Specific kind of christianity represented?

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
Specific kind of christianity represented?

Before I delve into trying to answer questions various people here have been asking, I'd like to know if there's currently anyone actively representing where I'd be coming from. (I tend to spread myself thin...) I noticed already that many of the things I'd argue against -that other christians hold- seem to be up as assumed notions for the debates. I assume thats because you/we are dealing with majority opinion here. Well, on to what I've got.

I'd like to know if there are any active christian posters who refute the modern notions of heaven, hell, souls, and a Jesus that serves as a facet of some schizophrenic god.  I'm happy to work with biblical text for those, even if only to provide you  ammunition against the christians pushing torture and how special they are Smiling
Historical questions/dialogue I can do a little with. I'm no expert. I actually have some questions of my own from things I've seen claimed here.(I'd love to grab that book I imagine some of it may be in, but I'm not doing the challenge hehe) I do have a little knowledge from my own study and the people I've studied under.
Logical and philosophical questions about God are in abundance here, and I can do those. Most of them start from arguments of ignorance on the believers part, though, and follow up with technicalities leading further away from reality.

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
My interest arose from two

My interest arose from two fronts. One is that most of the posters here seem the semantic, word-dueling sorts great for helping someone check for technicalities, logical issues, or errors(not to mention thick skin)

My second interest is from need for more humanistic and modern philosophical material. I did a paper last year for a seminary college using  Ayn Rand to drive home key points for my beliefs, for example. I need more!  The 'why won't god heal amputees' angle leaves much to be desired.

I've no intentions  of proving  God exists to anyone. Thats neither my job nor inclination. I am into proving what is or is not a part of religions, mostly my own. An outsider's perspective on if interactions between supposed figures in my little cosmology are irrational and why can be a great help.

Mike Gravel for president!

mouse
User is offlineOffline
is there anything in your

is there anything in your belief system that is particularly christian/ can you define god?

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually define what a god

Actually define what a god is or just point to which is mine? Smiling I would, like the rest of the horde, claim that my understanding of the bible was correct(until I'm proven wrong again) and all my assertions came from it.

As a heretic, its hard to make statements about where I'm particularly christian.

mouse
User is offlineOffline
whatever god means to

whatever god means to you.

in what ways do you identify with christianity? 

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I  say  god I'll be

When I  say  god I'll be meaning: 1, Whatever someone dedicates their life to(perhaps not as useful here). 2,  Some sort of very impressive consciousness or entity...let's say of mythical proportion. 3, The god of the bible, Yahweh since the name's common here.

I identify with what I see in the early church in the bible, what I know of the historical church that followed soon after, and what was crushed over and over again by the bigger christian groups until...I think the last official christian execution of a unitarian was in the 1670's. I used to be more mainstream but was convinced of their errors and went digging, wound up affiliated with a small group descended from the Anabaptist strain. I was so impressed with what I found and had enough success in studying that I decided to jump into a seminary school they run.

Since I started asking questions, I haven't got on well with church  establishment. Christian  websites tend to ban me. You think they hate you guys... :p

Did you want me to take the meaning of God further or is that good?

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Avecrien wrote: Since I

Avecrien wrote:

Since I started asking questions, I haven't got on well with church establishment. Christian websites tend to ban me. You think they hate you guys... Sticking out tongue

Seminary college?  HHmmm. Theist badge?

But then again, getting banned from a xian website scores points with me.  Smile  We'll wait and see unless you want one.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

mouse
User is offlineOffline
Avecrien wrote: Did you

Avecrien wrote:

well, as long as no one else is replying in this thread, then sure, please proceed. if you want we can make it a new thread? 

Ethics and aesthetics are one
-Wittgenstein

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Avecrien wrote: I'd like to

Avecrien wrote:
I'd like to know if there are any active christian posters who refute the modern notions of heaven, hell, souls, and a Jesus that serves as a facet of some schizophrenic god. I'm happy to work with biblical text for those, even if only to provide you ammunition against the christians pushing torture and how special they are

I'd actually like to know what the "modern notions" are.  I don't even know if I know what they are since I've never heard it referred to that way. 

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Avecrien wrote: When I

Avecrien wrote:

When I say god I'll be meaning: 1, Whatever someone dedicates their life to(perhaps not as useful here). 2, Some sort of very impressive consciousness or entity...let's say of mythical proportion. 3, The god of the bible, Yahweh since the name's common here.

I identify with what I see in the early church in the bible, what I know of the historical church that followed soon after, and what was crushed over and over again by the bigger christian groups until...I think the last official christian execution of a unitarian was in the 1670's. I used to be more mainstream but was convinced of their errors and went digging, wound up affiliated with a small group descended from the Anabaptist strain. I was so impressed with what I found and had enough success in studying that I decided to jump into a seminary school they run.

Since I started asking questions, I haven't got on well with church establishment. Christian websites tend to ban me. You think they hate you guys... Sticking out tongue

Hmmm...

Sounds like you believe there is a god, am I right? 

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
silly people, always looking

silly people, always looking to label people instead of just taking them as human beings.

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to believe in a god

I have to believe in a god to have said what I have in this thread Smiling I don't believe in magical ghosts in people's bodies that float off when they die or ethereal realms of ecstasy or torture. I believe that any existing god has to be a 'nuts and bolts' thing in some sense, and that the biblical god is much more of that then currently represented. I think that belief in a god and one's outlook on reality itself must be a part of rational thought...am I trying to say something akin to irrational beliefs must still be subject to rational understanding? I'm rushing myself right now. Will be a fun subject to talk more on later.

I don't mind a theist badge. Christian groups and websites don't like me and my peers because you crush their god outside of their holy book. I crush their god from inside their book Sticking out tongue I appreciate the work many various atheist groups do to promote critical and free thinking. I am a little disappointed with some of the choice ammunition here, but I do know how  effective they are with uneducated christians(from listening to the interventions on myspace).

By modern notions I could point out the differences between something like Sheol, the hebrew land of the dead or afterlife in the OT, and Hell as you hear it now. I'd argue use of the word hades as a synonym for sheol. But certain  bibles and teachers like to translate what they want into the bible. Bible tells me everyone who dies goes to the same 'place,' and in that place they don't think, know, act, plan, or do anything. They turn to dust and 'cease to be.' Thats why resurrection was a big deal instead of reincarnation or simply being happy with whatever spiritual dimension your essence relocated to.

I think  I found this site on youtube while recoiling from  some horrific  church's broadcast of their self written and performed song  about  how god  hates the world and everybody. As I said,  I  don't try to  prove god  exists. I  try to study and learn or teach what the bible actually says.
  I came here looking for good material on humanism, logical arguments against what I'm against, and to get some doubt and criticism to improve myself. I like to keep  my peers on  their toes. I need to know my Ayn Rand and the medical research that shows how electrodes in a human brain can force a subject to undergo  a  'spiritual' experience.  We need  this sort of perspective.

Ack! I'm late. Hope the above doesn't need edits.