atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Reza Aslan stuns foxnews presenter about his book about Jesus

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Mind bending agenda

I don't usually get exposed to Fox, though I had an idea of what they were like.

What a foolish interviewer.

Quoting William Lane Craig as an authority and then saying that a Democrat cannot write a book about Reagan.

Mission accomplished though for Fox, as Aslan didn't get a chance to say very much about his book.

Aslan's claim that everyone agrees that the crucifixion wasn't fiction is a bit rich though.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Wow, just wow... I mean,

Wow, just wow... I mean, all faith aside, and the fact that I don't watch Fox news or any other new outlet for that matter (except for the internets that I vaguely pick and choose from).  I sympathize with this guy...

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:I don't usually get

x wrote:

I don't usually get exposed to Fox, though I had an idea of what they were like.

Quoting William Lane Craig as an authority and then saying that a Democrat cannot write a book about Reagan.

Mission accomplished though for Fox, as Aslan didn't get a chance to say very much about his book.

Aslan's claim that everyone agrees that the crucifixion wasn't fiction is a bit rich though.

I think the FOX interviewer was looking to make a story rather than report a story. She was given an outline or talking points and she never read his book.

WLC is an idiot. Quoting him as an "expert" on any thing other than being a loon is poor researching.

Aslan made several claims which I disagree with, but he is articulate and very open. I'd love to have a conversation with him. Look at how well he handled himself with this dope of an interviewer.

This is a good example of people not being confident in their own religion. They automatically go on the attack because "how dare you write any thing negative about my savior, you aren't a christian."

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I agree

digitalbeachbum wrote:

x wrote:

I think the FOX interviewer was looking to make a story rather than report a story. She was given an outline or talking points and she never read his book.

WLC is an idiot. Quoting him as an "expert" on any thing other than being a loon is poor researching.

Aslan made several claims which I disagree with, but he is articulate and very open. I'd love to have a conversation with him. Look at how well he handled himself with this dope of an interviewer.

This is a good example of people not being confident in their own religion. They automatically go on the attack because "how dare you write any thing negative about my savior, you aren't a christian."

She did seem to be playing the role of ignorant, hired attack dog.

Alsan certainly came out as the winner.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I loved the way he didn't

I loved the way he didn't take the bait. Explained that his family was diverse, and that his was about the study of RELIGION(S).

On the other hand though I do find it funny that either side can point to the other and go "I doubt the other", and I on the outside think "yea, watching a Muslim and Christian debate would be like watching a Star Wars and Harry Potter fan debate".

But I think Fox better change it's formula of baiting guests, because you look like a fucking idiot when cool heads like his prevail.

I'd love to debate this guy though. Very Jeffersonian in his attitude. Refreshing to see, Muslim or anyone.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Going viral - Ka-ching

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:It's all over the

Your second link is a joke right? FirstThings is not a balanced website. Do you know what their position is on religion?

Also, that post on First Things, that was written by Matthew J. Franck.... give me a fucking break.

(edit)

While Aslan isn't a, hmmm, well-noted historian, he still makes his living at what he does which is write books and research religions. Is it that only "christians" can write about jesus? is this one of those off-limits subjects. "How dare you write about Malcom X, you aren't black so you can't write about him".

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Mmm, this Kool-Aid ain’t too bad

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Your second link is a joke right? FirstThings is not a balanced website. Do you know what their position is on religion?

Also, that post on First Things, that was written by Matthew J. Franck.... give me a fucking break.

(edit)

While Aslan isn't a, hmmm, well-noted historian, he still makes his living at what he does which is write books and research religions. Is it that only "christians" can write about jesus? is this one of those off-limits subjects. "How dare you write about Malcom X, you aren't black so you can't write about him". 

Ha, no I didn’t closely check what that site’s inclinations are, but even though they are Christians, I still think that the point raised about his credentials as a historian is relevant.

This is an issue that is commonly raised in debates about the history of religion and usually, it is the theologians who falsely go around claiming to be historians. The same standards have to apply to everyone.

Aslan’s claim isn't as exaggerated as those of the theologians, since his field is much closer to history than theology is and it can forgiven more than somewhat due to the Fox context, but he is making historical claims, particularly that Jesus Christ was a certain type of historical person.

I agree that he has every right to write such a book and that the interviewer was ridiculous, I am just questioning some of his historical claims.

Almost all writing about early Christian history has been done by Christian believers, so it is good that non-Christians are starting to write about it too.

[edit]

Of course, since Aslan is a Muslim, he is also subject to confirmation bias regarding the historicity of Christ.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:digitalbeachbum

x wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

(edit)

Ha, no I didn’t closely check what that site’s inclinations are, but even though they are Christians, I still think that the point raised about his credentials as a historian is relevant.

This is an issue that is commonly raised in debates about the history of religion and usually, it is the theologians who falsely go around claiming to be historians. The same standards have to apply to everyone.

Aslan’s claim isn't as exaggerated as those of the theologians, since his field is much closer to history than theology is and it can forgiven more than somewhat due to the Fox context, but he is making historical claims, particularly that Jesus Christ was a certain type of historical person.

I agree that he has every right to write such a book and that the interviewer was ridiculous, I am just questioning some of his historical claims.

Almost all writing about early Christian history has been done by Christian believers, so it is good that non-Christians are starting to write about it too.

[edit]

Of course, since Aslan is a Muslim, he is also subject to confirmation bias regarding the historicity of Christ.

I agree. I think that he has the right to write the book even if his credentials are questionable. I think people who are trying to discredit him are merely using the subject to redirect some of the flack off the interviewer and on to Aslan.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
History of Islam

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I agree. I think that he has the right to write the book even if his credentials are questionable. I think people who are trying to discredit him are merely using the subject to redirect some of the flack off the interviewer and on to Aslan.

Agree. His credentials are not perfect, but they seem pretty good.

A chunk of his history of Islam book is available in preview, if anyone is interested.

From what I've read so far, it seems to be quite sensible.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400062136#reader_1400062136

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:digitalbeachbum

x wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Agree. His credentials are not perfect, but they seem pretty good.

A chunk of his history of Islam book is available in preview, if anyone is interested.

From what I've read so far, it seems to be quite sensible.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400062136#reader_1400062136

I keep thinking about how religions started and it really is quite amazing. A follower, the faithful, will think that since their religion exists, it MUST be divine intervention. After all, other religions have come and gone because they were false.

Unfortunately, a follower of one faith can live 75-100 years and it is only a drop in the bucket for how long their religion must continue to endure. Islam and Christianity are relatively new religions and have a long, long, long road ahead of them.

5,000 years from now, when you speak to a human (if our race is still around), Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc will all be gone or modified so much that their won't be much left than similarities much like Greek, Roman and Egyptian religions were absorbed in to Christianity.