A Little Christmas Miracle

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
A Little Christmas Miracle

So for the past 36 hours I have been pretty stressed out, which isn't like me because I am generally a very low stress individual. Yesterday morning, I woke up, packed up my car with my luggage, dog and Christmas presents ready to drive off to Wisconsin (where my family lives) and the car wouldn't start. Shit. Shit. SHIT. A few simple checks and I determine that it isn't the battery and is probably the starter. I locate the starter, which happens to be underneath the fucking engine. After a few choice words at whatever imbecile engineer put the starter under the engine instead of near the battery where I could reach it without being stretch armstrong, I call AAA and have a tow truck come pick it up. By now, it is 3 pm and the guys at the repair shop don't even have time to look at it.

This morning, I stress until noon, then decide I need to get out of the house. So I start walking towards town (about 4 miles) then out of the blue, a stranger stops and asks if I need a ride, saving me a few miles walking in this damn cold. I swing by the local pub and get some grub and a couple beers, prepared to start getting myself well and truly drunk if my car wasn't finished. Just when I get done, my mechanic calls and tells me I'm good to go, when I tell him I'll walk over, he offers to come pick me up. The guys at the mechanic shop stayed about an hour past their closing time to finish up my car, so I could get home for Christmas. I don't think there is any way to say thank you enough. A little Christmas miracle that will let me get to my family to enjoy the holiday with them. No deity needed, just the kindness of other people helping someone they see in need.

Merry Xmas. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline

It's true that people aren't all bad but it does say a lot when simply being a humanitarian qualifies as a miracle.  Have a good trip.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm glad you were able to

I'm glad you were able to get your car going. Have a good time.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
get proper drunk in

get proper drunk in wisconsin for me! see one of vastet's ice storm threads for my memories of my dad and uncles getting up at 4 a.m. during an ice storm to clear trees off the road for nothing, just so people in the backwoods could get to work on time. there are plenty of good people out there still. merry christmas to you and yours.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Be careful how you use the

Be careful how you use the word "miracle". The christians will say their god convinced those mechanics to stay late and fix the car.

Either way, I'm happy to hear you made it to your family in time.