Common parasite may trigger suicide attempts

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Common parasite may trigger suicide attempts

science daily wrote:

"Previous research has found signs of inflammation in the brains of suicide victims and people battling depression, and there also are depression, and there also are previous reports linking previous reports linking Toxoplasma gondii to suicide attempts," she gondii said. "In our study we found that if you are positive for the parasite, you are seven times more likely to attempt suicide." attempt suicide."

Common Parasite May Trigger Suicide Attempts

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120816170400.htm

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
sort like h. pylori

My father-in-law had a friend who had an stomach ulcer from a very young age - high school, I think.  And he became a psychiatrist trying to figure out why he was doing this to himself.  He was very rueful when, in his 60s, they discovered h. pylori and cured his ulcer with a single course of antibiotics.

I hope we get to that point for people with depression.  It may not be antibiotics, but whatever works best on this particular parasite.  Is it better or worse when you discover your depression was cause by a parasite and not what your parents or friends or yourself did to you?

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
CJ....

Or you are inheritly evil, demon possessed or other religious bs.

Modern science!

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Or you are

ex-minister wrote:

Modern science!

Does that mean I have to make my head spin around and throw up green slime all over?  Nah ... I'll skip it and go for mother's little helper.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is not new news. Fox

This is not new news. Fox News has been a parasite for a couple decades now.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37, Oh yeah? How come

Brian37,
Oh yeah? How come those in contact with the fox parasite haven't tried to kill themselves? You might be thinking of a different type of parasite. Eye-wink

Religion Kills !!!

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Or you are

ex-minister wrote:

Modern science!

I so agree with you there. I wonder how many people out there that have been told by theists and others that it was all their fault they were depressed and suicidal  that could be helped by this.

I totally hate it when people say suicides are "selfish". I had a good friend commit suicide (he couldn't kick a heroin habit) when I was a kid. All the people in my church talked about how "selfish" that he was and they hoped god would forgive him his evils, but they seriously doubted it. (Catholics believe in the possibility of purgatory).

Even back then, when I was a theist, I could not get that. It seemed that if someone wanted to take their own life because of their inherent misery, that was an act of total despair and a need for help.

What did all the the people of my church tell him during his final days ? "Think of your parents, pray to god for guidance, beg god for foriveness on your knees, stop being so selfish and self-centered, blah, blah, blah". Fuck christianity and it's false hopes.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Brian37,

ex-minister wrote:
Brian37,
Oh yeah? How come those in contact with the fox parasite haven't tried to kill themselves? You might be thinking of a different type of parasite. Eye-wink

I dunno. Just because there aren't statistics backing up the suggestion that faux has caused people to suicide doesn't mean it hasn't happened. > >

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Brian37,

ex-minister wrote:
Brian37, Oh yeah? How come those in contact with the fox parasite haven't tried to kill themselves? You might be thinking of a different type of parasite. Eye-wink

Because they ones who swallow their crap have the credulity gene which makes them immune to facts.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:ex-minister

cj wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Modern science!

Does that mean I have to make my head spin around and throw up green slime all over?  Nah ... I'll skip it and go for mother's little helper.

I do that every 2 and a half months when the health inspector could pop in on the joint I work at, just ask my co workers. THEY LOVE ME during that period. Oh when I say "THEY LOVE ME" I mean they want to kill me.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Back home....

A woman came home to find her husband in the livingroom with a gun to his head, apperently it was not a good marriage, she laughed at him and told him to "go Ahead" .  He snapped back "don't laugh at  me bitch!!!!  Your next!!!!" It was his last words.    

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

Your next!!!!" It was his last words.    

So how did he manage to blow his brains out and then make sure that she was "next" ?  Did he come back from the dead to make sure she was "next". 

I've heard of murder / suicides but never suicide / murders.   This isn't exactly journalistic excellence.

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe he aimed the gun at

Maybe he aimed the gun at her and placed his own head in the middle?