Destruction of Jerusalem

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Destruction of Jerusalem

I was discussing one of Daniel's prophecies with Jehovah's witnesses, it is the one in Daniel chapter 4, interpreting Nebuchadnezzar's dream of a tree. They claim that this prophecy, beginning with the destruction of Jerusalem 607 BCE, culminates in the establishment of God's kingdom at the hands of Jesus in heaven in 1914. That meant casting out the devil, who fell to earth and caused world war one, etc.

Then I went to check out the history of Babylon to see what was up with this. It seems that secular historians date the destruction of Jerusalem to 587 BCE, which of course throws off their timeline. So I try to find where JW get this year of 607 BCE, and I come across this site:

http://www.jehovahsjudgment.co.uk/607/default.html

I find two quotes on this site to be particularly revealing of what is going on

"Jehovah's Witnesses, on the other hand, believe something the secular historians do not. We believe the Bible is the inspired and inerrant word of God, so we take the Bible's prophecies into account when calculating ancient chronology."

"So, Jehovah's Witnesses will not accept secular chronology when it contradicts the Bible."

Is it even possible to be more intellectually dishonest than this? I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the crap most christians put forth, but I mean, what the hell? I guess the lesson is: never ever trust anything they say... not even the small things that you might think they wouldn't deliberately lie about since one can check those quite easily.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
The reason why there is such

The reason why there is such strong support from xtians for Israel is indeed to fulfill their apocalyptic wet dream.  Only with the return of the full land of Israel and the destruction of it will Jesus finally come back to earth and all those Jerry Falwell followers will miraculously leave their bodies behind and fly to the sky. People really believe this shit.  And Israel's zionists are exploiting this through their lobby here in the states. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.