Jesus Camp

Drahyden
Drahyden's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus Camp

I'm sorry if there was a post about this before, but, i couldn't find it. I saw the complete movie yesturday and i was completely aoutraged, it reminded me about when i went to one of thos Jesus camps, the brain washing is amazing, I got sick and disgusted, and angry, very very angry. I mean, what type of children they are raising. I feel discusted. And im going to do soimething about it.

My Body Is My Temple, My Bain Is My Soul, Science My Creed, Reality My God

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am glad someone has

I am glad someone has decided to stand up and declare they will fight for an end to this insanity.

What do you intend to do? 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

stevedave83
stevedave83's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've seen this documentary

I've seen this documentary and it is absolutely frightening.

I attended a group viewing of this movie organized by a good friend of mine who is a practicing Buddhist with a Bachelor's degree in psychology and a Master's (and partially completed Ph.D.) in religion.  He's also one of the most down-to-earth and likeable people I've ever met.  The group included an atheist (myself), a non-demoninational xian, a seventh day adventist and a presbyterian.  Quite an interesting group.  The general conensus was that these people need to be stopped.  The home school sequence really bugged me.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with this movie, it should be required viewing for all atheists...hell, probably for all xians as well.  It is a documentary about a pentacostal summer camp for kids that involves (among other things) organizing an abortion protest in fromnt of a government building.  Some of the kids in the camp (and in the protest) are as young as five and six years old. 

You can't rationally argue out something that was not rationally argued in.

HumanisticJones
HumanisticJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure how I ended up

I'm not sure how I ended up managing to watch this whole thing... or how my partner could watch it twice.  I found myself actually physically ill on a regular basis throughout the film.  I think one of the biggest things that stood out to me was the father walking in while the campers were telling ghost stories and complaining "Ghost stories are good and all, but I don't really see how they give glory to Him."  For the love of Athe, even the most fundie camp leaders I knew as a child thought that all camps needed at least one kid scared shitless because of a flashlight ghost story.

All in all a sickening experience, and I for one am glad they shut down.

The Regular Expressions of Humanistic Jones: Where one software Engineer will show the world that God is nothing more than an undefined pointer.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus Camp doesn't suprise

Jesus Camp doesn't suprise me. Most Xians want their kids to be on "fire" for Jesus.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw the documentary a

I saw the documentary a while ago.  If I remember correctly, that camp was actually closed down. 

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is there a chance of someone

Is there a chance of someone linking to somewhere where I can see the documentary online?

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Waiting for Oblivion

Waiting for Oblivion wrote:
Is there a chance of someone linking to somewhere where I can see the documentary online?
I can't find any on youtube. They must have been pulled.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

ThaiBoxerShorts
ThaiBoxerShorts's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I saw the

pariahjane wrote:
I saw the documentary a while ago. If I remember correctly, that camp was actually closed down.

Indeed it was, largely because of the movie, and that's a good thing.  But there are still more of them out there.

One moment that stuck with me from the film was when the adults praised one of the children for being "very obedient."  The language alone was frightening.  It's as if they're training their own children to be slaves...  And I suspect they're doing it on purpose.