26 most common climate myths and misconceptions debunked.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
26 most common climate myths and misconceptions debunked.

From NewScientist,
Climate Change: A guide for the perplexed.

17:00 16 May 2007
NewScientist.com news service
Michael Le Page

Our planet's climate is anything but simple. All kinds of factors influence it, from massive events on the Sun to the growth of microscopic creatures in the oceans, and there are subtle interactions between many of these factors.

Yet despite all the complexities, a firm and ever-growing body of evidence points to a clear picture: the world is warming, this warming is due to human activity increasing levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, and if emissions continue unabated the warming will too, with increasingly serious consequences.

Yes, there are still big uncertainties in some predictions, but these swing both ways. For example, the response of clouds could slow the warming or speed it up.

With so much at stake, it is right that climate science is subjected to the most intense scrutiny. What does not help is for the real issues to be muddied by discredited arguments or wild theories.

So for those who are not sure what to believe, here is our round-up of the 26 most common climate myths and misconceptions.

There is also a guide to assessing the evidence. In the articles we've included lots of links to primary research and major reports for those who want to follow through to the original sources.

Human CO2 emissions are too tiny to matter

We can't do anything about climate change

The 'hockey stick' graph has been proven wrong

Chaotic systems are not predictable

We can't trust computer models of climate

They predicted global cooling in the 1970s

It's been far warmer in the past, what's the big deal?

It's too cold where I live - warming will be great

Global warming is down to the Sun, not humans

It’s all down to cosmic rays

CO2 isn't the most important greenhouse gas

The lower atmosphere is cooling, not warming

Antarctica is getting cooler, not warmer, disproving global warming

The oceans are cooling

The cooling after 1940 shows CO2 does not cause warming

It was warmer during the Medieval period, with vineyards in England

We are simply recovering from the Little Ice Age

Warming will cause an ice age in Europe

Ice cores show CO2 increases lag behind temperature rises, disproving the link to global warming

Ice cores show CO2 rising as temperatures fell

Mars and Pluto are warming too

Many leading scientists question climate change

It's all a conspiracy

Hurricane Katrina was caused by global warming

Higher CO2 levels will boost plant growth and food production

Polar bear numbers are increasing

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
The thing that pisses me

The thing that pisses me off the most about global warming is that not only do we have to deal with politicians, manufacturers, the auto industry, the oil industry, and other generally unscrupulous entities that don't give a shit about global warming as long as their pockets are properly lined, we also have to deal with the stupid, stupid theists who say things like, "Global warming can't be real, because the bible says the world's going to end when Jesus comes back, so we can't possibly destroy the planet."

UGGGGHH!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: "Global

Hambydammit wrote:

"Global warming can't be real, because the bible says the world's going to end when Jesus comes back, so we can't possibly destroy the planet."

So, let's see if I understand this correctly.

We don't need to worry about global warming destroying the planet because jesus is going to destroy it first?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Heinous Berzerker
Heinous Berzerker's picture
User is offlineOffline
One thing that I never see

One thing that I never see mentioned about global warming, something that I believe has never been brought up, but to me makes a lot of sense, is the possibility that removing all of the oil from the earth has at least a little to do with global warming. It has to be there for some purpose, possibly to cool the earth just as engine oil cools your engine. Of course, there is still a lot of oil left underground, but can anyone even imagine what percentage has been removed since the beginning of the 20th century?

Additionally, as populations continue to move into once uninhabitable areas, like Phoenix, AZ, they continue to deplete natural aquifers, rivers, and underground water resources. There are some aquifers in the Middle East and the Eastern US that are so depleted that  what little water remaining in them is almost unusable due to salt and mineral concentrations. Without getting too technical, freshwater depletion is a very real concern in a lot of areas, and gigantic water reservoirs, just like oil reserves, are there for a reason that people seem to be overlooking.

"Who, like some evil Atlas, turned the world upside down upon their shoulders, and made shams and delusions into absolute truths, and absolute truths into inviolate heresy?" Elliot Merrick, True North (this may be a misquote, but is close, I don't have th

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Water reserve depletion

Water reserve depletion isn't a hot button issue, because it doesn't affect the US or the Westernized nations as of now.

Still, it IS a relatively easy fix with desalinazation plants run by tidal force. It's already being done in Japan and several other countries with reverse osmosis membranes (hey, I make those Eye-wink). Inland communities are in a bit more of a bind, but I do think it is managable with the right technologies.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.