Logic appreciative thinker here

movin4ward
atheistScience Freak
movin4ward's picture
User is offlineOffline
Logic appreciative thinker here

I was born lucky enough to have a somewhat functioning brain(debatable), after 34 years, I thunk me way out of a sociopathic pentecostal cult... With my dark past, I unknowingly tend to overwhelm people at times so I chose to introduce myself in phases and keep this one short. I realize long winded posts can at times be emotionally draining and require an elevated level of focus. Everyday I work on ways to improve communications in a concise manner without coming off as an self deprecating, aspergers ridden dunce...

The past is the past, being in denial and lying about my drug use when I was younger only steeded the situation much further down the rabbit hole than I had ever intended. Being honest and open about my present turmoil, versus masking it behind alcohol, denial, blind faith and fear- much, much better for all...

I'll stick around and try to shed some light if I can. Being an ex holy roller turned partier, switching back to god and finally waking up has been an emotional roller coaster that has given me an interesting perspective of both worlds, helping me to finally see the sheer, deranged insanity of christianity. I can safely say that I've yet encountered a group of drug addicts act as silly as them their flip flappin, insane in the slain, hootin n howlin, hand clappin foot stompin, tongue talkin, pew poundin', drunk n da krunk after their dunk n da tank, floor jigglin' christians.

I'm excited to attempt my first writeup. I sit here intrigued that my selection of music over the years stem from the differing bands remenating their atheistical roots (some indoctrinationally speaking). Tool, NIN, 3EB(third eye blind) 311, Prong, Blue October have a great view on religion and really hit home with me. I'm researching the childhoods of the band members looking for connections.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
NIN resonated most with me

NIN resonated most with me growing up (I'm 35).  "The Downward Spiral" is likely my favorite album.  Songs like, "Hurt", "March of the Pigs" and basically the whole album used to send me in a trance as an emotionally charged teenager.  Alas, as I've matured I've developed a more eclectic taste, save country music which I have unsuccessfully given a chance to.  I now listen to classical, chillstep, and mostly background music as I read/study.  I think I lack the emotional involvement to give myself to music the way I used to.  I may also be too critical/cynical towards anything overly emotional.  It comes from years of treating emotions with suspicion, both in myself and others.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:  Alas, as

Ktulu wrote:

Alas, as I've matured I've developed a more eclectic taste, save country music which I have unsuccessfully given a chance to.  

Strangely enough, I used to profess a known dislike for country music. But, perhaps it is because I have lived in the South for so long, or perhaps it is because I did work on truck lines (I have yet to work at truck line that did not keep the radio on the dock tuned to country music) but I have gotten to where I actually like country music.

Not only that, but I actually like the traditional type of redneck country rather than the pop/country that dominates the airwaves.

I knew that I was susceptible to it, when I found my headphones were funneling in the sounds of Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Loretta Lynn, Charley Pride, Randy Travis, and Tammy Wynette when I was wrenching on the bike one day.

I am not sure how when this brainwashing took place, but it happened.

You know that the brainwashing is complete, when your hearing the slide of steel guitars and hearing a song about pick-ups, dogs, drinking, and ex-wives, and your snapping your fingers and singing off key along with it. Cause you can relate to some of it  Smiling

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Shudder* That was a

*Shudder*

That was a nightmare of a story. I must play Unforgiven and forget it.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah me too.

harleysportster wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

Alas, as I've matured I've developed a more eclectic taste, save country music which I have unsuccessfully given a chance to.  

Strangely enough, I used to profess a known dislike for country music. But, perhaps it is because I have lived in the South for so long, or perhaps it is because I did work on truck lines (I have yet to work at truck line that did not keep the radio on the dock tuned to country music) but I have gotten to where I actually like country music.

Not only that, but I actually like the traditional type of redneck country rather than the pop/country that dominates the airwaves.

I knew that I was susceptible to it, when I found my headphones were funneling in the sounds of Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Loretta Lynn, Charley Pride, Randy Travis, and Tammy Wynette when I was wrenching on the bike one day.

I am not sure how when this brainwashing took place, but it happened.

You know that the brainwashing is complete, when your hearing the slide of steel guitars and hearing a song about pick-ups, dogs, drinking, and ex-wives, and your snapping your fingers and singing off key along with it. Cause you can relate to some of it  Smiling

Don't mind a bit of Dillard and Clark or Tracy Lawrence or Flatlanders when I'm bowling along a dirt road in the country in the 1964 XM Falcon ute.

Mmmm. I'm track picky, though. Nothing tooooo cloying... But I agree that country is relate-able. 

That line about pick-ups, dogs, drinking, etc, made me think of this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKURiiuya1E

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

But I agree that country is relate-able. 

That line about pick-ups, dogs, drinking, etc, made me think of this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKURiiuya1E

Hehe. Good one

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I was young and trapped

When I was young and trapped I listened to the beatles and dylan. Dylan's Shelter From The Storm really appealed to me. I intuitively knew the mess that was my childhood and needed saving away from something. Didn't know then, but now I know it was my low self esteem as a product of a violent and religious childhood.

I also love NIN and listened to it endlessly when I first got it.

On the classical side, which was blessed by the church, I ultimately gravitated to Shostakovich. He lived through the horror of Russian Communism and in particular Stalin (symphonies 4 through 9). The oppression and fear yet courage all come through. He truly was a brilliant man.

My favorite symphony of his is his 11th symphony. Gergiev has a version out on youtube. It always fills me with so many emotions, named and unnamed.

Music kept me sane in those religious years. It at times was my only escape.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Opie

Opie,

So instead of using logical comprehensive critical thinking you emotionally reacted from being a pentecostal to an agnostic. You gave zero critical thinking in this, but simply became moody.

You see in logic, questions are extremely important. Correct Questions lead to Correct Answers. Incorrect Questions lead to incorrect answers.

and when you use emotion instead of logic not asking any questions at all like in your case this causes others to have little respect in your public educated stupidity.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look who reared it's ugly

Look who reared it's ugly head here again, Jean Chauvin. Oh to the newbie, in the OP, just to remind you this theistard Jean(the moron with the  stalker avatar), here started a thread about the Japanese Tsunami that killed 13,000 people, and claimed it was a warning to America for not finding god. Dip shit didn't know my x wife was Japanese.

Just so you know what you are dealing with if you decide to converse with this moron.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog