What is the Most Irrational Story in the Bible?
I would like to hear opinions on what the absolutely MOST irrational story in the Bible is.
I'm going to nominate Noah's Ark.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060709124818AAdbr4o http://www.skepticreport.com/creationism/noahark.htm http://www.ofgodandlogic.com/morality/noah/long.htm http://home.comcast.net/~fsteiger/ark.htm http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=13676
My favorite top 5 reasons why the Noah's Ark story is impossible:
1. ALL of the animals? Seriously? I'm under the impression Noah lived in the Middle East. Are we to believe that he supernaturallly travelled the entire globe to get every species in existence? Did ALL species live in the Middle East? There is NO freaking way one dude and a few helpers are going to collect all the species of animals on the Earth. How about insects? Aren't there over a million types of beetles?
6:19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
6:20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.
How do you tell male insects from female insects?
2. Was the ark big enough for that? Noah and 4 or 5 helpers are going to build a ship bigger than an aircraft carrier, with wood? And bigger than an aircraft carrier is just what the Bible says.
I would think such a boat would need to be as big or bigger than 100 aircraft carriers to hold a pair of ALL species of animal on the planet.
3. It killed everyone? The Bible is 6000 years old? How did native Americans get here after Noah? Mormonism?
4. The volume of water? We're talking a lot of F'ing water. And even after the rain stopped, you would have to have magical reclamation of the water. Our Earth system has a finite amount of water, and to cover Mount Everest, you'd need to cover the entire earth with 5 more miles high of water. How did Noah and all those animals survive amidst such a dearth of oxygen 5 miles up in the atmosphere?
5. Why does God need to do SOME things naturally and other things supernaturally?
It needs to rain 40 days and 40 nights to NATURALLY create floods, but then he has to reclaim the waters SUPERNATURALLY.
He has to have Noah get all the animals on Earth NATURALLY, but then he has to create some sort of SUPERNATURAL method for Noah to get animals in corners of the globe ie Antarctica for which there is no access to Noah.
God has supernatural powers. Why a flood? As I said before, just smite everyone, make them collapse dead, and make their bodies evaporate; leaving only Noah and his incestuous family.
And if you have to do a flood, why not supernaturally build the boat, transport the animals, and allow the water to spontaneously rise up rather than by rain storm?
If God has supernatural abilities, he's not using them wisely.
Noah's flood is by far the most ridiculous story in the Bible. If you feel you know any other that can compete, please contest me.
Add to my reasons why Noah's flood is false if you wish, or link me to prior discussions on this forum, for which I'm sure there are some.
REDUCTIO AD ABSURDUM.