Major Advance Made in Generating Electricity from Wastewater

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Major Advance Made in Generating Electricity from Wastewater

ScienceDaily (Aug. 13, 2012) — Engineers at Oregon State University have made a breakthrough in the performance of microbial fuel cells that can produce electricity directly from wastewater, opening the door to a future in which waste treatment plants not only will power themselves, but will sell excess electricity.
The new technology developed at OSU can now produce 10 to 50 more times the electricity, per volume, than most other approaches using microbial fuel cells, and 100 times more electricity than some.
Researchers say this could eventually change the way that wastewater is treated all over the world, replacing the widely used "activated sludge" process that has been in use for almost a century. The new approach would produce significant amounts of electricity while effectively cleaning the wastewater.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120813155525.htm

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Cool

Cool

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:ScienceDaily

Vastet wrote:
ScienceDaily (Aug. 13, 2012) — Engineers at Oregon State University have made a breakthrough in the performance of microbial fuel cells that can produce electricity directly from wastewater, opening the door to a future in which waste treatment plants not only will power themselves, but will sell excess electricity. The new technology developed at OSU can now produce 10 to 50 more times the electricity, per volume, than most other approaches using microbial fuel cells, and 100 times more electricity than some. Researchers say this could eventually change the way that wastewater is treated all over the world, replacing the widely used "activated sludge" process that has been in use for almost a century. The new approach would produce significant amounts of electricity while effectively cleaning the wastewater. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120813155525.htm

Now lets see how quickly Republicans and Libertarians say we shoudn't invest in that because a public project, like our highway system and Hoover damn never did shit for society nor did the tax dollars that built it go to private contractors.

Oh shit, a public university discovered this? GOD DAMNED FUCKING COMMIES!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Vastet

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:
ScienceDaily (Aug. 13, 2012) — Engineers at Oregon State University have made a breakthrough in the performance of microbial fuel cells that can produce electricity directly from wastewater, opening the door to a future in which waste treatment plants not only will power themselves, but will sell excess electricity. The new technology developed at OSU can now produce 10 to 50 more times the electricity, per volume, than most other approaches using microbial fuel cells, and 100 times more electricity than some. Researchers say this could eventually change the way that wastewater is treated all over the world, replacing the widely used "activated sludge" process that has been in use for almost a century. The new approach would produce significant amounts of electricity while effectively cleaning the wastewater. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120813155525.htm

Now lets see how quickly Republicans and Libertarians say we shoudn't invest in that because a public project, like our highway system and Hoover damn never did shit for society nor did the tax dollars that built it go to private contractors.

Uh...

What's stopping private companies from making use of this?

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJones wrote:Brian37

ThunderJones wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Uh...

Nothing. But how do you think massive projects in our history get built? TAX PAYERS PAYING FOR PRIVATE CONTRACTORS.

But I guess government paying of private contractors is ok when you own stock in oil or the military industry? Then public money going to private contractors is ok?

If the private sector, even without government contracts, takes advantage of it, how do you think this article got written? BECAUSE TAX PAYERS funded a PUBLIC UNIVERSITY to work on this.

I am so sick of the Libertarian/ Republican attitude of "government always bad". Make you a deal, if you hate government so much, then don't use the information a GOVERNMENT TAX PAYER OWNED UNIVERSITY found. And tell the private sector never to accept a government contract.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:ThunderJones

Brian37 wrote:

ThunderJones wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Uh...

Nothing. But how do you think massive projects in our history get built? TAX PAYERS PAYING FOR PRIVATE CONTRACTORS.

But I guess government paying of private contractors is ok when you own stock in oil or the military industry? Then public money going to private contractors is ok?

If the private sector, even without government contracts, takes advantage of it, how do you think this article got written? BECAUSE TAX PAYERS funded a PUBLIC UNIVERSITY to work on this.

I am so sick of the Libertarian/ Republican attitude of "government always bad". Make you a deal, if you hate government so much, then don't use the information a GOVERNMENT TAX PAYER OWNED UNIVERSITY found. And tell the private sector never to accept a government contract.

You have quite the habit of going off on the handle on rants and projecting like crazy. Emphasis added in quote as example of pure projection.

Not sure what this whole reply's purpose even was (besides the one word at the beginning), I never said I hated the government, nor did I say that public funding of private contracted works is always bad.

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stay out of his head. You

Stay out of his head. You may lose yourself. Sticking out tongue

Brian's a passionate guy who occasionally reads something and feels the need to rant. He isn't always addressing someone specifically when he does so, even if he quoted them.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.