Kirk Cameron defends Todd Akin''s Rape Remarks

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kirk Cameron defends Todd Akin''s Rape Remarks

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/21/kirk-cameron-defends-todd-akin-i-respect-him/

Kirk Cameron defends Todd Akin: ‘I respect him’

By David Edwards
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:47 EDT

Christian conservative actor and activist Kirk Cameron on Tuesday offered praise for a Republican Senate candidate who recently said that women were less likely to get pregnant through “legitimate” rape.

During an interview on CNN, host Soledad O’Brien asked Cameron if Rep. Todd Akin should give up his bid for the Senate after telling KTVI that “the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” referring to pregnancy as a result of so-called “legitimate rape.”

“You know, I would encourage people to sit down and watch the video,” Cameron advised “You know, he clearly is a pro-life advocate, and for that, I respect him.”

“He said that he misspoke and that he mis-phrased something, and he apologized,” the actor-turn-evangelist added. “I’m the kind of person that believes that I would like to be evaluated by my entire career and my entire life, not two words that I would misspeak and then later apologize for. So, he’s in a tough spot.”

Amid calls from Republicans for him to quit the race, Akin admitted on Tuesday that he had “made a couple of serious mistakes,” but insisted that he was “not a quitter.”

The congressman has until 5 p.m. on Tuesday to step aside. After that, a court order would be required to remove his name from the ballot.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Akin is hanging on

Why, I haven't a clue.  He says he is not a quitter.  If I lived there, I wouldn't vote for someone so stupid.  How long to you have to beat your head against a wall to figure out it is a bad deal?

I never was impressed with Kirk Cameron, either.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
What the fuck

is legitimate rape?

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Legitimate rape? Republicans

Legitimate rape?
Republicans know women most of the times were asking for it. Just look at how they dress. If they get pregnant that confirms they wanted it to happen. These men know when a woman says no they mean yes. Funny how these men just know this stuff. But as christ is head of the church so men are head of the women. Such controlling dicks, literally.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

is legitimate rape?

I don't get that either. I can't believe guys like Huckabee and Akin are to suggest that a pregnancy can not result from a rape "because a woman's body will generally deal with it". But also said that it could be taken as a gift from god. In another posting I put on here Huckabee said that "several good things have come from pregnancies that were a result of a rape". Tell that to the rape victim Huckabee, you sick fuck.

The fact that such statements are made in the media just tells me that the theistic control and the pro-life crowd are fast decaying and losing their grip.

It's pretty hard to say that a woman has no right to choose, when she has been raped. By stating that rape was, in Huckabee's words : "a blessing from god". They Rethugs have just dug themselves in a little deeper.

Plus, what makes Akin and Huckabee biological experts to say that the woman's body generally is not going to get pregnant from a rape anyway ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Harley, Jesus whispers it

Harley,
Jesus whispers it in Akins and Huckabees ears. Knowing jesus makes you an expert in everything.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Plus,

harleysportster wrote:

Plus, what makes Akin and Huckabee biological experts to say that the woman's body generally is not going to get pregnant from a rape anyway ?

How can such stupid people rise to positions of power in your country? I may not like many (any) of the politicians here, but at least they have some intelligence.*

*excluding some members of the house of lords, namely those who are senile, and those who are bishops - I still 'wtf?' when I think about this archaic rubbish.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
He never struck me as a 'love the one your with' type . . .

Mr. Cameron never struck me as a 'love the one your with' type of guy  . . . 

Harley wrote:
Kirk Cameron defends Todd Akin 's Rape Remarks

Instead of jumping to the guy's defense, perhaps take the opportunity to examine what this Todd Akin really thinks instead of defending him because of  a Pro-Life stance. However sleep deprived I honestly dont think words like that would ever come out of my mouth that came from Akin. He didnt catch himself, in the interview.  What are his views on Guantanamo Base/Camp ? I wonder, Lisa Ling (on Our America) did an exposé, in which, a faith healer was under allegations  of having committed adultery. Would Kirk defend that man or comment on his views about faith healing without bothering to finding out what had happened surrounding those allegations ? 

Young Frankenstein was one of my favorite movies, but the rape scene of Madeline Kahn utterly ruins the movie for me.  The only way I can enjoy the movie is to consider the source, Mel Brooks goes too far and this is yet another example in this scene.  More is the pity because the movie was Brook's crowning achievement , (muttering to myself).

:

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is onlineOnline
I can't see this doing Kirk

I can't see this doing Kirk any good. It certainly won't help the senator. Rather curious as to the point of defending a guy who already shot his chances of election down.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

How can such stupid people rise to positions of power in your country? I may not like many (any) of the politicians here, but at least they have some intelligence.*

*excluding some members of the house of lords, namely those who are senile, and those who are bishops - I still 'wtf?' when I think about this archaic rubbish.

I must say, that baffles me myself. I currently reside in the Bible Belt ( have lived here in the Southern Region of the United States for quite some time now ) and some of the ignorance that I encounter among otherwise intelligent people is astounding.

Talk about compartmentalization and confirmation bias at it's finest.

I had a seemingly intelligent person tell me with a straight face, not too long ago, that me believing in the Big Bang would be like putting faith in a tornado going through a junkyard and assembling a car. Sometimes, when I get arguments like these, it is simply the sheer stupidity of them that makes me wonder what the point in even TRYING to debate with these people are.

Like Vastet pointed out to me on another forum though; when I often debate with theists on my local newspaper's forums, it is generally for the sake of the individuals reading the threads and not for the hopeless cases that I am arguing with. Much like the conspiracy theorist that I work with that thinks the Colorado shootings and the Sikh Temple shootings are the byproduct of some shadowy FBI plot to try and take all the firearms away from the people. I don't argue with him because I think he'll see any reason (after all, he states that I am obviously lacking intelligence because I can't SEE that 9/11 was an inside government job). I argue with him to keep others from buying into his bullshit.

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Why, I haven't a

cj wrote:

Why, I haven't a clue.  He says he is not a quitter.  If I lived there, I wouldn't vote for someone so stupid.  How long to you have to beat your head against a wall to figure out it is a bad deal?

I just don't see how any woman ( Republican or Pro-Life ) could honestly back up statements like these. I can't even picture radical right-wingers like Ann Coulter backing this one up. There is another  one like Coulter, but I can't think of her name. Sapient debated her one time. But I can't see them backing this up.

HOWEVER. My local newspaper ran this story ( I get my local news online, so much easier than getting the paper delivered to the front door) and the comments were along the line of:  " This is just a bunch of radicals trying to ruin the pro-life movement." Confirmation bias and compartmentalization strike again.

I live within walking distance of the local Memphis, TN. Planned Parenthood, and have to ride by them everyday. The pro-lifers and the churches that stand across the street were conducting business as usual this morning.

I wish someone from the local newmedia would ask them what they think about this latest thing.

― Giordano Bruno

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I live

harleysportster wrote:

I live within walking distance of the local Memphis, TN. Planned Parenthood, and have to ride by them everyday. The pro-lifers and the churches that stand across the street were conducting business as usual this morning.

I wish someone from the local newmedia would ask them what they think about this latest thing.

The amount of misinformation about Planned Parenthood is astounding --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejYoV_UzGFk&feature=player_embedded

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

is legitimate rape?

I am not defending the fuckwad, but I think, since I am not an idiot, and only guessing here. He might have been talking about the difference between non consensual sex, which all rape is most certainly, but might have been trying to say "buyers remorse after the fact" or "statutory" meaning sex between 18 year old and a 16 year old that was consensual is not "legitimate rape".

I think he was also stupidly implying that women will lie to get a man in trouble, or to save face in a conservative community because she shouldn't have been a "slut" so uses "rape" as an excuse. Sick crap in any case.

Oh and fuck you Kirk, Growing Pains sucked.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
She has such a crush . . .

Link image .. kat_von_d_stop_tattooing_yourself.jpg

Brian37 wrote:
Brian37 said, Oh and fuck you Kirk, Growing Pains sucked.

[size]

<p>-</p> [size=13]She has such a crush . . 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote:Link

danatemporary wrote:

Link image .. kat_von_d_stop_tattooing_yourself.jpg

Brian37 wrote:
Brian37 said, Oh and fuck you Kirk, Growing Pains sucked.

[size]

<p>-</p> [size=13]She has such a crush . . 

Huh? A bit confused.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
She has such a crush on Kirk . . .

Sorry Middle of editing ..

SHE has such a crush on Kirk

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Why, I haven't a

cj wrote:

Kirk Cameron is a total f*cking brainless MORON!!

Akin is losing by 10 points in the latest poll to his challenger, Claire McKaskill. I REALLY doubt Akin wins.  The Senate should stay in the Dems hands. Now all we need is Obama to win to keep the religious loons away from the White House!!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:cj

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

cj wrote:

Kirk Cameron is a total f*cking brainless MORON!!

Akin is losing by 10 points in the latest poll to his challenger, Claire McKaskill. I REALLY doubt Akin wins.  The Senate should stay in the Dems hands. Now all we need is Obama to win to keep the religious loons away from the White House!!

I think the status quo at this point is unfortunately going to be maintained. It sucks that the best dems can do right now is keep it a stale mate. But if that remains the case for another 4 years, it will be nothing but the continuing scorched earth policy the right has because they are brats who cant stand progress. If Obama wins, the republicans wont cooperate and will have the same childish mentality like a kid who screams in the grocery store until the parent buys them the candy bar and if we don't buy them the candy bar, they will shout in the middle of the isle "DADDY WHY ARE YOU HITTING ME, WHAT DID I DO".

It is a standoff right now unfortunately, and the only way(which seems to have been crippled by the supreme court in the Citizens United verdict) which can break this was the anti monopoly attitude the founders had.

I think this is no longer a one or two cycle election solution, but a cultural war which may take a generation.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:If Obama wins,

Brian37 wrote:

If Obama wins, the republicans wont cooperate and will have the same childish mentality like a kid who screams in the grocery store until the parent buys them the candy bar and if we don't buy them the candy bar, they will shout in the middle of the isle "DADDY WHY ARE YOU HITTING ME, WHAT DID I DO".

You give them too much credit... They will in effect sit down in the middle of the aisle and roll around on the floor bawling their heads off. It would take some creativity on their part to do something that showed any sort of planning.

They are following Ayn Rand to the letter, the Tea Party anyway. Only evil wins in compromise... and Democrats are by definition evil to them.

And it's not like the Tea Party did not make it very clear they would not compromise, they did. Mainstream Republicans and Democrats thought they would put the people's business ahead of their agenda, however, that was not what they said they would do if elected. They did exactly as promised and will continue to do it.

And the Dems will give in as the spineless weaklings they are, they need to grow a pair.

What needs to happen is Congress needs to accomplish absolutely nothing. The Dems need to play the same game and not compromise at all. The government then would grind to a halt and American voters can get even more pissed off at Congress.

All of them need to be spanked.

And Brian it's not that they are brats who can't stand progess, they are completely opposed to the program promoted by the Democrats. They see progress in a different light.

Progress to them is:

A ban on all abortion; a ban on gay marriage; elimination of all social welfare programs in all levels of government; everyone pays the same amount of tax, not a percent, the same amount; Christianity is named the state religion....

Brian37 wrote:

I think this is no longer a one or two cycle election solution, but a cultural war which may take a generation.

How long did it take Rome to disintegrate?

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is onlineOnline
I don't see much of a future

I don't see much of a future for the US the way things are going. The empire is on the verge of collapse. Neither party has a strategy to pull them back from the brink. Though I will say that the Republican strategy will accelerate the process faster than the Democrat strategy, they both go down the same road.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:How long did it take

Quote:
How long did it take Rome to disintegrate?

Not long.

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I don't see

Vastet wrote:
I don't see much of a future for the US the way things are going. The empire is on the verge of collapse. Neither party has a strategy to pull them back from the brink. Though I will say that the Republican strategy will accelerate the process faster than the Democrat strategy, they both go down the same road.

(Assuming your predictions are accurate) Are you worried at all that they will bring Canada down with them?

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is onlineOnline
ThunderJones wrote:Vastet

ThunderJones wrote:

Vastet wrote:

(Assuming your predictions are accurate) Are you worried at all that they will bring Canada down with them?

A little, though we seem more capable of weathering the economic storm judging from recent history. We also have allies beyond the US. But it's unlikely that Canada will be unaffected.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:ThunderJones

Vastet wrote:
ThunderJones wrote:

Vastet wrote:

A little, though we seem more capable of weathering the economic storm judging from recent history. We also have allies beyond the US. But it's unlikely that Canada will be unaffected.

i think you guys will always be fine.  as far as food and natural resources of every kind go, you guys always have a crazy surplus, don't you?  i mean, besides obvious things like electronics and cars, just what the hell do you guys import?   

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is onlineOnline
One thing is, ironically,

One thing is, ironically, oil. We don't have a lot of refineries, if any. So we drill oil, export it, then import the finished product.
Other than that the only thing that comes to mind is entertainment. It's a question I've rarely considered. I should look it up.

Edit:
http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cimt-cicm/home-accueil?lang=eng
http://suite101.com/article/canadas-top-exports-imports-a25174

Looking through it, there isn't much there that we are incapable of producing ourselves. But for whatever reason(s) we don't. Or at least, not in sufficient quantity to meet demand.