Editing the Bible

MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Editing the Bible

What do you think of editions of the Bible where they change the actual meeting of what it says? Not talking about editing errors or where they try to correct it to the actual original meaning, I'm talking about where they change the bad or absurd things in order to make it more palatable - like certain modern English versions (I hear fundies hate these, too.) What does the Bible itself have to say about those who would add to or subtract from it?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
Posts: 7
Joined: 2006-11-14
User is offlineOffline
I think they could edit it,

I think they could edit it, and it could do them some good. Maybe if their favorite invisible man spoke out against segregation, there might not have as much of it.

But I could be wrong.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Well, yeah, it might be

Well, yeah, it might be better but it wouldn't be honest! Laughing out loud


Voided
Posts: 1195
Joined: 2006-02-20
User is offlineOffline
I'm pretty sure it says

I'm pretty sure it says somewhere they can't add or subtract or change it in any way.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
I think it says if you add

I think it says if you add to it God will add the plagues described in the Bible to you, and if you subtract from it, God will subtract your name from the book of life (which means you will go to Hell!)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Voided
Posts: 1195
Joined: 2006-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Wow, that really screws over

Wow, that really screws over a lot of people...


Angelic_Atheist
Silver Member
Angelic_Atheist's picture
Posts: 264
Joined: 2006-04-06
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I think it

MattShizzle wrote:
I think it says if you add to it God will add the plagues described in the Bible to you, and if you subtract from it, God will subtract your name from the book of life (which means you will go to Hell!)

OOOO Im feeling all giddy... I know there is more

NLT
Pro 30:6 Do not add to his words, or he may rebuke you, and you will be found a liar.

I think this only refers to the book of Revelation.
Rev 22:18 And I solemnly declare to everyone who hears the prophetic words of this book: If anyone adds anything to what is written here, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book.
Rev 22:19 And if anyone removes any of the words of this prophetic book, God will remove that person's share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book.

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Thank you for the exact

Thank you for the exact words. So do Christians have an answer?


leroy
leroy's picture
Posts: 19
Joined: 2006-11-29
User is offlineOffline
Mattshizzle wrote: What do

Mattshizzle wrote:

What do you think of editions of the Bible where they change the actual meeting of what it says? Not talking about editing errors or where they try to correct it to the actual original meaning, I'm talking about where they change the bad or absurd things in order to make it more palatable - like certain modern English versions (I hear fundies hate these, too.) What does the Bible itself have to say about those who would add to or subtract from it?

Hi Mattshizzle,
Personally the editions of the bible that have changed the actual meaning are good for door stops or holding up the corner of your sofa and not much more.


Insidium Profundis
Posts: 295
Joined: 2006-10-04
User is offlineOffline
Have you guys seen the

Have you guys seen the episode of Firefly in which River edits Shepherd Book's Bible? It's hilarious and endearing.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.


GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
Posts: 461
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
Insidium Profundis

Insidium Profundis wrote:
Have you guys seen the episode of Firefly in which River edits Shepherd Book's Bible? It's hilarious and endearing.

Oh gosh, I LOVE that series! River is awesome, and that scene was great. She was so innocent about it too. Genius child "corrects" the bible. Preacher tries not to yell at her. LOL


Strafio
Strafio's picture
Posts: 1346
Joined: 2006-09-11
User is offlineOffline
Angelic_Atheist

Angelic_Atheist wrote:
[
NLT
Pro 30:6 Do not add to his words, or he may rebuke you, and you will be found a liar.

I think this only refers to the book of Revelation.
Rev 22:18 And I solemnly declare to everyone who hears the prophetic words of this book: If anyone adds anything to what is written here, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book.
Rev 22:19 And if anyone removes any of the words of this prophetic book, God will remove that person's share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book.

MattShizzle wrote:
Thank you for the exact words. So do Christians have an answer?

Sure. Re-write these lines first and then the rest is legal! Eye-wink
Wiping Revelations should be easy to excuse:
"Meh! It's only the ramblings of John on mushrooms anyway..."
I remember when the Vatican made an official statement claiming that Revelations and Genesis weren't supposed to be taken literally.

Once they start changing things, they do have to give up the belief that the Bible is the inerrent, absolute and unique truth.


Strafio
Strafio's picture
Posts: 1346
Joined: 2006-09-11
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat wrote:Insidium

GlamourKat wrote:
Insidium Profundis wrote:
Have you guys seen the episode of Firefly in which River edits Shepherd Book's Bible? It's hilarious and endearing.

Oh gosh, I LOVE that series! River is awesome, and that scene was great. She was so innocent about it too. Genius child "corrects" the bible. Preacher tries not to yell at her. LOL


Aww... common! You can't accuse Shepherd of being a fundy, even when he talks about that 'very special place'... Eye-wink