Heaven

Xeron
User is offlineOffline
Heaven

So i`d like to know your oppinions . What do you think off the x-tian heaven? the muslim heaven? nirvana maybe?

Or what`s your ideea of heaven , how do you imagine it? how do you want it to be? what does it mean?

Mainly aimed at theists but i`d love some feedback from atheists aswell

personaly i`d love a party in Valhalla , but i wouldn`t wanna live there forever (i don`t think i`d want to live anywhere forever for that matter) 

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I don't to be honest.

Well, I don't to be honest.

HC Grindon
High Level DonorModerator
User is offlineOffline
Heaven: a world without

Heaven: a world without religion.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
The thought of living

The thought of living forever, even in heaven, holds no appeal to me.

I much prefer the concept of non-existence. 

Proper Gander
Proper Gander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Xeron wrote: personaly i`d

Xeron wrote:
personaly i`d love a party in Valhalla , but i wouldn`t wanna live there forever (i don`t think i`d want to live anywhere forever for that matter)

Well, if you do go to Valhall you won't be there for ever at least. You would finally die when ragnarök happens, so with that in thought, it may be just for you. (A slight downside is that you'll have to die as a warrior, but it's just to pick a fight when you're 83 and you're all set.)

I agree that Valhall would be cool though. Freja would definitely be way better than the christian greybeard. I'm not so big on actually trying to remove myself from the world either, so no Nirvana for me. I don't know much about any other "heaven" (the islamic one would be like the christian heaven except with Indonese people instead of Americans, right?), so I can't really comment on those. But if I could make my own, it would be possible to do anything (except onto others if they don't consent), and just exist like that until you decide it's time for you to stop existing. If I made my own religion, it would've had a heaven like that.

"Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There's too much fraternizing with the enemy."

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
My personal idea of heaven

My personal idea of heaven would be something akin to Carroll's Wonderland.

Girl Dancing In...
Girl Dancing In Orbit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heaven = doing what I want,

Heaven = doing what I want, when I want, where I want.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I like the FSM/Pastafarian

I like the FSM/Pastafarian version - a beer volcano and stripper factory.

The Moslem one is almost as bad as the Christian one - 72 Virgins? Do women get virgin males? I'd rather have sluts and 72 women is way more than I can handle. And what if you truly are in love with someone? Wouldn't you rather be with her than with 72 strange women?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Larty
Larty's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't want to go to

I don't want to go to heaven Sad. I want to live forever, but not in heaven. I want to drink some elixir of life and live in the universe as long as protons are still stable.

Most Atheists here actually LIKE the idea of disappearing forever after dying. I can't understand why. I would rather go to heaven than just disappear forever. I just don't see the appeal. Atleast it's much more appealing than 72 virgins. 

Trust and believe in no god, but trust and believe in yourself.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would prefer our lives

I would prefer our lives were a bit longer and I'm all for a "heaven" in so much as that means a world without all the disease and pain here - however, forever?  I'd probably want to kill myself after a few thousand years.  Would I go to hell then?

I suppose one of those 72 randomly assigned virgins could rock your world but how many people have you hooked up with here?  Multiply that by infinity - even if you're into that, they're only virgins once. 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Xeron wrote: So i`d

Xeron wrote:

So i`d like to know your oppinions . What do you think off the x-tian heaven? the muslim heaven? nirvana maybe?

Or what`s your ideea of heaven , how do you imagine it? how do you want it to be? what does it mean?

Mainly aimed at theists but i`d love some feedback from atheists aswell

I don't know if heaven exists or not.  It's one of the many ideas I've struggled with since I was a kid.  The idea of being conscious without end is very counter intuitive, even to a child, so I always asked my parents/church leaders how something could be anything forever, let alone perfect.  I of course never got any straight answers, so the question still stands.  

I also wondered what exactly we would be doing up there for "all of" eternity (sort of a bad way to put it I guess), and the most common response was that we would worship God perpetually.  I couldn't even sit still in church for one hour, so the idea of a neverending church service sort of made me bristle back then.  Still does, honestly.  

Like I said, for all I know we'll just rot in the ground when we die, but I hope there's more than that.  My ideal heaven would be this:  to be reunited with all the people I wronged or who wronged me or that I could just never get along with on earth.  We would presumably be in some kind of perfected state (Hey, why stop at mere consciousness after death?  Go hog wild), so we would be able to talk out our past problems without the interference of ego or the general stress and anxiety of being alive.  We would be able to understand one another for the first time.  

Then everything would painlessly and blissfully fade to black, and we would no longer be conscious, and we would no longer have any memory of ever having existed - because I think that would be dreadful.   

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
Heaven is a song by Warrant

Heaven is a song by Warrant that I still enjoy but used to be quite fond of.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote: I

shelleymtjoy wrote:

I suppose one of those 72 randomly assigned virgins could rock your world but how many people have you hooked up with here?  Multiply that by infinity - even if you're into that, they're only virgins once. 

"Zero" multiplied by infinity is still zero. :cry:

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
Why can't I get 72 people

Why can't I get 72 people who actually know what the fuck they are doing?

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: "Zero"

MattShizzle wrote:

"Zero" multiplied by infinity is still zero. :cry:

The women have to get their 72 virgins too... congratulations, you'll be a sex slave for eternity. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
But I don't want to spend

But I don't want to spend eternity being raped by some female suicide bomber! Sad

Besides, I don't want to share a woman with 71 other guys.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah forget sloppy

yeah forget sloppy seconds.....sloppy 71's......eeeewww lol