God is almost omnipotent. He has many limits.

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline

Omnipotent is defined in part as having power or authority without limits IOW, almighty.

Seems to me that God has a few limits.

He cannot reproduce true.
He cannot enjoy sex.
He cannot reproduce without bestiality or cross species breeding.
He can only reproduce half breed chimeras like Jesus.
He could not create a heaven without Satan.
He could not create Eden without evil in it.
He cannot control wayward demons or devils.
He cannot sin, although scripture says he does.
He cannot live without needs like adoration, honour, obedience, love.
He cannot accept a soul into heaven without us accepting Jesus and human sacrifice.
He could not forgive sin without having Jesus sacrificed.
Feel free to add to this list.

How then can Christians say that God omnipotent, all-powerful and without limits when he clearly has many?

Regards
DL

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Combined with all knowing he

Combined with all knowing he cannot have true emotions even though the bible says he does. If he knows everything he can not be surprised. How can he really hate someone for what they have done when he not only understand why but created them. There cannot be any regrets because he knows all options and obviously picked the perfect one. Also there really is no ability to change his mind, because he knows what he must do. It seems ludicrous for him to change his mind.Thus in that respect he is not all powerful.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline
Noted. Thanks.RegardsDL

Noted. Thanks.

Regards

DL

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 what do you mean god

what do you mean god cannot enjoy sex?

You don't think he lit candles and put on Barry White for the virgin Mary?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: what do

ex-minister wrote:

what do you mean god cannot enjoy sex?

You don't think he lit candles and put on Barry White for the virgin Mary?

No. I think he just told Joseph to take a long walk.

Regards

DL

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
what if like god, um, is

what if like god, um, is just like a dude...somewhere...with a petrie dish...and he just put a bunch of, um, shit together and, like, even doesn't know what he's doing.  and we're just like, um, microbes somewhere...and all this shit we dream up like, um, the bible...is just, like...our way with dealin' with it, ya know?

woooowww...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greatest I am wrote:God is

Greatest I am wrote:
God is almost omnipotent. He has many limits. Omnipotent is defined in part as having power or authority without limits IOW, almighty. Seems to me that God has a few limits. He cannot reproduce true. He cannot enjoy sex. He cannot reproduce without bestiality or cross species breeding. He can only reproduce half breed chimeras like Jesus. He could not create a heaven without Satan. He could not create Eden without evil in it. He cannot control wayward demons or devils. He cannot sin, although scripture says he does. He cannot live without needs like adoration, honour, obedience, love. He cannot accept a soul into heaven without us accepting Jesus and human sacrifice. He could not forgive sin without having Jesus sacrificed. Feel free to add to this list. How then can Christians say that God omnipotent, all-powerful and without limits when he clearly has many? Regards DL

Christians always dodge these questions and similar ones, by using the old dage "It'a about faith". 

Hmm, what would god have faith in ? Faith is really just a fancy word for doubt. So what would god have faith in if he is all knowing and seeing ? 

That would make god an Atheist wouldn't it ? 

On an even lighter note, christians can not even make up their minds on whether he can or can not create a rock so heavy he can not lift it. ( Yes, I know that we have all heard this one a hundred thousand times, but it is still funny to use on some of the holier than thous. I had a bible thumper say to me "Yes um, I mean no, um well he could um, you know, like um,". 

Strange how he didn't have any bible verses to throw at me from that one. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:On an

harleysportster wrote:

On an even lighter note, christians can not even make up their minds on whether he can or can not create a rock so heavy he can not lift it. ( Yes, I know that we have all heard this one a hundred thousand times, but it is still funny to use on some of the holier than thous. I had a bible thumper say to me "Yes um, I mean no, um well he could um, you know, like um,". 

An even bigger mystery than a supposedly immovable rock vs God's alleged omnipotence is how God supposedly creates spiritual beings ( ie, angels, humans ) and declares them "perfect" then almost immediately has to create a cosmic trash dump called HELL in which to dispose of billions of his "perfect" creations.

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportsterhttp://www.you

harleysportster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu3VTngm1F0

I too get fed up with their faith mantra.

I sometimes just throw that link at them or one of the more caustic ones in my library.

It depends how ignorant the debater is. I use the word debater here real loosely.

Regards

DL

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

An even bigger mystery than a supposedly immovable rock vs God's alleged omnipotence is how God supposedly creates spiritual beings ( ie, angels, humans ) and declares them "perfect" then almost immediately has to create a cosmic trash dump called HELL in which to dispose of billions of his "perfect" creations.

Been there and got fed up with them throwing their free will card at me.

This following tends to shut them up.

Christians are always trying to absolve God of moral culpability in the fall by whipping out their favorite "free will!", or “ it’s all man’s fault”.

That is "God gave us free will and it was our free willed choices that caused our fall. Hence God is not blameworthy."

But this simply avoids God's culpability as the author of Human Nature. Free will is only the ability to choose. It is not an explanation why anyone would want to choose "A" or "B" (bad or good action). An explanation for why Eve would even have the nature of "being vulnerable to being easily swayed by a serpent" and "desiring to eat a forbidden fruit" must lie in the nature God gave Eve in the first place. Hence God is culpable for deliberately making humans with a nature-inclined-to-fall, and "free will" means nothing as a response to this problem.

If all sin by nature then, the sin nature is dominant. If not, we would have at least some who would not sin.

Regards
DL

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greatest I am wrote: Been

Greatest I am wrote:

Been there and got fed up with them throwing their free will card at me. This following tends to shut them up. Christians are always trying to absolve God of moral culpability in the fall by whipping out their favorite "free will!", or “ it’s all man’s fault”. That is "God gave us free will and it was our free willed choices that caused our fall. Hence God is not blameworthy." But this simply avoids God's culpability as the author of Human Nature. Free will is only the ability to choose. It is not an explanation why anyone would want to choose "A" or "B" (bad or good action). An explanation for why Eve would even have the nature of "being vulnerable to being easily swayed by a serpent" and "desiring to eat a forbidden fruit" must lie in the nature God gave Eve in the first place. Hence God is culpable for deliberately making humans with a nature-inclined-to-fall, and "free will" means nothing as a response to this problem. If all sin by nature then, the sin nature is dominant. If not, we would have at least some who would not sin. Regards DL

Very well put Greatest I Am. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline
I blush. Thanks.RegardsDL

I blush. Thanks.

Regards

DL