Modus tollens - ponens, and inductive arguments

Atlamalta
User is offlineOffline
Modus tollens - ponens, and inductive arguments

I have been wondering if Modus tollens and ponens apply as well to inductive arguments, I think they don't but I'm not sure. Could someone help me on this?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
The short answer is no. In

The short answer is no. In inductive logic whether or not the form of an argument is valid or invalid is irrelevant. Inductive arguments are either strong or weak and a form that is valid in deduction can have a weak inductive argument or a form that is invalid could have a strong inductive argument. Since you are not dealing with absolutes with induction, the validity of the form is not crucial and you won't see an inductive argument judged by its form. So while an inductive argument may take the form of modus tollens or ponens it adds nothing to how the argument is judged as weak or strong.

For the longer smarter than me explanation on how inductive arguments are judged. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-inductive/

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Atlamalta
User is offlineOffline
For the longer smarter than you explanation...

...I will check your link, but don't be so hard on yourself, your answer is pretty good though.

Thank you so much again.