Ski Mask Control

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ski Mask Control

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/30/ski-mask-is-fashion-accessory-to-crime-in-dc/?page=1

Quote:

The notion is stirring debate among some Northwest Washington residents after reports of robberies committed by men wearing ski masks. The frequency of the robberies also has caught attention of police, who say one neighborhood crew is frequently purchasing masks at a local sports store for the express purpose of committing robberies.

“They clearly are a problem. Otherwise, we wouldn’t see it being mentioned in all the reports,” said Faith Wheeler, an Advisory Neighborhood Commission member from the Takoma neighborhood in Northwest.

And while police from the Metropolitan Police Department’s 4th District said they think the Rittenhouse Crew — many of whose members are known to police officers — is responsible for some of the robberies, the ski masks are a huge stumbling block if victims are to be unable to identify their assailants.

On a Metropolitan Police Department-run listserv, Ms. Wheeler was one of several people who broached the subject of trying to discourage the sale of ski masks in the neighborhood, or asked legislators whether there are other ways to ban their sale.

You can't make this stuff up. Washington D.C. has one of the highest crime rates in the country (even if you don't include all the politicians), they have the most restrictive gun laws in the country, you can't even (legally) buy ammunition without showing proof that you own a registered firearm of that caliber. So since gun control has failed spectacularly, the brilliant politicians have finally found the real culprit... SKI MASKS!

Yes, it is time. If you care about lowering crime you will support this ban. Big ski mask companies are knowingly selling their products to criminals, it is all about the money for those greedy sobs. Ski masks should be registered and stored in safes at licensed ski resorts. You shouldn't be able to buy a ski mask without a full background and mental health check. Obviously, if we got rid of all ski masks crime would drop dramatically.    

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Really? This is the best

Really? This is the best you've got? You think by doing this all the victims of gun violence are going to say "damn we have a problem with ski mask violence, we do need more guns"

Beyond, pot is legal now in Colorado , no need to peddle crack.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Really? This

Brian37 wrote:

Really? This is the best you've got? You think by doing this all the victims of gun violence are going to say "damn we have a problem with ski mask violence, we do need more guns"

Beyond, pot is legal now in Colorado , no need to peddle crack.

I'm not the one who proposed the law. In case you didn't notice my commentary was filled with sarcasm. It does point out the absurdity of banning items simply because criminals use them, the sad part is that the control freaks in Washington D.C. are seriously talking about banning ski masks. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I'm not

Beyond Saving wrote:

I'm not the one who proposed the law. In case you didn't notice my commentary was filled with sarcasm. It does point out the absurdity of banning items simply because criminals use them, the sad part is that the control freaks in Washington D.C. are seriously talking about banning ski masks. 

As much as I would love to believe this is some sort of satire from the Onion, I actually can imagine politicians being that stupid.

I was reading part of Toqueville's Democracy in America the other day, and while I have not even gotten halfway through it, I must admit he has some valid points about elected officials and their inept abilities to lead. (Although I have some disagreements about his views on aristocracy).

What his conclusions are going to be at the end of the book is going to be interesting to see.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think you miss my point

I think you miss my point Bubble Boy. Why did you title this the way you did?

Are there stupid laws? Yes.

You titled this the way you did to imply "Well, if this is stupid, so are gun laws".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I think you

Brian37 wrote:

I think you miss my point Bubble Boy. Why did you title this the way you did?

Are there stupid laws? Yes.

You titled this the way you did to imply "Well, if this is stupid, so are gun laws".

Yes, it is stupid for precisely the same reason that many gun laws are stupid. They passed the gun laws under the theory that it would lower crime, it has not. So now they are talking about banning ski masks in an attempt to achieve the same goal. I imagine that banning ski masks will work about as well as banning guns, not at all. Banning an item does not make it disappear- our "war on drugs" should be enough proof of that. So after banning ski masks fails to lower crime, what will they ban next? 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is not comparable to

This is not comparable to gun control. You can't make a gun with any random piece of cloth.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh dear

Beyond Saving wrote:

Big ski mask companies are knowingly selling their products to criminals, it is all about the money for those greedy sobs. Ski masks should be registered and stored in safes at licensed ski resorts. You shouldn't be able to buy a ski mask without a full background and mental health check. Obviously, if we got rid of all ski masks crime would drop dramatically.    

My face will out. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Big ski mask companies are knowingly selling their products to criminals, it is all about the money for those greedy sobs. Ski masks should be registered and stored in safes at licensed ski resorts. You shouldn't be able to buy a ski mask without a full background and mental health check. Obviously, if we got rid of all ski masks crime would drop dramatically.    

My face will out. 

Laughing out loud

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno