The Press Discovers Pat Robertson's Real Influence (Thanks to the Other Monica)

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Press Discovers Pat Robertson's Real Influence (Thanks to the Other Monica)

Monica Goodling on her Regent University homepage: "If I only had two seconds to tell you why I'm here, I'd have to say this: I want to leave the world a better place than I found it. Tough assignment, but, worth a try."

When Monica Goodling's name erupted into the news last week, the mainstream press discovered suddenly that Pat Robertson's Regent University exists. Not only that, the press learned that it has made a deep footprint in George W. Bush's Washington.

Read the rest of the article here.  

Scary stuff. 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: 150 Regent grads

Quote:
150 Regent grads currently working in the Bush administration
WTF?

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Goodling may be out

Quote:
Goodling may be out of a job, but thousands of capable Christian right cadres remain, waging the culture war from inside the White House, federal agencies and Republican congressional offices. Together they will continue to inflame conflicts that were previously unimaginable.

Just fucking great!! Something to look forward to as the end of the world approaches. LOL. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is onlineOnline
That's just lovely. Explains

That's just lovely. Explains a few things at least.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Here's another article about

Here's another article about this on slate.com.

From the article:

Quote:

No, the real concern here is that Goodling and her ilk somehow began to conflate God's work with the president's. Probably not a lesson she learned in law school. The dream of Regent and its counterparts, like Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, is to redress perceived wrongs to Christians, to reclaim the public square, and reassert Christian political authority. And while that may have been a part of the Bush/Rove plan, it was, in the end, only a small part. Their real zeal was for earthly power. And Goodling was left holding the earthly bag.

At the end of the day, Goodling and the other young foot soldiers for God may simply have run afoul of the first rule of politics, codified in Psalm 146: "Put no trust in princes, in mere mortals in whom there is no help."

When will the Christian right wake up and see that the Republicans are using them?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: Here's

MrRage wrote:
Here's another article about this on slate.com. From the article:
Quote:

No, the real concern here is that Goodling and her ilk somehow began to conflate God's work with the president's. Probably not a lesson she learned in law school. The dream of Regent and its counterparts, like Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, is to redress perceived wrongs to Christians, to reclaim the public square, and reassert Christian political authority. And while that may have been a part of the Bush/Rove plan, it was, in the end, only a small part. Their real zeal was for earthly power. And Goodling was left holding the earthly bag.

At the end of the day, Goodling and the other young foot soldiers for God may simply have run afoul of the first rule of politics, codified in Psalm 146: "Put no trust in princes, in mere mortals in whom there is no help."

When will the Christian right wake up and see that the Republicans are using them?

Probably never. Each side thinks they're using the other. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is onlineOnline
And they're both right.

And they're both right.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.