Excellent Article on Consciousness

Marty Hamrick
atheist
Marty Hamrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Excellent Article on Consciousness

Here is an excellent article on the problem of explaining consciousness by Steven Pinker, author of The Blank Slate. Enjoy.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1580394-1,00.html

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Nice - Some highlights for the time impaired

SCIENTISTS HAVE EXORCISED THE GHOST FROM THE MACHINE NOT because they are mechanistic killjoys but because they have amassed evidence that every aspect of consciousness can be tied to the brain.

In September, a team of Swiss neuroscientists reported that they could turn out-of-body experiences on and off by stimulating the part of the brain in which vision and bodily sensations converge.

ANOTHER STARTLING CONCLUSION FROM the science of consciousness is that the intuitive feeling we have that there's an executive "I" that sits in a control room of our brain, scanning the screens of the senses and pushing the buttons of the muscles, is an illusion.

No one knows what to do with the Hard Problem. Some people may see it as an opening to sneak the soul back in, but this just relabels the mystery of "consciousness" as the mystery of "the soul"--a word game that provides no insight.

Many philosophers, like Daniel Dennett, deny that the Hard Problem exists at all.

Whatever the solutions to the Easy and Hard problems turn out to be, few scientists doubt that they will locate consciousness in the activity of the brain. For many nonscientists, this is a terrifying prospect. Not only does it strangle the hope that we might survive the death of our bodies, but it also seems to undermine the notion that we are free agents responsible for our choices--not just in this lifetime but also in a life to come.

And when you think about it, the doctrine of a life-to-come is not such an uplifting idea after all because it necessarily devalues life on earth. Just remember the most famous people in recent memory who acted in expectation of a reward in the hereafter: the conspirators who hijacked the airliners on 9/11.

Think, too, about why we sometimes remind ourselves that "life is short." It is an impetus to extend a gesture of affection to a loved one, to bury the hatchet in a pointless dispute, to use time productively rather than squander it. I would argue that nothing gives life more purpose than the realization that every moment of consciousness is a precious and fragile gift.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting article. I'm

Interesting article. I'm going to need to read it again when I'm not so tired.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is onlineOnline
Awesome.

Awesome.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.