China has it's own superstitions.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15747
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
China has it's own superstitions.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
I would have thought

 I would have thought that something like that could only exist in places like dark comedies or very crude jokes.  I wish that I wasn't constantly proven wrong about that. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15747
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote: I

harleysportster wrote:

 I would have thought that something like that could only exist in places like dark comedies or very crude jokes.  I wish that I wasn't constantly proven wrong about that. 

 

Well, I post this because I get tired of the "If you don't believe in a god, that will lead to communism".

 

China's population is not delusion free and has it's own superstitions as this demonstrates.

 

If anything China's communist government has everything in common with the God/s of Abraham. They are both based on worship and expected blind loyalty. You are not ruled by consent of the governed but ruled by absolute authority.

 

But it should demonstrate that delusions no no boarders and are an unfortunate product of human evolution.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
 ROFLMAO Fucking brilliant!

 ROFLMAO Fucking brilliant! Why didn't I ever think of that? I'm going into the faith healing business. (My spidey sense says this story isn't real though.) 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
 Well my spidey sense was

 Well my spidey sense was wrong. Apparently it is a legit story at least insofar as you can trust a Chinese newspaper. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
Posts: 1951
Joined: 2011-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Stupid sh1t con artist better think hard about jealous husbands.

numero uno

 Re :: The con artist better think about jealous husbands

 

  

   National Geographic produced a documentary titled "Inside a Cult" highlighting a David Koresh type cult leader, Koresh being a split off of the Branch Davidians. I only caught like 1/3 of it, about a Wayne Bent, who also uses the name Michael Travesser, who is currently serving a 10-year prison sentence for criminal sexual contact of a minor. One of the married males recounts where he had sex with this guys wife, in front of him.  Pretty  dark !!

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15747
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

 ROFLMAO Fucking brilliant! Why didn't I ever think of that? I'm going into the faith healing business. (My spidey sense says this story isn't real though.) 

Your "Spidey sense" predicted Ohio.....oh wait.

 

China's population is just as superstitious as any other in the world so it should not surprise anyone that someone pulled this stunt there and someone fell for it

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond Saving

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

 ROFLMAO Fucking brilliant! Why didn't I ever think of that? I'm going into the faith healing business. (My spidey sense says this story isn't real though.) 

Your "Spidey sense" predicted Ohio.....oh wait.

 

China's population is just as superstitious as any other in the world so it should not surprise anyone that someone pulled this stunt there and someone fell for it

 

Well hopefully Bamacare will be able to fix my spidey sense. 

 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
.

Why was he arrested? Charged to much? The exorcism failed? Incorrect diagnosis?

Inquiring minds do want to know how one knows if a vagina is haunted. It might explain my second wife.

 

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:Brian37

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Why was he arrested? Charged to much? The exorcism failed? Incorrect diagnosis?

Inquiring minds do want to know how one knows if a vagina is haunted. It might explain my second wife.

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
ROFL

ROFL

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:Brian37

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Why was he arrested? Charged to much? The exorcism failed? Incorrect diagnosis?

Inquiring minds do want to know how one knows if a vagina is haunted. It might explain my second wife.

 

I would suspect, based upon mythic folklore, that there would be a cold, clammy feeling whenever it was near as well as a sense of foreboding discomfort.

 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
Posts: 1951
Joined: 2011-01-12
User is offlineOffline
↑ I believe he was doing it wrong (Taoist Exorcism)

 Re ::    ↑  I believe he was doing it wrong (Taoist Exorcism)

  Not everything is subject to interpretation

 


  Please consult image . . .

 



 Heaven arms with pity those whom it would not see destroyed! First of the Three Jewels or Treasures Is Tz'u literally Compassion pity kindness ¬ Tao Te Ching

 

 External URL and Link --

 http://www.examiner.com/list/worst-paranormal-related-crimes-of-2013-so-far/man-convinces-woman-her-vagina-is-haunted-and-tries-to-rid-ghosts-with-his-penis

  Can you justify this ?



 


 

    Ps XXXVI : IV -- Even on his bed, he devises trouble ; so set is he on his own bad way, that he doesn't hate evil.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
dana raises a good point. 

dana raises a good point.  over the centuries, taoism developed a highly complex system of sexual practices, remedies, meditations, exorcisms, etc., most of them having to do with the man "retaining" his semen so as not to dissipate his power (usually by pinching off the urethra during ejaculation--the chinese didn't realize that the semen just went back into the bladder and was expelled later during urination).  usually, women were considered nothing more than vessels for such experimentation, being considered "passive" and having little or no intrinsic power of their own.  this has a close (though probably unrelated) parallel in buddhist tantrism, and can be contrasted with "hindu" shaivite or shakta tantrism, in while the female element is considered the active power.

this is a classic example of the synchretism of christianity with "native" beliefs.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15747
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:dana raises a

iwbiek wrote:

dana raises a good point.  over the centuries, taoism developed a highly complex system of sexual practices, remedies, meditations, exorcisms, etc., most of them having to do with the man "retaining" his semen so as not to dissipate his power (usually by pinching off the urethra during ejaculation--the chinese didn't realize that the semen just went back into the bladder and was expelled later during urination).  usually, women were considered nothing more than vessels for such experimentation, being considered "passive" and having little or no intrinsic power of their own.  this has a close (though probably unrelated) parallel in buddhist tantrism, and can be contrasted with "hindu" shaivite or shakta tantrism, in while the female element is considered the active power.

this is a classic example of the synchretism of christianity with "native" beliefs.

Quote:
usually, women were considered nothing more than vessels for such experimentation, being considered "passive" and having little or no intrinsic power of their own. 

 

Right, which makes religion good how? You wont see a female Dali Lama anytime soon. You wont see a female Catholic Pope anytime soon. You wont see a female Rabbi in most places, if there are any. You wont see female Muslim Clerics or female Imams. While some sects of Christianity do allow female leaders now, most don't in the entire world.

 

Religion is our evolutionary downside. It allows humans to think crap like that, and men today in all many sects of many different religions STILL have gender roles for women.

 

You want to "liberate" the world, then advocate for more power for women and don't cherry pick religions because most of them are for the most part sexist institutions run by men.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
Posts: 1951
Joined: 2011-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Posting image, please excuse I dont have the time to type it all

For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks,.  Mike I.S.  Ash

 

  See :: Image ::



 

 p.s.  -- Posted massive image of Mike I.S. Ash's article, I recommend learning, and learning is fun.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Right, which

Brian37 wrote:

 

Right, which makes religion good how?

 

i don't know.  you're the one asking a stupid fucking question that has nothing to do with anything anybody has said on this thread.  you fucking answer it.

and believe it or not, brian, just because someone points out you're a shrill little ignorant prick and most of your arguments are worth fuck-all does not mean they're defending religion.  it just means they're attacking you.

Brian37 wrote:

You wont see a female Dali Lama anytime soon.

good.  i'd rather not see a male dalai lama either.  i'd like to see the whole institution ended.

Brian37 wrote:
 

You wont see a female Rabbi in most places, if there are any. 

um, yes you will, because reform judaism is the largest sect within judaism and reform judaism has zero problem with female rabbis.  i've met several.

your ignorance is showing again.

 

Brian37 wrote:

 

You want to "liberate" the world

 

nope.  never said that.  ah, the brian pattern.  straw man the shit out of people.  too bad you don't even do THAT well.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
i would also like to point

i would also like to point out that a few years ago bob spence and i discussed buddhism several times.  he identified real, fundamental problems with the religion and its impact on southeast asia, and i agreed with pretty much all his points.  at no time did the discussion become even slightly hostile.

why?  because bob spence knew what the fuck he was talking about.  EVERY religion has problems, usually SERIOUS problems, but part of rationality is caring about the specifics of a situation.

i belong to NO RELIGION because religions are a WAY OUT of the fundamental problem of existence (what that problem is exactly depends on the religion, but all identify a problem), and i don't believe there IS a fundamental problem of existence.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15747
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i would also

iwbiek wrote:

i would also like to point out that a few years ago bob spence and i discussed buddhism several times.  he identified real, fundamental problems with the religion and its impact on southeast asia, and i agreed with pretty much all his points.  at no time did the discussion become even slightly hostile.

why?  because bob spence knew what the fuck he was talking about.  EVERY religion has problems, usually SERIOUS problems, but part of rationality is caring about the specifics of a situation.

i belong to NO RELIGION because religions are a WAY OUT of the fundamental problem of existence (what that problem is exactly depends on the religion, but all identify a problem), and i don't believe there IS a fundamental problem of existence.

"Holstile"?, stop, I talk to him just about every damned day, he is one of my two best friends. The last thing he would call me is "hostile".

You really need to get over yourself and your childish kneejerk reaction with words.

Oh and for you to point out problems with "Buddhism" then bitch at me for my criticism of ALL religions is funny.

If you look at the history of that region, "Buddhism" covers a wide swath of the orient and they have had wars amongst themselves too.

ALL religions are full of motifs and platitudes that overlap in theme. That should tell humans that it is evolution that gives them their morals and not their religion.

And that is what makes ALL religions poison, because it distracts us from our common existence. And Bob has said it distorts our perceptions of reality.

Quote:
i don't believe there IS a fundamental problem of existence.

YES THERE IS, because reality in nature is not perfect or a utopia. Our flaw as a species is that we evolved to seek patterns, but the flaw is that we far too often fill those gaps with quick answers, not right answers.

 

Dawkins describes this flaw in the God Delusion as "the moth mistaking the light bulb for moonlight".

 

Just like you will kill a virgin and sacrifice it to a volcano, because that falsehood may placate your emotions, it does not reflect the nature of reality or the real pain and harm you do to other humans.

 

Quote:
EVERY religion has problems,

BINGO!

Why, because humans are flawed and our perceptions as a species are flawed.

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  If you

Brian37 wrote:

 

 

If you look at the history of that region, "Buddhism" covers a wide swath of the orient and they have had wars amongst themselves too.

really?????  cuz i had no fucking clue.  i'm totally unacquainted with the history of buddhism.

 

Brian37 wrote:

YES THERE IS, because reality in nature is not perfect or a utopia. Our flaw as a species is that we evolved to seek patterns, but the flaw is that we far too often fill those gaps with quick answers, not right answers.

so you're saying there is a standard for how things should be?  hmmm, where can i find it?  nature IS perfect.  it exists precisely as it is.

 

Brian37 wrote:

BINGO!

Why, because humans are flawed and our perceptions as a species are flawed.

 

 

 

 

but we're not all flawed in the same way, and neither are religions.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:good.  i'd

iwbiek wrote:

good.  i'd rather not see a male dalai lama either.  i'd like to see the whole institution ended.

 

I forgot who it was on here that had pointed out that the Dalai Lama and Buddhism itself are two very different things. In fact they are a bit of a non-sequitur and do not belong in the same sentence.

Right after leaving Christianity, I actually flirted around with Buddhism for a bit. (Oh we have already discussed that on here before and I see no real need to bring all that back up).

But I look at Dalai Lama as just a disposed dictator that gets to hang out with Hollywood wealth and talk about peace. Just another fraud, no different than a Hitler.

However, according to this link above, performing a fraudulent exercise over a possessed vagina is also unrelated to Buddhism ? ? ?

I mean, the title of the thread was "China has its own superstitions". To my very limited knowledge, Buddhism and haunted vaginas do not go too much together Smiling

But then again, what do I know ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
Posts: 1951
Joined: 2011-01-12
User is offlineOffline
↑ ? Come Again ?!?? Don't be bashful now. You!

 ?

Don't be bashful now. You!
 

HarleySporters wrote:
. . do not go too much together

   Who  ever  suggested it did;  plan on showing us ?!???

 

Iwbiek wrote:
. . that has nothing to do with anything anybody has said on this thread.

   . .

 

BeyondSaving wrote:
And again, how does that relate at all to what you quoted?

     . .


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

HarleySporters wrote:
. . do not go too much together

   Who  ever  suggested it did;  plan on showing us ?!???

 

I actually could care less if truth were to be told.

Just stating what seemed to be obvious.

Oh well, no worries, fuck it. 

Back to the thread.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno