Dawkin's red "A" is that it can be misconstrued as the scarlet letter...that being a mark of sin...and as we all know the christians just love ammunition like that.

"Chlorinating the Gene Pool"

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I always thougth the OUT

I always thougth the OUT campaign was supposed to tie into the scarlet letter... can someone clarify this?

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've always liked the Bad

I've always liked the Bad Religion logo, personally.

Coprolal1an
Coprolal1an's picture
User is offlineOffline
I myself use an inverted

I myself use an inverted pentagram. The reasoning for this, is that a traditional upright pentagram is seen by many pagans as this: , with mysticism on top of wisdom/knowledge. By inverting it, I say that Wisdom, knowledge, philosophy, etc, are all superior to mysticism. Plus, it is fun to piss of Christians who think you worship Satan..

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  .... how

.... how about

~AJB~  

, for the most popular atheists ever ! jesus/buddha

not ,  ABJ , most every one thinks that means a blow job .....

Wink 

ERRI8013
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:  

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

.... how about

~AJB~  

, for the most popular atheists ever ! jesus/buddha

not ,  ABJ , most every one thinks that means a blow job .....

Wink 

It is funny, but Buddha is agnostic and do not care about something that you call god or soul.