Another ABBA thread.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another ABBA thread.

RationalPoet.......All I have to say about this ABBA clip is "SMOKING! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hy4i8qs_Mo

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
 ABBA was ok but they never

ABBA was ok but they never really went beyond that inital level of local folk band. I think they sold 60 million units? Hardly a band to go nuts over.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote: ABBA

digitalbeachbum wrote:

ABBA was ok but they never really went beyond that inital level of local folk band. I think they sold 60 million units? Hardly a band to go nuts over.

They beat the Beatles in sales in the UK for a few months last year or the year before.. They are still very big and were for their time. They were populare everywhere except the US but mostly Europe and Australia.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

They beat the Beatles in sales in the UK for a few months last year or the year before.. They are still very big and were for their time. They were populare everywhere except the US but mostly Europe and Australia.

yeah i saw that article but that is pointless considering that it has been fifty years since the beatles had their hayday. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, many people don't

yeah, many people don't realize that trends in oldies fluctuate just like trends in new music. one year everybody's all about reviving disco, next year motown, next year rockabilly, next year '70s funk, next year big band.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:yeah, many

iwbiek wrote:
yeah, many people don't realize that trends in oldies fluctuate just like trends in new music. one year everybody's all about reviving disco, next year motown, next year rockabilly, next year '70s funk, next year big band.

Really? I don't get paid a dime for being a fan. Not sure who you are talking about. Things come and go and things get recycled yes. But the one thing I do hate about non ABBA fans(not jihad hate, but annoys me, is that they are much more than disco).

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

yeah i saw that article but that is pointless considering that it has been fifty years since the beatles had their hayday. 

40 years FYI............People still watch Bogart movies. So? If we are getting technical all life is pointless in the grand scope of the universe. Still doesn't mean we cant have fun while we are here.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:iwbiek

Brian37 wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Really? I don't get paid a dime for being a fan. Not sure who you are talking about. Things come and go and things get recycled yes. But the one thing I do hate about non ABBA fans(not jihad hate, but annoys me, is that they are much more than disco).

i'm talking about the general public and public tastes. nobody's accusing you of getting paid anything.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:40 years

Brian37 wrote:

40 years FYI............People still watch Bogart movies. So? If we are getting technical all life is pointless in the grand scope of the universe. Still doesn't mean we cant have fun while we are here.

Fewer people what Bogart movies each year. Soon none of his movies will be watched.

Abba will soon die

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Fewer people what Bogart movies each year. Soon none of his movies will be watched.

Abba will soon die

Yea, well think of all the Pharaohs in their 3,000 year dynasty, most only remember Tut. They had their 40th year album released last year and again, beat the Beatles in sales in the UK for a while. They wont be dying soon.  

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Really? I

Brian37 wrote:

Yes, yes but why haven't you worked evolution® into this thread, yet ?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Yes, yes but why haven't you worked evolution® into this thread, yet ?

Ok since you brought it up. Everything humans do IS a result of evolution, yes even entertainment. For the same reason a kitten will chase a lazer light. Leasure is part of our evolution as much as work is. For ABBA it is a source of income, for the fans leasure. No different than hunting for food (resources) and lion cubs play fighting(fans enjoying the music).

If you stupidly want to coddle others who still want to view the world through flat earth thinking, you can. I don't loose my sense of awe or enjoyment for accepting reality. 

Sports also is our species simulating for gain of resources. It is simulating the competition for those resources. 

Play and work are all part of evolution. Both are part of our socializing. If you want to coddle those who like superstition and bullshit claims of the super natural because you don't want to bruise other's egos, you can. I think life is much better now because others bothered to figure out the nature of reality.

Difference between my personal taste for ABBA and say religion. Is  I am not forming political parties based on it passing oppressive laws or committing acts of violence in the name of ABBA. Religion as a concept does not have that self restraint and has to constantly be kept on a leash. When people start becoming genocidal in the name of ABBA then I will call it a religion and treat it like poison. 

Little boys don't fly around on brooms, you won't get 72 virgins by slamming planes into buildings. There was no magic baby  or zombie god. Saying religion is natural, doesn't make it good. It merely means humans are notorious for comming to false conclusions.

If you want to protect others who insist on living in the past, you can. I think our species does better by accepting reality.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:When people

Brian37 wrote:

When people start becoming genocidal in the name of ABBA then I will call it a religion and treat it like poison. 

I can almost guarantee that somewhere, at sometime, someone was killed in a fight over an ABBA song playing. So great, you can move on from ABBA now. What will it take for you to move on from harping about EVOLUTION®?

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

When people start becoming genocidal in the name of ABBA then I will call it a religion and treat it like poison. 

I can almost guarantee that somewhere, at sometime, someone was killed in a fight over an ABBA song playing. So great, you can move on from ABBA now. What will it take for you to move on from harping about EVOLUTION®?

Since you have a fetish for betting, I can play this game too. I'd place my bets if you found an example of someone being murdered over an ABBA song, it would not be the ABBA fan, it would be the the other who acts like a child because they don't like ABBA.

And damned fucking right I will harp on evolution. It is a fact. If you want to coddle the insecurities of morons who cant accept it, be my guest. I dont. 

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
 No true ABBA fan would

No true ABBA fan would kill over a song.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: No true

zarathustra wrote:

No true ABBA fan would kill over a song.

Didn't argue that. Don't go there. Our species ability to be cruel or compassionate is in our evolution. I have no doubt if you talked to violent prisoners in Europe or America, you could find a few that listen to ABBA. Not using the same true scottsman fallacy theism uses. If a label automatically made humans never commit crimes, prisons would not exist at all. Christians in America like to claim their religion makes them moral, but if you survey our prison population most would hold that label. I was talking in terms of averages, not patents or absolutes. 

And again, people continue to ignore that I also don't like it when the word "atheist" is treated as if it is more than a position. Atheists can turn a what should be merely treated as no more than "off" on one claim, and try to compete with other labels by creating a moral code out of it. If they succeed in doing that then "atheist" becomes a religion "Atheist". It should not be. Religion is poison and if the word "atheist" got turned into a religion then it too should be called poison. I hope that never happens.

Our species ability to be cruel or compassionate is in us and that includes atheists as well. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Ok since you

Brian37 wrote:

Ok since you brought it up. Everything humans do IS a result of evolution, yes even...

Brian, thanks for being our puppet.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
lmfao

lmfao

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.