Religion associated with Higher crime rates!!

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
Damn you Satan for making

Damn you Satan for making better societies!

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
It appears Ruth Gledhill

It appears

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Well, I guess journals will

Well, I guess journals will publish studies that piss off religious people as long as the facts match up. Funny that.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh look, Cpt_pineapple is

Oh look, Cpt_pineapple is defending islam. That is strange.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote: Oh look,

aiia wrote:
Oh look, Cpt_pineapple is defending islam. That is strange.

What?

That was a shot at a certain someone, and it wasn't defending Islam.

c wat i did thar? eh? eh?

Ah nevermind. 

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Well,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Well, I guess journals will publish studies that piss off religious people as long as the facts match up. Funny that.

I am not really following??

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
RationalSchema

RationalSchema wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I am not really following??

Journalists tend to avoid topics that annoy the religious. He's expressing his surprise that apparently they will post things that annoy the faithful.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Captain's just mad because

Captain's just mad because he doesn't want to admit that the fervor of atheists in the last few years may be contributing to a larger number of these studies being done.

I've noticed over the last few months that he's been defending theism less and less as more studies demonstrate rather conclusively that it's bad.

Now, he's bitching at us about how we've bitched about not being represented.  It would never occur to him that our bitching is contributing to us being better represented.

That's what happens when you're bound and determined to believe what you want, no matter what the evidence says.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Captain's just mad because he doesn't want to admit that the fervor of atheists in the last few years may be contributing to a larger number of these studies being done.

I've noticed over the last few months that he's been defending theism less and less as more studies demonstrate rather conclusively that it's bad.

Now, he's bitching at us about how we've bitched about not being represented. It would never occur to him that our bitching is contributing to us being better represented.

That's what happens when you're bound and determined to believe what you want, no matter what the evidence says.

I was refering to you saying that they won't publish your view that Theism is a mind disorder because you said they don't want to piss of the religious. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, specifically, I was

Well, specifically, I was talking about America, but if more and more of these studies hit the big papers, I'll happily admit that times are changing.

After all, I don't mind admitting that what we're doing is having an impact.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Has anyone actually read

Has anyone actually read the report and know how solid the conclusions are?  I've been reading "How To Lie With Statistics," and I'm beginning an Introduction To Statistics course at WSU, and one thing that I've already learned is that there is a difference between showing a genuine correlation (...which is tricky enough, all by itself...) and demonstrating an actual causal relationship between any two events.  Does anyone have anything on this?

Conor

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"Faith does not fear reason."--Pope Pius XII

"But it should!"--Me

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
You bring up good points.

You bring up good points. The name of the journal is in the article. The article was peer reviewed by people who are trained in stats (I would imagine). Always a good idea to review it yourself.

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conor Wilson wrote: Has

Conor Wilson wrote:

Has anyone actually read the report and know how solid the conclusions are?  I've been reading "How To Lie With Statistics," and I'm beginning an Introduction To Statistics course at WSU, and one thing that I've already learned is that there is a difference between showing a genuine correlation (...which is tricky enough, all by itself...) and demonstrating an actual causal relationship between any two events.  Does anyone have anything on this?

Conor

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"Faith does not fear reason."--Pope Pius XII

"But it should!"--Me

Here is a link to the study. It looks like they used Pearson Correlations. They didn't due any regression equations due to multicolinearity. I think the study is not suggesting that religion leads or causes crime. This just debunks the notion that evolution has caused social strife and crime.

http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html

Sidenote, it is actually pretty easy to have something correlate. Whether it is highly significant or important is the tough question. The importance of this study is that there is no positive correlation between evolution beliefs and crime.

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ha yeah I remember seeing

Ha yeah I remember seeing this article before....fantastic. Makes you wanna say SUCK ON THAT theists....make me wanna anyways.

Quote:
Religion at BEST - is like a lift in your shoe. If you need it for a while, and it makes you walk straight and feel better - fine. But you don't need it forever, or you can become permanently disabled.

---George Carlin---

Custador (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I think this is probably an

I think this is probably an ice-cream murders statistic: as sales of ice-cream increase, murder rates increase - this is actually true. The causal third factor is hot weather. I think there is a third variable here, in this case poor education. These people are badly educated and so poor, which makes them both more likely to turn to God and to commit crimes.

xxAnonymouSxx (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Well, there is a third

Well, there is a third factor - The poor and socially set-aside are both more prone to crime and more likely to join a religion.

Still, it invalidates the whole concept of religious people holding moral superiority over non-believers, which is a welcome setback to pro-theists rampages across the world.