Church of England

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Church of England

I just had a funny thought, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The head of the church of England is currently the Queen.  After her it will be Prince Charles and after that Prince William etc.  I was just thinking that sooner or later, the ruling monarch of England is not going to be a Christian.  I know it's a long shot, being that children tend to follow the religion of their parents, but EVENTUALLY it surely has to happen.

I would find it very very amusing if the head of this church was (hopefully) an Atheist, or the less useful but even more comedy option, a Satanist.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol! That's a brilliant

Lol! That's a brilliant thought.
I think even better than an atheist would be an obscure eastern or tribal religion!
Unfortunately, ever since the civil war I think there's been a law that
the monarch must be a protestant. However, I think that in this liberal age such laws would be very open to change.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
So if the law stood, and the

So if the law stood, and the monarch in question refused to convert to be a protestant, does that mean the crown would have to skip a generation? Keeping in mind the likeliness that the next generation would potentially have the same obscure tribal beliefs.... then would they have to go to an entirely different family?

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
phooney wrote:

phooney wrote:
So if the law stood, and the monarch in question refused to convert to be a protestant, does that mean the crown would have to skip a generation? Keeping in mind the likeliness that the next generation would potentially have the same obscure tribal beliefs.... then would they have to go to an entirely different family?

It doesn't skip a generation, it goes to another child of the same generation that in the direct line.

Who is in line currently:

Prince Charles
Prince William
Prince Harry
Prince Andrew
Princess Beatrice
Princess Eugenie
Prince Edward
Lady Louise Windsor
Princess Anne
Peter Phillips, son of Princess Anne
Zara Phillips, daughter of Princess Anne

Succession to the British Throne has generally been according to the rules of male-preference primogeniture. In other words, an individual's male children are preferred over his or her female children, and an older child is preferred over a younger child of the same gender, with children representing their deceased ancestors.

Succession in the United Kingdom is governed now by the Act of Union 1800, which restates the provisions of the Act of Settlement 1701 and the Bill of Rights (1689).

The rules of primogeniture apply, but those who are not legitimate descendants of Sophia, Electress of Hanover, those who have ever been Roman Catholics, or who have married Roman Catholics are disbarred from succeeding to the Crown.

So it looks like you can't be or ever have been Catholic (or even married a Catholic), but it doesn't say anything about Atheist!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alright!  So we've got an

Alright!  So we've got an 'in' !!