Sony vs. the Church

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sony vs. the Church

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070706/ap_on_bi_ge/britain_cathedral_sony

Personally, I don't think they owed anyone an apology. I see no reason why they couldn't have used the likeness of a church.

I find it interesting that the Church also wanted them to not only pull the game, but also to make a 'substantial donation'. WTF?

It is a video game, people. No one actually went into the church and shot it up. Sheesh.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ummmm....how come Dan Brown

Ummmm....how come Dan Brown did not have to apologize for all the violence he wrote about that did occur in churches?  Or the movie producers...how come they didn't have to apologize?  Or what about in that last Highlander movie when they start hacking away at one another in a church (where they aren't supposed to be anyway because churches are supposed to be the only place you can't cut off somebody's head)?  Oh yeah!  It is because they are FICTION!!!!  Kinda like video games.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Church of England is

The Church of England is getting help from the Simpsons to provide a more relevant way of teaching children about theology and to give a boost to dwindling congregations.

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20070626/28171_Church_of_England_Recruits_Simpsons_to_Teach_Theology,_Boost_Attendance.htm

Apparently Sony's Marketing team made a critical failure in not making this a Simpson's themed game.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is money not the motive of

Is money not the motive of most churches?  It is of little surprise that they are now trying to wrest it from corporations when their tithes flag so dramatically.  As a professor of torts once said, "You can sue a ham sandwich.  It doesn't mean you'll win anything."

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
This is just plain fucked

This is just plain fucked up.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, it isn't.  Sony f**ked

No, it isn't.  Sony f**ked up by not aksing the CoE for permission to use Manchester Cathedral as a backdrop which they then deemed as inappropriate.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote: No,

The Patrician wrote:

No, it isn't.  Sony f**ked up by not aksing the CoE for permission to use Manchester Cathedral as a backdrop which they then deemed as inappropriate.

What legal right does the CoE have to the image of a building?  I don't know about English common law, but in America, a building of that nature is public domain. 

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whats the name opf the game

Whats the name opf the game lik wouldnt load.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: What legal

Nero wrote:
What legal right does the CoE have to the image of a building? I don't know about English common law, but in America, a building of that nature is public domain.

Not in the UK it isn't. 

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.