Touching base

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Touching base

How are you guys? Slovakia has relatively few cases (230 or so), but everything is on lockdown, as it should be.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
 iwbiek wrote:How are you

iwbiek wrote:

How are you guys? Slovakia has relatively few cases (230 or so), but everything is on lockdown, as it should be.

Not too bad yet in Australia but it's starting to get out of hand - from 2000 to 3000 cases in 2 days. Only a handful of deaths so far. People not taking it seriously enough, IMO. Unlike NZ, which confined all citizens but essential services to their homes Weds night just gone for 4 weeks, even though they had about the same number of infections as you have in Slovakia. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You can stop losing sleep

You can stop losing sleep worring about me. I found high population density to be highly unsantitary and practiced social distancing long before this virus.

Just hoarding popcorn while I sit back and watch nature do the population control for us.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 As much as some here piss

As much as some here piss me off, believe me, I don't want my worst enemy harmed by this. 

Having said that, if one supports economic conservatism which in reality really means, "fuck everyone but the rich, and ignore saving for a rainy day",  nobody who supports such bullsit should be surprised that the spread was made easier by lack of regulation. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline

As much as some here piss me off, believe me, I don't want my worst enemy harmed by this. 

Having said that, if one supports economic conservatism which in reality really means, "fuck everyone but the rich, and ignore saving for a rainy day",  nobody who supports such bullsit should be surprised that the spread was made easier by lack of regulation. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  nobody who

Brian37 wrote:

nobody who supports such bullsit should be surprised that the spread was made easier by lack of regulation. 

Yes, lack of regulation of population growth, you can not let places get extremely overpopulated by open borders allow these people to live in unsanitary conditions where people collect welfare to do nothing instead of clean the streets and public places. The unsanitary and overcrowded conditions of cities run by 'Progressives' is a national disgrace.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Not too bad yet in Australia but it's starting to get out of hand - from 2000 to 3000 cases in 2 days. Only a handful of deaths so far. People not taking it seriously enough, IMO. Unlike NZ, which confined all citizens but essential services to their homes Weds night just gone for 4 weeks, even though they had about the same number of infections as you have in Slovakia. 

Good to hear from you, buddy. You know anything about Eloise? She's our only other Aussie alum still kicking I know of.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The world has lost its

The world has lost its damn mind, politically I have completely, totally, utterly and definitively lost. So I don't even try anymore.

I have my acreage, easy access to a waterway I enjoy putting my kayak on to do a little fishing and watch the sunrise. Spend my days minding the garden, entertaining my dogs, writing, hunting, fishing, regular gambling trips, remodeling my house one room at a time, enjoying good food and bourbon- no deadlines, no paperwork, nothing that I have to do- retirement is good.

I get a bit of sadness when I see my life's work being thrown under the bus, a bit guilty when the thought of how lucky I was to have sold everything when I did floats across my mind. But Brian was right- fuck-em, I got mine. Going Galt was the best decision of my life. Now I can watch it like a horror movie, because if I was still in business I would be losing my sanity right now. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote: The

Beyond Saving wrote:

The world has lost its damn mind, politically I have completely, totally, utterly and definitively lost. So I don't even try anymore.

I have my acreage, easy access to a waterway I enjoy putting my kayak on to do a little fishing and watch the sunrise. Spend my days minding the garden, entertaining my dogs, writing, hunting, fishing, regular gambling trips, remodeling my house one room at a time, enjoying good food and bourbon- no deadlines, no paperwork, nothing that I have to do- retirement is good.

I get a bit of sadness when I see my life's work being thrown under the bus, a bit guilty when the thought of how lucky I was to have sold everything when I did floats across my mind. But Brian was right- fuck-em, I got mine. Going Galt was the best decision of my life. Now I can watch it like a horror movie, because if I was still in business I would be losing my sanity right now. 

"Fuck em I got mine",,,,,, Which Brian are you talking about, not me. I have always argued from a government standpoint "fuck you I got mine" is not a good goal. 

The idea that 62 uber billionairs are entitled to same combined wealth of 3 billion of the rest of humanity, that is a problem. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
hoss, i'd like to see that

hoss, i'd like to see that property of yours, do a bit of fishing, crush a six-pack or two or four. one thing you and i would always be able to agree on is that everything is royally FUBAR.

whenever i take a peak at things back home, even the most hardline trotskyist in me thinks, "would i even WANT to be in a revolution with these people?" i find myself laughing humorlessly at the fact that "leftist" has become synonymous with "freeloader," when the people who started the leftist scene were precisely the workers who were splitting their knuckles open on engline blocks, getting scalded by steam in industrial laundreys, getting suffocated by cave-ins in coal mines, and saying, "fuck me, i oughtta at least be treated like a human if i'm gonna go through this shit." now i'm starting to rethink a government of the workers if the workers means some fucker in a man-bun who bitches about the kind of free coffee in the break room. yes, i'm grouchy. i'm majorly fucking grouchy.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 "whenever i take a peak at

"whenever i take a peak at things back home, even the most hardline trotskyist in me thinks, "would i even WANT to be in a revolution with these people?"

Absolutely fucking not! Americans on either side can't even hold a decent protest anymore. Could you even imagine an actual revolution? 90% of the revolutionary army would turn around and walk home before they made it a block. At most you would get a few super crackpots, boarding themselves in and firing a few shots but the ease with which the government could squash them and the rest of society wouldn't even care. Or you have a "Black Lives Matter" situation where you have a fairly decent grassroots movement which is then coopted by one of the politcal parties and effectively neutered and twisted into becoming an organization that supports the very establishment it was formed to protest.

There might be a revolution somewhere, but it isn't going to happen in the US. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:There

Beyond Saving wrote:

There might be a revolution somewhere, but it isn't going to happen in the US. 

that's been my sentiment for a long time. i've expressed it a couple times on here before. my hopes lie with the third world, and even that's slim. the growth of mass media has made assimilation with the status quo almost instantaneous. even if the third world does come through, it won't be in my lifetime.

--Hunter S. Thompson