A Young Man spent an entire year offline and did not even log on to the internet at all

Burnedout
Posts: 540
Joined: 2007-05-14
User is offlineOffline
A Young Man spent an entire year offline and did not even log on to the internet at all

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trVzyG4zFMU  

 

I am not passing judgment.  I find it is interesting that this young man has experienced what people my age and older lived during our youth and until our early middle ages.  I was not online until I was in my 30's, and it was the days of dial up.  I just find that a very different existence.  I hate texting.  To me, phones were for talking.  Texting never existed.  I am just getting old.  


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
I've wanted to try no

I've wanted to try no information/electronincs for a year. No tv. no phones. no computers.

I remember my first modem for my apple //e. it was 300 baud. I was like giddy. I used to call all the local BBS's then I got daring and called a few long distance ones. It was all down hill from there. I have been involved with computers in some form or fashion ever day of my life for 35 years.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15738
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I've

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I've wanted to try no information/electronincs for a year. No tv. no phones. no computers.

I remember my first modem for my apple //e. it was 300 baud. I was like giddy. I used to call all the local BBS's then I got daring and called a few long distance ones. It was all down hill from there. I have been involved with computers in some form or fashion ever day of my life for 35 years.

Back in the early 90s or so, I learned the difference between upgradable and intigrated were. I forgot what baud my modem was at the time, but wanted to get a better one. My friend came over to look inside to see if it was possible. Took him less than a couple seconds once he got the cover off, and said "you're screwed". He showed me the back of the PC where the line plugged in, to the card and the wire that was sodered to the mother board. 

Unfortunately more technology is doing just that. One part breaks you end up having to replace the entire thing. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I've wanted to try no information/electronincs for a year. No tv. no phones. no computers.

I remember my first modem for my apple //e. it was 300 baud. I was like giddy. I used to call all the local BBS's then I got daring and called a few long distance ones. It was all down hill from there. I have been involved with computers in some form or fashion ever day of my life for 35 years.

Back in the early 90s or so, I learned the difference between upgradable and intigrated were. I forgot what baud my modem was at the time, but wanted to get a better one. My friend came over to look inside to see if it was possible. Took him less than a couple seconds once he got the cover off, and said "you're screwed". He showed me the back of the PC where the line plugged in, to the card and the wire that was sodered to the mother board. 

Unfortunately more technology is doing just that. One part breaks you end up having to replace the entire thing. 

All computers, with the exception of computers with out 'bus slots' can be upgraded. I've had plenty of computers which had NIC's or modems or video hardwired on to the mother board but you simply turn them off in the BIOS and then install your new card in the bus slot. However I'm not sure how your statement is related to the OP.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Burnedout

Burnedout wrote:

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trVzyG4zFMU  

 

I am not passing judgment.  I find it is interesting that this young man has experienced what people my age and older lived during our youth and until our early middle ages.  I was not online until I was in my 30's, and it was the days of dial up.  I just find that a very different existence.  I hate texting.  To me, phones were for talking.  Texting never existed.  I am just getting old.  

I am no fan of texting and such, but I am not so sure that I have much nostalgia for the time before the Web. In school, one had to go to the library, browse a card catalog and HOPE they would find a book updated enough to do research. In the days when I was growing up, if one was different in a tiny town, that was the whole world and if could find no like minded people, you were on your own. Today I get to talk to people in Europe and Asia via chat on Facebook. Today I have information right at my fingertips and the ability to research fairly easily. 

In the old days, if you wanted to contact organizations about anything, you wrote a letter and waited for a reply. If you wanted to contact an old friend, you wrote a letter or had the obligatory long distance phone call once a year and usually lost touch, today I get to hear from people all of the time via social media and can discuss issues like on here. 

I do remember dial ups in the 90s, I do remember a time when I spent most of my childhood out doors as outdoors was the ultmate freedom from school. Any time the weather was remotely pleasant, parents had to practically drag all of us neighborhood kids in at dark.

I do miss certain things from the past that kids today have no conception of.

While I am the world's worst at professing hatred of cell phones in hand all the time, I must say that if your broke down on the side of the highway fifty miles from the nearest town, you can get a ride without having to walk (provided the signals on my old antique work of course).  

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15738
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I've wanted to try no information/electronincs for a year. No tv. no phones. no computers.

I remember my first modem for my apple //e. it was 300 baud. I was like giddy. I used to call all the local BBS's then I got daring and called a few long distance ones. It was all down hill from there. I have been involved with computers in some form or fashion ever day of my life for 35 years.

Back in the early 90s or so, I learned the difference between upgradable and intigrated were. I forgot what baud my modem was at the time, but wanted to get a better one. My friend came over to look inside to see if it was possible. Took him less than a couple seconds once he got the cover off, and said "you're screwed". He showed me the back of the PC where the line plugged in, to the card and the wire that was sodered to the mother board. 

Unfortunately more technology is doing just that. One part breaks you end up having to replace the entire thing. 

All computers, with the exception of computers with out 'bus slots' can be upgraded. I've had plenty of computers which had NIC's or modems or video hardwired on to the mother board but you simply turn them off in the BIOS and then install your new card in the bus slot. However I'm not sure how your statement is related to the OP.

Upgraded and intigrated are two completely different things. Upgraded can apply to both software and hardware, but not all hardware is removable and depending what computer you get, you may have parts hardwired that you cannot remove that are connected. Expansion slots for examply only ammount to an upgrade. Lots of computers have parts hardwired to the motherboard. Sometimes if a part breaks you can use an expansion slot to get around a broken part. But it depends on each computer. I will say though the days of towers are on the way out, and more and more complete systems are going to be integrated. 

Upgrade merely means add to it. Integrated means the parts cannot be separated, although sometimes you can get around those broken parts by using an epansion slot.

One commone integrated part on many towers is a sound card, if that tower has expansion slots and the integrated sound card goes bad, you can use an expansion slot to get around that dead part. Sometimes some towers have integrated video cards and again, if that part goes bad, if the computer has expansion slots you can get around that.

 

In the case of my old computer, back then, my computer did not have a place to get by that modem. I had no way to upgrade it or bypass it and it was hard wired to the motherboard. So if that part had broken, which it didn't I could still use the computer, but if I wanted to get online I was screwed IF it had gone bad. So in the case of that particular computer, if I wanted a better modem, I still had to buy a new computer. Not everything in a computer is removable or can be bypassed so it depends on which one you have and how it is set up.

One thing I hate about even software now is that with many systems even in the code, if you don't like the current windows that came with it, you cant reformat the hard drive and put an older version on it. I am sure some experts can, but layperson most likely would not know how to do that.

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
It's easy really. You just

It's easy really. You just need the installation disc(s). Or you could probably pirate a copy. MS doesn't support the version anymore then they can't complain about people sharing it.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.