Tell Wal-Mart to stop selling religious violence

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Tell Wal-Mart to stop selling religious violence

This is a letter to them to tell them to stop selling the "Left behind" video game, in which the player attempts to convert people to Christianity, or kill them if they won't convert. This is from the Campaign to Defend the Constitution.

http://ga3.org/campaign/tell_wal_mart/ws867ub995k8kb6?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

SilkyShrew
Rational VIP!
SilkyShrew's picture
User is offlineOffline
Um, I'm thinking they have a

Um, I'm thinking they have a right to sell it if they want. Why campaign against this alone? There's hundreds of violent video games that Wal-mart sells. I don't think this is really a productive campaign ...

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is a difference

There is a difference between video games such as conflictional wars...like WWII and Desert Storm, even Terrorism...but when you have games where it pits one set of poeple against another in a racist or prejudice fashion, it goes beyond normal violence.

A game like "Left Behind" is no different then games where the plot is for white colonists to be sent to africa and capture and trade blacks as slaves. Or worse yet...hunting down the Underground Rail Road. Or for Nazi's to run around and capture or kill Jews. These are the types of games which are a lot worse then your so-called violent games...like Call of Duty or fantasy violent games like "Killzone".

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They have a right to sell

They have a right to sell it, but then we have the right to complain or boycott them. Even though it's from the Campaign to Defend the Constitution, it's not a constitutional issue, it's a consumer complaint issue. Can you imagine the response if Hamas made a video game where you were a suicide bomber killing Jews and Christians? Or the KKK made one spouting their views?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

SilkyShrew
Rational VIP!
SilkyShrew's picture
User is offlineOffline
Most wars have been started

Most wars have been started due to hatred of some sort and the biased positions of the "heros" of such tales is reinforced by the game no matter if it is racist, driven by greed, religious or by some other ingroup/outgroup perspective. We have games based on the current war, and historical ones. I don't really see much difference between some of the fuels for those wars as I see in this. To me, the hatred and propagation of violence towards the social outgroup is still evil, no matter if it is due to this religious violence or placed in the other contexts.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've never been one to try

I've never been one to try and force a store into selling something they chose not to. Or the other way around.
But one thing I've noticed is that the christian right in America sure is boycott happy. And WAL*MART listens to them. SO I can see why someone would want to "counter-ban" the Xtians.
Think of all the things WAL*MART has stopped carrying due to outside pressure.

I don't care enough to boycott this game..... There are WAY crappier games that I'd be happier banning.
Any Barbie game is pretty bad. There are many bad, bad games. If it sucks, people won't buy them.
Example

Voided
User is offlineOffline
At the very least I think it

At the very least I think it might make people think when they see a game on the shelf that is basically telling you to convert people at gun point. Although I still wonder if the anti-christ can win.