Da Vinci Code? Shocking?

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
Da Vinci Code? Shocking?

Briefly, I wanted to express my lack of shock with the film "The Da Vinci Code." I did not even read the book.

1. The theories in the Da Vinci Code have pretty much been debunked. It's proven that the records for the Priory of the Sion were forgeries and that such a group probably never existed. Pierre Plantard planted documents in the French National Library.

2. Even if Jesus had kids, WHO CARES? Do they have special powers? No. So why would anyone give a F***?

3. I laugh at modern Christians who find the story so shocking and destructive to their religion, as though the idea Jesus wasn't a virgin shattered their faith into smithereens. How about the idea that Jesus NEVER EXISTED? I'll grant that the movie was entertaining, but the fiction contained in the movie -- passed off as non-fiction -- was patently ridiculous. It was like Dan Brown was attempting to bring more rationalism to an ALREADY irrational idea -- but he actually did worse by making it even MORE irrational. Like adding fuel to the fire.

4. I've never read the book, nor will I ever. The faith of some persons whose faith was shattered by "The Da Vinci Code" have undoubtedly had their "world was shaken to its foundations." I can only hope that rational study of the historicity of Jesus vaporizes the rubble of those foundations into nothingness.

The Gnostics did NOT believe in a historical Jesus, so HOW could "The Da Vinci Code" make any F'ing sense at all? The Nag Hammadi Library and the Dead Sea Scrolls contain the texts that served as a basis for "The Da Vinci Code." They were all Gnostic. To think that "Mary Magdelene" (who is fictional too) snuck off to France after Jesus' death is preposterous.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I read the book and it was

I read the book and it was a decent mystery novel. I enjoyed it.

The important word in the prior paragraph NOVEL. That means it is fiction. It's not even a "historical novel" which is a book based on actual events with fictionalized details.

It's totally beyond me why the xians got all up in arms about it. How can you debunk FICTION? There's nothing to debunk.

It's entertaining to think that so many people got so terribly upset over a book that advertised itself as fiction in the first place.

Are these people so insecure in their beliefs that they are afraid to read fiction?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

never mind....

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote:

Susan wrote:

I read the book and it was a decent mystery novel. I enjoyed it.

The important word in the prior paragraph NOVEL. That means it is fiction. It's not even a "historical novel" which is a book based on actual events with fictionalized details.

It's totally beyond me why the xians got all up in arms about it. How can you debunk FICTION? There's nothing to debunk.

It's entertaining to think that so many people got so terribly upset over a book that advertised itself as fiction in the first place.

Are these people so insecure in their beliefs that they are afraid to read fiction?

Yep, they are so insecure that they cant even consider that their holy book might be fiction.

Which brings me to the "recycle" campain. We rightfully bitch about people condemning Harry Potter books because they "promote witchcraft". I support the making of the Da Vinci Code, not because I believe that garbage, but because human nature says people disire to express themselves.

We do need to make it clear in doing this "recycle" thing that no one should ever suggest using force to take property from our neibhors simply because we dont buy the message. The only thing this "recycle" thing is ment to do is to show other atheists that it is ok not to believe and to suggest to believers that they dont really need that book to live a happy moral life.

The Da Vinci Code most people would agree is complete utter fiction and nothing more. I think Christians who reject it as any form of fact need to take that same logic and aim it at the Bible itself.

Ask yourself, "If the magic in the Da Vinci Code doesnt make sense how would any of the outragious fantastic claims in the Bible be any different?"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: It's totally

Susan wrote:

This guy thinks he debunked fiction.

http://www.tektonics.org/davincicrude.htm

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here lies the

Here lies the problem: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Da_Vinci_Code

"The book opens with the claim by Dan Brown that "all descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents [...] and secret rituals in this novel are accurate"; but this claim is disputed by almost all academic scholars in the fields the book discusses."

Brown passes at least *some* of his book as fact, and the ambiguity leaves the reader wondering what's fact and what's fiction.

believerster
believerster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Like Brown cares if people

Like Brown cares if people believe it or not, he must be loaded now!  Passing it off as reality just seems like a good idea to drain more money from gullible people.

And in regards to the film, it was just horrible in terms of script and direction.

I'll be auditioning Gods in my office on monday morning. - Aesop Rock

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
Brown wrote the book to

Brown wrote the book to make money.  On that note, I say "Bravo, Sir."

Writing that "FACT" statement at the front of the book probably boosted the sales of the book.  That's all that matters, since he was writing fiction. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is onlineOnline
I see no difference between

I see no difference between the code and the bible. Both fiction. Both believed. Both wrong.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.