FPS video games can improve damaged eyesight

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
FPS video games can improve damaged eyesight

A study conducted by researchers at McMaster University indicates that playing first person shooter games can help improve the eyesight of people with conditions like amblyopia or cataracts.

Researchers at McMaster had seven people with preexisting eye conditions play Medal of Honor, which was released on the Xbox 360 in 2010.

Participants were all born with cataracts that were removed — but because of their condition, their vision never developed to 20/20. Six of the seven were not gamers.

They played the game for 10 hours straight in a controlled environment, and then two hours a day only until they reached 40 hours of play.

“We brought them back four weeks later and they all had improved vision,” Lewis said.

The participants found improvements in detail, perception of motion and in low contrast settings.

By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: Sep 2, 2012 9:21 AM ET
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/09/01/hamilton-video-game-eyesight-study.html

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
So annoying when I want to

So annoying when I want to fit one more line but run out of room halfway through. So fuck it, I'll add three.

"In essence, players could now read about one to one-and-a-half more lines on an optometrist's eye chart.

Researchers don't know exactly how playing the game was able to help restore some vision for the patients.

They hypothesize the adrenaline created playing the came creates dopamine — which when combined with the level of attention to detail players need in a Medal of Honor match — can actually rewire visual connections in the brain."

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Huzzah! I have a good excuse

Huzzah! I have a good excuse to play games now!

Seriously, though, this is pretty interesting.